Premium Member
join:2011-01-20
Frankfort, IL

XLBroadband

Premium Member

Fast, Reliable, Unlimited Data / Fast, Reliable, Unlimited Internet

Click for full size
Click for full size
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to make a bunch of signs and I'm wondering which copy would be most easily understood by the general public.

I want to convey that I have Unlimited Data Usage, but these signs are smaller and I can't really write too much on here.

I know I'll probably get many different answers but what do you guys think would be most easily understood?

Fast, Reliable,
Unlimited Internet

Fast, Reliable,
Unlimited Data

Fast & Reliable,
With Unlimited Data

Fast & Reliable,
Unlimited Data Use

»www.xlinternetnow.com/im ··· data.jpg

»www.xlinternetnow.com/im ··· rnet.jpg
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by XLBroadband :

Fast, Reliable,
Unlimited Internet

This is the one I'd choose, if for no other reason that I read it as listing 3 features of the internet connection. Fast, reliable, and unlimited.

The only real downside I can think of is that it makes the sign a little redundant as it uses the word "internet" 3 times, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to XLBroadband

Premium Member

to XLBroadband
Where are these signs going to be located? Roadside?

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

1 edit

DaSneaky1D to XLBroadband

MVM

to XLBroadband
Is it really unlimited?

EDIT --

To clarify... with the amount of noise "unlimited" service has caused in the provider world, advertising it could draw those that look to challenge it and cause needless headaches if an AUP/TOS is applied to protect your network.

Other than that, "Internet" sounds better, but the fonts used in the phone number and URL could stand a little attention. Has it been attempted with matching what's found on the website? Those are much easier on the eyes.

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich to XLBroadband

to XLBroadband
@ DaSneaky1D I think he means by "unlimited" is NO CAPS in service.
kc9sqr
join:2011-11-10
Rockford, IL

2 recommendations

kc9sqr

said by treich:

@ DaSneaky1D I think he means by "unlimited" is NO CAPS in service.

I believe what he's getting after is. Is the service REALLY unlimited? There have been problems in the past with companies advertising unlimited internet, then turning around and complaining about a specific customer downloading over a certain amount each month.. Even though you'll never get a straight answer as to how much is too much because it is after all unlimited access...

I would word it as "no caps" instead of unlimited, or even "unlimited access"..
As we all here well know by now, the total BW that a WISP can offer really is limited, unlike wired, there is only so much that can go around, and has to be shared among everyone on the specific access point...

I do agree with DaSneaky1d that advertising it as "unlimited" might attract those "problem customers" that have already left other ISP's (or WISP's) and want to come clog up yours and test just how much CAN they suck up before someone calls...

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to XLBroadband

Premium Member

to XLBroadband
I'd suggest that the words "unlimited [whatever]" be completely deleted (given the particular issues with the word) and the focus be made on "Fast & Reliable".
bburley
join:2010-04-30
Cold Lake, AB

1 recommendation

bburley to XLBroadband

to XLBroadband
What about "unmetered". Means you are not measuring it but you can still respond to a congestion issue.

XLBroadband
Premium Member
Frankfort, IL

XLBroadband

Premium Member

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses. I will also be responding again soon but I'm trying to get a few more towers online in order to complete my network and I have some customers to take care of too. Sorry if my responses are quite delayed.

Unmetered is interesting. I still do like unlimited data. I think the Green Bold letters should be on that instead of Reliable though.

Unlimited Data is the number one selling point I have when compared to the competition, along with speed.

The signs will be at T intersections, stop signs, roadside. All on telephone poles and it is cool with where I live btw.

People are going to have to stop and turn around to get the number and website off of the signs that aren't at intersections where you will have to stop, there is no way someone will be able to memorize any sign while they are driving at 60 mph.

Some other options that it could that I may like are:
----But this gets rid of "Fast, Reliable" and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Also, by including unlimited Data, people may think that it's a smartphone plan or something, but these signs are going to be in an area where there is no Internet, so I would hope people would call

--- Interesting. Like it, but not sure yet.
--- Like this also, but to some of the older folk it may be confusing. I like the hashtag idea, what do you guys think?

--- I think Unlimited "Internet" is way too vague.

---- Flat Fee Pricing or Flat Fee Data? I dont know I just made this last one up just now.

I think what I'm going to do is go to a Mall or somewhere there is alot of people and have a few signs printed out on paper and ask them what they think it means. If they think it's describing Home Internet or not, etc.

Any other responses would be welcomed. I'll respond as soon as I can. Been working very full days lately.

Talk to you guys soon!

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

1 edit

DaSneaky1D

MVM

Do you provide data service (pure layer 2)? If not, then sticking with "Internet" is more telling of your product.

Regardless, I hope that the final posters/fliers have the success you're looking for!

XLBroadband
Premium Member
Frankfort, IL

XLBroadband

Premium Member

What about:

Fast, Reliable,
Unlimited Data Use

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

1 recommendation

TomS_ to XLBroadband

MVM

to XLBroadband
Well, theres always "Unlimited* Internet"

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to John Galt6

to John Galt6
said by John Galt6:

I hope not, don't litter. I never buy products from companies that litter and post signs illegally.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by toby:

said by John Galt6:

I hope not, don't litter. I never buy products from companies that litter and post signs illegally.

