join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

5 recommendations

Mango to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180

Re: [Rant] Mcdonalds Employee expects customer to clean their own spill

said by 40757180:

WTF since when is it customer job to mop up soda spill?

If you were my kid, you better believe you would have cleaned it up.
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned)

said by Mango:

said by 40757180:

You expect your kids in public to clean up their own mess? Do you also expect them to get paid for it?

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

10 recommendations

Robert

Premium Member

said by 40757180:

said by Mango:

said by 40757180:

You expect your kids in public to clean up their own mess? Do you also expect them to get paid for it?

"their own mess". Uhh yes? Get off your high horse. If you make the mess, you should clean it up. Have some decency. You made the mess, you should clean it up.
40757180 (banned)

2 recommendations

40757180 (banned)

said by Robert:

"their own mess". Uhh yes? Get off your high horse. If you make the mess, you should clean it up. Have some decency. You made the mess, you should clean it up.

If i was working there yes I would have taken a mop and done it. However I am not an employee of McDonalds, I do not get paid by McDonalds and i am not cover under McDonals worker comp if i were to get hurt mopping the spill. Lastly that is what that employee gets paid.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
www.toao.net

6 recommendations

Mango to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

You expect your kids in public to clean up their own mess?

Absolutely. My rules are the same in public as they are at home.
said by 40757180:

Do you also expect them to get paid for it?

Of course not. Cleaning up the mess is a consequence for their behaviour. If I enforce it, they'll be more careful next time.

In the event that an employee offered to clean it up I would apologize and make sure my kid thanked them.
said by 40757180:

i am not cover under McDonals worker comp if i were to get hurt mopping the spill

In that unlikely event, the restaurant's general liability insurance would cover you. (Whether you have a good chance of winning such a suit is another question entirely.)
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned)

So you are saying that if you dropped your drink, you would have actually take a mop and cleaned it up? I wonder if it's Canadian thing as I am not sure i ever seen a customer ever do it before and I generally eat fast food few times a week. At most I seen customer clean their own table because there were no clean tables to sit at .
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
www.toao.net

5 recommendations

Mango

Premium Member

I would find an employee and ask for a mop to clean it with. More likely than not the employee would tell me not to worry about it, but I certainly would be prepared to do so.

I wouldn't just pour a drink on the floor and walk away. I hope courtesy is not strictly a Canadian concept.
murph1852
join:2003-06-25
Beloit, WI

5 recommendations

murph1852 to 40757180

to 40757180
i would absolutely expect my kids to clean up their own mess. I would be shocked if they did not offer to clean it up. If the employee said no that is fine. I do not expect them to get paid for it but absolutely expect them to clean it up, or offer to. I am dismayed and outraged at the number of people that would spill something, sometimes willfully, and not even think twice about it.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

5 recommendations

AsherN

Premium Member

I'll clean up my table, and pick up trash from the floor. A spill? No way. The liability for the restaurant is huge. If you get hurt using their equipment, you could sue them. Conversely, say you mop up a spill and someone slips on the wet floor? That could open you up for a lawsuit.
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned) to murph1852

to murph1852
I would love to hear what your kids have to say as I have a feeling it would be different.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

2 recommendations

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

So you're speaking from a kid's point of view then?

Jesus, why so much pride, just mop it up, or are you too entitled? I'd have cleaned it up. I'd have also told the manager that the employee told me to do so.
40757180 (banned)

1 edit

40757180 (banned)

said by signmeuptoo94:

So you're speaking from a kid's point of view then?

Jesus, why so much pride, just mop it up, or are you too entitled? I'd have cleaned it up. I'd have also told the manager that the employee told me to do so.

No I am taking from my point of view as I in my early 30s but I am betting most young adults would have same point of view as I do. As for why so much pride, first I don't work there and second that iswwhat that lady gets paid to do is clean up after other people. They should understand what they were hired to do.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

2 recommendations

workablob to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
I think Silent is right to make a stink. People go out to eat for an experience and mopping the floor does not enhance that. It was an accident and a good establishment that wants lots of repeat business will see it as such and take care of it. Now if the op was being a jerk and carelessly let it hit the floor then scoffed at the employee that is another story.

Blob
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to 40757180

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

I wonder if it's Canadian thing as I am not sure i ever seen a customer ever do it before and I generally eat fast food few times a week.

Yes, despite the fact the mayor of our largest city is a crack smoking obnoxious buffoon, we are more likely to.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

2 recommendations

TBBroadband to Mango

to Mango
I would have cleaned up my own as well. I have seen others clean up their messages in restaurants as well. Since when is it too much to ask to clean up after yourself???
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned)

I assume you meant to reply to me. Usually people go out and eat so they don't have clean up the mess that results after eating. Why would someone want to go and pay money and then also do the cleaning? I always throw away my trash if there are trashcans or stuck plates if in restaurant.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

2 recommendations

Johkal to AsherN

MVM

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

I'll clean up my table, and pick up trash from the floor. A spill? No way. The liability for the restaurant is huge. If you get hurt using their equipment, you could sue them. Conversely, say you mop up a spill and someone slips on the wet floor? That could open you up for a lawsuit.

