linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

Wisp

This was originally designed to serve rural customers who could only attain dial-up speed. It gave them a faster access that was somewhat closer to what they could achieve in town. How well it worked was dependent upon a number of things: no trees or tall buildings in the line of sight. Also distance to the antennas tuned to the main antenna atop the water storage tower. The local dog doc had access in his office but only dialup at home until the CITY offered Wisp.

In 2005 WISP cost $100/mo plus $250 for installation of antenna and modem. It was a Laurel & Hardy comedy for nine months. They sent me an email virus; I sent it back. They were down 8 days. I was down one day and running over AT&T the next morning.

The problem I had with Wisp was leafy trees in the summer, plus they capped or throttled - which they denied. It was pure bs. I found the specs for my equipment on the web. The instructions for How to throttle was very clear.

As was looking a wireless specs the other day. I doubt DISH partners are delivering much higher speed than 2.5G to most of America. Va is another kritter that DISH partnered with. I expect the nTelos to deliver faster speeds to that area first. Whether or not it ever goes national is another question.

Sigh, I'm still looking for a chart that converts G speed to Mbps speed.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Click for full size
GlobalVision WISP in Greenville, SC
The WISP that I found closest to Greenwood, SC is GlobalVision, about 50 miles north in Greenville:
»www.globalvision.net/wireless/

They say they charge $49.99/mo for 5 Mbps up and down standalone service, with a 2-year contract and a $99.95 standard installation fee.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I think this is in the area called the Uplands. There was 2 miles of trees and old 3 story victorian homes between me and the tower, so I didn't get very a good signal. It's not a bad price if you are close enough to a tower. But you might not get the 5/5. I hope you do.