spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FastForward

@comcast.net

Stop fast forwarding on DVRd shows; hello TIVO

If Comcast stops fast forwarding of DVRd repeat episodes, then it is goodbye to Comcast's DVR service and their STBs. And hello to Tivo DVRs with their lower cablecard fees.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
and they will jack up the outlet fee.

FastForward

@comcast.net
said by Joe12345678:

and they will jack up the outlet fee.

Maybe. But I will still be able to fast forward thru shows.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to FastForward
Once they go to a "cloud DVR" model, you won't really have a choice. The point there will be to monetize you again by controlling the stream and what you see. At that point they could inject ads into the stream like others do and personalize them by a kinect-like device to see who is in the room. Case closed, money made for those who will subject themselves to that level of privacy.

The only remaining barrier will be cablecard, and they are actively trying to kill it.

Note to operators: Nobody in my house will ever watch commercials again, and especially pay for it, so you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

TheRogueX

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO
I can build my own DVR...

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to elefante72
"cloud DVR"? Sounds like ala-carte, without being ala-carte.

Just record the shows you want to watch, but pay the regular price for the entire CATV subscription.. even if it's not recorded on your device.

What is the point of cloud DVR again?

intok

join:2012-03-15

1 recommendation

Bittorrent is all the ala carte anyone would ever need.

I'm not opposed to paying, but I'm not paying and watching ads on top of it, if thats the case I refuse to pay.