Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Email server failing to authenicate again

I have been experiencing problems again with the Frontier email servers to authenticate since Saturday afternoon. Is anyone else seeing this problem again?

Philbertp2
@frontiernet.net

Philbertp2

Anon

Plenty of POP3 failure to authenticate errors on Monday 12/2. Very strange. Seeing more an more of these every month.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Agree. I tried to report it via the online tech support. I gave him all the information and then waited for well over 10 minutes no further response from them.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to Hank

to Hank
Thought it was just me i hope they fix it soon.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

2 edits

Hank

Premium Member

I reported the problem again to Frontier online. The person refused to issue a trouble ticket because they said I needed to wait for 2 hours let the account on the server to reset because it locks out after three failures. Then it finally started working while talking to this person. Received over 20 emails. It made no difference that I mentioned my other accounts were also having the problem but working intermittently and that others had reported having same issues here on dslreports. Ironiclly it was the same person I was in contact with this morning who left me hanging and never came back to me.

Update: 6:29 PM worked for a couple hours then started up on all of my Frontier email accounts again.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Same here. Just started acting up again

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

1 edit

Hank

Premium Member

Just when I thought customer service was improving. I am very disappointed at the response and refusal to take a trouble ticket.

Here is the error message I receive:

Task 'XXXX@frontier.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings. The server responded: -ERR internal server error'
Hank

Hank

Premium Member

Its refreshing to not be disappointed, the daily ritual has started again.
FTR Tech
join:2013-02-12

FTR Tech

Hello Frontier Customers,

I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues with your frontier email with authenticating in your email clients. As a suggestion, you may want to reconfigure your email client to use SSL ports. (Incoming pop3.frontier.com on 995, outgoing smtp.frontier.com on port 465) Also, change the frequency of how often your client checks the mail server (send/receive too often). If you have any further questions please contact us directly at 1-800-239-4430 for further assistance. We are open 24/7 for your convenience.

Thank you for being a Frontier Customer.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

1 edit

Hank

Premium Member

This showed up last month for a period of time and then again this month. So am I to interpret that you are also saying it is the customer fault and there is not the possibility that there is a congestion problem with your email server? Not being smart just asking a question.

I setup a couple of my Frontier accounts to use the suggested ports and SSL. I'll see how that goes then if works out ok and I see no further errors I will change over the rest of the accounts. Only problem is that my network equipment is not have the ability to send reports utilizing SSL.
mountain_jim
join:2003-06-10
Hot Springs, NC

2 edits

mountain_jim to Hank

to Hank
I have not been able to log in all day today. hangs on receiving for a long time, then eventually error that says:
your email server rejected your login...... server responded -ERR [AUTH] (#MBR xxxx) Please verify your account by going to »login.yahoo.com

What has changed, and why should I have to verify anything?

later: I was able to login to yahoo link, get my frontier page, log into frontier webmail there with the same username and password that is failing POP, and see emails that are not getting to me today.

I am not changing ports yet as suggested above until I hear feedback that that works.

now testing POP appears to work without port change after 'verifying my account' by responding to the capcha character string on login.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

2 edits

Hank

Premium Member

On the accounts that I did not move to SSL I had same problem again today. No problem on the SSL ports. I changed those accounts over to SSL and no further issue. There is obviously a problem with the mail server.
Hank

2 edits

Hank

Premium Member

OK, so much for the SSL working. The problem just started up again. Its intermmietent again, but lets see how long it goes on and if the frequency increases as the day progresses. Must be another incidence of customer error.

Added information: After testing I have determined that it makes no difference how long you wait between accessing email. As an example, the problem occurred this morning immediately after logging on after a 7 hour down time and again this afternoon after a 2 hour down time.
Hank

Hank

Premium Member

Called in today with additional email issues. The CSR immediately advised that they have been having an email issue for the last few days, added further that it was the same issue that they experienced back in August. Finally the problem is recognized.

Nikkiekoala
@frontiernet.net

Nikkiekoala

Anon

I have two frontier email accounts. With one account I receive email just fine on the other nothing for two days!! I contacted frontier via their internet chat and just get their stock answer that yahoo is working to fix the server issues and should have service within a few hours. This is crazy and frustrating.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Yes, it is. But, for them to finally admit thee is a problem is a step in the right direction. But I don't think it is high on either Frontier's or Yahoo's list of concerns.
tntpointer
join:2011-01-11

tntpointer

Well, going on day 4 with no email and Yahoo not updating status today as they said they would. So contacted Frontier CS to see if they knew. She just said they're aware of the issue and it's being worked on. I asked if there would be compensation and she said I can see you don't have Frontier Secure and can offer 3 free months. Oh, wow, isn't that great. Sorry, I use Mac and have never had a problem. She further stated it was the best she could do, because, after all, we're not charged for email. It's a free feature. I just love their CS.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Well, at least she was right about this:
said by tntpointer:

because, after all, we're not charged for email. It's a free feature.

Ben J
My spoon is too big
Premium Member
join:2011-09-16
Elk Grove, CA

1 recommendation

Ben J

Premium Member

Status from Y! updated at Noon Pacific today...

»help.yahoo.com/kb/index? ··· SLN22473

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
"A free service." Could be a good reason to use a few services from Frontier as possible. Just when one begins to believe that Frontier is getting their act together they slip back into the blame it on the customer mode about having an issue. It is discouraging, particularly when you have to choice about who you use as an ISP.

Ben J. I for one do very much appreciate the update and your efforts.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Hank:

"A free service." Could be a good reason to use a few services from Frontier as possible.

Now you're catching on. I haven't used an ISP's email service in nearly a decade.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

You're absolutely correct. The big concern is that when I reported the issue the problem was placed back onto me as being my fault. There were a variety of excuses from the CSR's and by a Frontier rep here. It was a return to the past where the customer is the problem and they are not going to even raise the subject, even to their contract provider. Very discouraging, it is going to take a big effort on Frontiers part to regain any respect as a professional provider in my eyes and probably a few others. Truly discouraging!
Hank

Hank

Premium Member

Email has been stable for the past few days and I can access a couple accounts that were previously not responding, so it appears that Frontier/Yahoo has resolved the problem. Hopefully it does not return.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

it was acting up at work yesterday on my phone.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

You're correct Mike, the problem has began to return this evening.
Hank

Hank

Premium Member

Its back!! This is becoming a real PITA. Hopefully someone will tell Yahoo to find out what server is causing the problem and correct the issue once and for all.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

it's frontier. They're too interested in buying unwanted phone systems than fixing the problems they have.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

You are correct mikedz4! Its good for a couple days then the problem starts all over again. As you said "it's Frontier."

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Doing it off and on again today.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Looks like the Frontier/Yahoo fix didn't get applied to all servers. I wonder if they are even looking into it.