Let us not forget the lady who sued over spilling the hot coffee on her self. Just imagine what conniving people will come up with cleaning floor spills. Let's see: "because I had to mop my own spill, I got a chemical burn from the floor cleaner, etc."

If I owned a F.F. franchise, I wouldn't want any customer near any cleaning supplies.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

So you are saying that if you dropped your drink, you would have actually take a mop and cleaned it up? I wonder if it's Canadian thing as I am not sure i ever seen a customer ever do it before and I generally eat fast food few times a week. At most I seen customer clean their own table because there were no clean tables to sit at .

I have done that. And yes, I am Canadian.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

1 recommendation

AsherN to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
Cleaning bucket and mop just hanging in the eating area is probably violating a number of health regulations.

[cranky mode on]
I'm so tired to hear about the coffee suit. She was right. The coffee was higher than industry standards, higher than safe temperature. McDonalds admitted as much. She won because had the coffee been at the correct temperature, she would not have suffered third degree burns.
[/cranky mode off]

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

shaner

Premium Member

said by AsherN:

=

[cranky mode on]
I'm so tired to hear about the coffee suit. She was right. The coffee was higher than industry standards, higher than safe temperature. McDonalds admitted as much. She won because had the coffee been at the correct temperature, she would not have suffered third degree burns.
[/cranky mode off]

Bingo. Or QFT, as the kids say these days.
shaner

3 recommendations

shaner to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
said by Johkal:

If I owned a F.F. franchise, I wouldn't want any customer near any cleaning supplies.

As a customer, I would walk up to an employee and say, "May I borrow your mop so I can clean up the mess I made?"

I'll bet 99.9% of the time, the employee will offer to clean it up for me. But I'd still be prepared to do it myself the other 0.01% of the time.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

1 recommendation

15444104 (banned) to peterboro

to peterboro
Actually it USED to be something not uncommon in the USA decades ago when parents tried to instill personal responsibility in their children. I was one of those children born in the mid 60s.

How sad it is that 'Merica has become so degenerate, thoughtless, and cynical.

It is one thing to have crumbs left on the table, it another to spill a cup of sticky soda all over the place and leave it there.

ILikeMe is correct, if I or my children had spilled that soda, I would have had them use napkins to clean it up as much as possible, if a mop was nearby I would have quickly mopped the rest to dry it.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

2 recommendations

CylonRed to AsherN

MVM

to AsherN
My cranky mode on - to have a court or other group to determine the 'right' temp for a hot beverage is pure idiotic to begin with due to protecting people from themselves and doing idiotic things that defy common sense.

I don't drink a lot f coffee but.at my current job I have fo nuke the coffee to get it to a temp where it is not cold after 5 minutes. In fact a number of the employees do. Likely in large part do to the lack of common sense.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

said by CylonRed:

My cranky mode on - to have a court or other group to determine the 'right' temp for a hot beverage is pure idiotic to begin with due to protecting people from themselves and doing idiotic things that defy common sense.

I don't drink a lot f coffee but.at my current job I have fo nuke the coffee to get it to a temp where it is not cold after 5 minutes. In fact a number of the employees do. Likely in large part do to the lack of common sense.

I can't believe it somebody else is mentioning that phrase
"common sense". I though I was one of the few left that still believed that it should be expected out of people.

Thank you.

OldCableGuy
@communications.net

3 recommendations

OldCableGuy to CylonRed

Anon

to CylonRed
My cranky mode on --

The woman had to get SKIN GRAFTS after having the coffee spilled on her. The McDonalds franchise had been warned multiple times to turn the temperature down of their coffee. They were serving it in excess of industry standards in an attempt to make sure customers couldn't get a refill before leaving. All she wanted was the cost of her medical bills covered, and in the end she didn't even get that. This case is cited frequently as an example of a frivelous law suit, but it is quite the opposite, it's an example of a big company ignoring common sense and the warnings of many people, and in the end getting off more or less scott free.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

Common sense would most likely tell you to not put hot items such as coffee between your legs, but let's go on some more about this "common sense" thing...
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to AsherN

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

Cleaning bucket and mop just hanging in the eating area is probably violating a number of health regulations.

Probably some work environment and public space safety regulations as well... you just don't leave unused equipment lying around in public spaces where people may trip or otherwise injure themselves with it.
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned)

said by InvalidError:

said by AsherN:

Probably some work environment and public space safety regulations as well... you just don't leave unused equipment lying around in public spaces where people may trip or otherwise injure themselves with it.

honestly seen it in many McDonald's so must me okay.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
said by Cheese:

Common sense would most likely tell you to not put hot items such as coffee between your legs, but let's go on some more about this "common sense" thing...

Do you have any idea how hot a liquid has to be in order to cause 3rd degree burns? 140°F. An undrinkable temperature. Go check your hot water tank and tell me if it's set that high. Is keeping and serving coffee at that extreme temperature common sense?

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

Actually, my water heater was when I moved in, and because of my newborn daughter I turned it down.