to 40757180

Re: [Rant] Mcdonalds Employee expects customer to clean their own spill

How did you react to his request?
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned)

said by Johkal:

I told her that is what she gets paid to do and left.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

2 recommendations

Johkal

MVM

As I agree that it is part of their job & an employee should never say anything like that to a customer, maybe a response as such would be appropriate:

"I'm sorry for the spill as it was an accident, but I don't appreciate being told to clean it up. I don't have the proper items to clean, whereas you do. Further more, I'm not employed here or insured to clean anything."

Just an example of a more elaborate way to handle it.
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned)

said by Johkal:

As I agree that it is part of their job & an employee should never say anything like that to a customer, maybe a response as such would be appropriate:

"I'm sorry for the spill as it was an accident, but I don't appreciate being told to clean it up. I don't have the proper items to clean, whereas you do. Further more, I'm not employed here or insured to clean anything."

Just an example of a more elaborate way to handle it.

The strange thing is they have a mop and mop bucket next to trashcan in the middle of the lobby. I was too pissed to say it like that.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

3 recommendations

Johkal

MVM

To nit-pick, you are never responsible to clean spills off the floor, only to clean general messes "as a courtesy" on the table after you are done.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to 40757180

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

said by Johkal:

that's the proper answer. it's extremely rude to ask a customer to do an employees' job!!. if they are too lazy to do their job, they should quit!. this situation is quite unheard of, btw, I've never heard an employee ask a customer to do their job!!.

Thistool
@50.121.72.x

1 recommendation

Thistool

Anon

I bet the OP informed the worker as they did in the post. It was rude of you to make a mess and expect to crack a whip to have them do as you please. If you talked to them the way you wrote this post one can only assume you are a rude individual and have no public manners. However much they make and or don't make should not be the question. I would not ask you for a ride then make a mess in your car and tell you to clean it. A worker at any restaurant gets paid to care for normal messes. Not a self entitled jerks, more then likely they responded with the rude comment as you where treating them like a donkey. Just returning the favor try a little kindness like the Canadians stated it might go a bit further.
40757180 (banned)

1 recommendation

40757180 (banned)

I actually didn't have a chance to say anything consider she was wiping table near and saw it as soon it happened. Also no I wasn't rude to her till she made that comment and then yes I was rude when I told her that it was her job to clean up. Also she should be used to it as I am sure that I am not the first or last person that by accident dropped a drink. This particular McDonald's got kids play area which likely means worker have to do this type of cleaning often.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

1 recommendation

KrK to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
I was at a McDonald's once on the turnpike getting a quick breakfast. A "Mother" and 3 children were getting up from a table where they had eaten and spread their trash and mess everywhere. The eldest child, a boy picked up the tray and started to take his trash to the nearby trash can. His mom berated him. "Don't clean that up.... that's THEIR job." They left leaving the mess.

Civilization. Or maybe not. Nice value system.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

said by KrK:

I was at a McDonald's once on the turnpike getting a quick breakfast. A "Mother" and 3 children were getting up from a table where they had eaten and spread their trash and mess everywhere. The eldest child, a boy picked up the tray and started to take his trash to the nearby trash can. His mom berated him. "Don't clean that up.... that's THEIR job." They left leaving the mess.

Civilization. Or maybe not. Nice value system.

Thanks for making MY point.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to 40757180

to 40757180

quote:
Thats kinda strange.... In most places I eat at they want to do it all!!! (If you try and help they usually try and take over)

I usually try and help at places,if i spill i clean it up (Unless they do it before) -- I collect the trays,etc......... Its just a nice thing to do

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

workablob to 40757180

to 40757180

I support your view in this Silentlooker. People seem to be interpolating information into this thread.

I would have acted no different than you did.

Accidents happen and this is part of the cost of doing business and any manager worth their salt knows this.

The customer is always right.

You were not abusing this edict imho.

Keep on Keeping on my friend.

Blob
workablob

workablob to KrK

to KrK
I always bus my own tray and I believe the fast food places encourage that behavior.

No liability there.

Some people have no outdoor skills.

Blob
workablob

workablob to 19579823

to 19579823

Re: ‏

said by 19579823:

quote:
Thats kinda strange.... In most places I eat at they want to do it all!!! (If you try and help they usually try and take over)

I usually try and help at places,if i spill i clean it up (Unless they do it before) -- I collect the trays,etc......... Its just a nice thing to do

That is because the management is realistic and instills customer satisfaction into their employees work ethic.

It is so much easier to take care of it and please the customer than to make a stink.

Retail Business 101.

Blob

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter to Johkal

to Johkal

So... In other words.. "Clean it up yourself. Bye"

Got it, I'll try that next time...

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

said by Johkal:

That was utterly rude and uncalled for!

I like that...