spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DSMdude

join:2012-06-30
Kitchener, ON

[General] What part of dial plan controls IVR "experience"?

I have my service through Tektalk with Teksavvy and although it has been working beautifully after a couple months of setup hiccups, one issue remains and that is when we call IVRs. We dont have to access many but the ones we do always give the same "error" message after selecting an option which is "this is not a valid selection". I posted to Teksavvy support and they advise to change back to the original dial plan however the original has an 8 second pause before connecting which is more than annoying. Perhaps the dial plan has nothing to do with IVR however its the only setting I changed on the ATA.

Any advice is welcome

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
Hi DMSdude,
The dialplan (I'm assuming you meant the digitmap of your ATA) shouldn't have anything to do with your problem. Once the ATA has recognized the completion of a phone number, it sends a SIP INVITE to TekTalk's server. When the other party answers, any key you press is transmitted using RFC2833/SIP INFO or In-Band audio. I use RFC2833 with TekTalk and have had no problems.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
·Callcentric
·Anveo
reply to DSMdude
said by DSMdude:

I posted to Teksavvy support and they advise to change back to the original dial plan.

Strike one.

said by DSMdude:

however the original has an 8 second pause before connecting which is more than annoying.

Strike two. TekSavvy clearly has no idea what they are doing.

Jean's explanation of DTMF mode is correct. If you let us know what ATA you are using, we can tell you the specific setting to look for.

DSMdude

join:2012-06-30
Kitchener, ON
ATA is Cisco SPA122

Thanks guys!

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
·Callcentric
·Anveo
On the Line 1 or Line 2 page, look for DTMF Tx Method. Since Jean has success with RFC2833, try AVT first (same as RFC2833); if that doesn't work then try InBand. Some versions of the SPA's firmware don't save this setting properly so reload the page after you change it to make sure it sticks.

Good luck!

tritch

join:2007-04-30
Porter, TX
reply to DSMdude

Re: [General] What part of dial plan controls IVR "experience"?

I find that the DTMF option "Inband+INFO" works 100% of the time for IVR's. It's the only option that sends both in-band and out-of-band DTMF simultaneously, so both bases are covered.

I experienced about a 90% success rate with all these other options:
Inband, AVT, INFO, Auto, AVT+INFO

Also make sure your "DTMF Tx Strict Hold Off Time" is not set to an excessively high number. I have mine set to "60". A higher number will tend to eliminate DTMF talk off issues, but at the cost of requiring you to hold down the number key on the phone longer before the out-of-band DTMF will be sent. If you are not having any DTMF talk off issues (aka your voice generatiing DTMF tones), then set this value to even a lower value like "40" or change the "DTMF Tx Mode" to Normal.

As Mango stated....all of these settings are located in the Line 1 & Line 2 tabs.

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
Is there any risk of double digits when Inband+INFO is used? Or are the switches smart enough to pick one and stick with it?

tritch

join:2007-04-30
Porter, TX
I suppose there's a risk, but all the IVR's that I've used seem to respond normally. No problems whatsoever.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
reply to DSMdude
said by DSMdude:

I posted to Teksavvy support and they advise to change back to the original dial plan however the original has an 8 second pause before connecting which is more than annoying.

To me, this sounded like the configuration of both the DTMF and dialplan are working properly to accept and process your key pressed it correctly, except the dialplan has an 8 seconds delay to elapse awaiting for a respond. If this is the case, can you try to respond the IVR with the correct key + the # key and see if the system will respond ASAP? If so, then I would say the IVR is configured to expect not a single but rather a multiple digit input and the # key will tell the IVR to immediately send the recognized key pressed instead of awaiting for 8 seconds to elapse. Just my 2¢.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
You're kidding, right?

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
said by Mango:

You're kidding, right?

Nope. When I read the OP, that was the 1st thing that popped up and thought that could be the problem. Just my 2¢.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.