I hope you aren't choosing to not buy from companies simply because they have roadside signs... That doesn't necessarily mean that the signs aren't legal. I use those push in the ground yard signs every year, and most villages have simple ordinances that just require permission in order to place the signs.

XLBroadband
Premium Member
Frankfort, IL

XLBroadband to TomS_

Premium Member

to TomS_
LOL @ "Unlimited*"
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to jcremin

Premium Member

to jcremin
Agreed. As long as you place them in the right-of-way, the only permission you need to get is from the city/town/county. That won't stop clueless people from taking the sign out even though it's not technically on their property. You could then go get permission from them (remind them it's in the right-of-way even) or just move the sign.

Also regarding putting it on poles, most everyone does it and you may even get the OK, but just be aware, if a tech needs to climb the pole and your sign is in the way, it's likely getting knocked down.
JoelC707

JoelC707 to XLBroadband

Premium Member

to XLBroadband
said by XLBroadband :

Unlimited Data is the number one selling point I have when compared to the competition, along with speed.

If that's the case then I'd stick with what sells personally.

I don't like the #NoLimits one because to me, No Limits means no speed limits either. Unless you have just one tier that has no set speed, that's going to be misleading.

Unlimited Internet is somewhat vague. I presume for you, unlimited means no data transfer caps. But to others unlimited could mean many other things and that may not be what you intended.

Not sure I like dumping "Fast, Reliable" either. Also not sure I like "Flat Fee Pricing". You may be able to use those on larger signs, but you don't want to get into a situation where "the fine print taketh away what the big print giveth" lol.

I'd suggest "Unlimited Data" or "Unmetered Data". I personally prefer Unmetered as it better represents the "no bandwidth caps" like I suspect you are offering (and it's the wording the larger providers tend to use).

XLBroadband
Premium Member
Frankfort, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

XLBroadband

Premium Member

Click for full size
Thanks for the detailed reply! I really appreciate it very much. Here's an updated design for our new roadside signs. I took into consideration alot of input on what you guys all said to me and this is what I have so far. Any more input? I changed the font and some of the layout to emphasize a little more.

I feel that no matter what, people are going to have to stop and turn around(if they are driving past it) and write down the info. I will be ordering 500 of them so the odds that they will see another one up ahead will be likely. Also they will be at t intersections and 4 way stops too.

Whattaya think? How's the font?

Also, I just noticed, maybe I should keep the "&" universal.

"Fast & Reliable"

"Home & Business"
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to XLBroadband

to XLBroadband
Maaaaaan I'd just be sure your AUP is rock solid and gives you some kind of "out" for horribly abusive users.

The unlimited tag is a serious kick to the competition for sure... But you're going to attract two major problems, the clients who were kicked/nailed for massive over-usage, and the clients who go completely crazy on the connection.

Also be sure that your network is up to the challenge.
I want to back up my files online... I have 10TB of storage. So there's one client with a fully saturated connection 24/7/365. Get a few of them lined up and they can potentially destroy an AP.

Also for business customers, that's a big seller, but also a big point to slam you back with if things get congested etc.

IPTV is only going to get heavier at an exponential rate... Are you ready to hold that unlimited sign 2 years down the road when the average home user is 500gig per month?

Sorry to sound negative. I just know the "unlimited" word is the "he who shall not be named" equivalent. If you're ready to pull that trigger, better be ready for a wild ride. Not something I would do as a start up.

Maybe some basic checkbox/table comparison against your direct competitors. Beat them on every point. Make it big and obvious that you come out on top everywhere... But oh man tossing unlimited out is like throwing a steak to a pack of starving wolves.

XLBroadband
Premium Member
Frankfort, IL

XLBroadband

Premium Member

Hmmm.. Very good point. We have been going for 8 years now and finally getting ready to do some serious marketing. I hear what you are saying and you may be right with not advertising unlimited data now. Either that, or I can get the customers now and when it becomes a problem I can put up new signs. Hmmm....
XLBroadband

XLBroadband to voxframe

Premium Member

to voxframe
said by voxframe:

Maaaaaan I'd just be sure your AUP is rock solid and gives you some kind of "out" for horribly abusive users.

The unlimited tag is a serious kick to the competition for sure... But you're going to attract two major problems, the clients who were kicked/nailed for massive over-usage, and the clients who go completely crazy on the connection.

Also be sure that your network is up to the challenge.
I want to back up my files online... I have 10TB of storage. So there's one client with a fully saturated connection 24/7/365. Get a few of them lined up and they can potentially destroy an AP.

Also for business customers, that's a big seller, but also a big point to slam you back with if things get congested etc.

IPTV is only going to get heavier at an exponential rate... Are you ready to hold that unlimited sign 2 years down the road when the average home user is 500gig per month?

Sorry to sound negative. I just know the "unlimited" word is the "he who shall not be named" equivalent. If you're ready to pull that trigger, better be ready for a wild ride. Not something I would do as a start up.

Maybe some basic checkbox/table comparison against your direct competitors. Beat them on every point. Make it big and obvious that you come out on top everywhere... But oh man tossing unlimited out is like throwing a steak to a pack of starving wolves.

If it came down to that point where everyone is racking up the Terabytes, I would probably just shift our higher packages to unlimited data. That way if they want unlimited data, they would be paying more, but we would still offer it. Interesting thoughts you brought up though.