spc
Search similar:

uniqs

suexec
join:2003-09-27
Vancouver, BC

suexec

[BC] Shaw screwing me over

So I switched from Shaw to another cable internet provider which is reusing Shaw's cable infrastructure. Naturally, I close my account with Shaw so I don't pay two providers for one service. While there was an overlap when both providers were being paid, my service worked and I was getting my IP from the new provider. There was a one month overlap due to Shaw needing a 30 day notice. So Shaw came last Tuesday to disconnect my service. Do they not even check if a customer is still a cable internet subscriber with another provider who is leasing some of Shaw's cable infrastructure? I was told there would be a Shaw tech (by my new provider) coming by Sunday morning to reconnect me. Noone came. I followed up with my new provider and they reopen a ticket with Shaw. No new date is set for a Shaw tech to drop by. I went as far as calling Shaw directly, but they said as my account is closed, they can't do anything for me. I could however reopen my account directly with Shaw and they can send a tech within a day. But in my scenario, I have to deal directly with my new provider and have them chase down Shaw. Shaw is effectively being a dick and making life difficult for 3rd party resellers and their clients.
AJ102
join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC

AJ102

Unfortunately that's one of the small drawbacks of going with an alternative internet service that uses the cable or telco infrastructure. Your cable company or telco has no motivation to make that process easy - quite the contrary. They don't have to do anything wrong to make it difficult - just stick strictly to the letter of the minimum that they are required to do, and give the lowest priority to service requests for alternative suppliers. I don't think there could be any regulatory cure for such competitive foot-dragging. But it's not usually a problem once things are up and running normally, so consider it just a speed bump on the way to lower prices.

poor you
@videotron.ca

poor you to suexec

Anon

to suexec
Do you mind if I try and clarify some things?

1. You kept an overlap of service to prevent just this scenario. Meanwhile you were paying both providers.

2. Your new service was up and running. Perfect!

3. Shaw drops by and disconnects you and you have been w/o service since Tuesday, November 26.

4. No one bothers to check if you're a TPIA provider.

5. Upon the tech visit to disconnect you (a month later) that still wasn't enough time for someone to bother tagging your line that it was TPIA, but they sure have the time and a process in place to disconnect you

6. Your TPIA provider gave you a time window and day as to when Shaw is scheduled to show up at your place, tag your connection, and get you up and running.

7. But, Sunday came and went. No one bothering showing up.

*8. You open a ticket for another day, but you can't get a rescheduled date! Why is that? I'm curious.

9. You call Shaw because this is a "wtf" situation. Shaw ignores you. Tells you to go complain to someone else, it's not their problem.

10. But Shaw, in their ever-caring kindness, offer you an install the next day (maybe even same day). All you have to do is sign back up with Shaw. How kind and generous of them to treat you like a royal customer with red carpet treatment. That is great treatment.

Did I summarize this correctly?

Any insight that you can provide for #8?

suexec
Vancouver, BC

suexec

TPIA...that's a new term for me, but your summary is pretty accurate.

Regarding #8, I call the TPIA provider and they opened a ticket with Shaw. Shaw apparently got back to them today as the TPIA provider's support called me this morning to let me know they still don't have a date, but that at Shaw, there is an internal escalation and will get back to my TPIA provider's support.
suexec

suexec

Except given this unprofessional and childish treatment by Shaw, I will likely never go back to Shaw

poor you
@videotron.ca

poor you to suexec

Anon

to suexec
said by suexec:

TPIA...that's a new term for me, but your summary is pretty accurate.

TPIA provider = Thrid Party Internet Access provider.
Another way of saying, "another cable internet provider which is reusing Shaw's cable infrastructure". Or, the Shaw internet Wholesaler.
said by suexec:

Regarding #8, I call the TPIA provider and they opened a ticket with Shaw. Shaw apparently got back to them today as the TPIA provider's support called me this morning to let me know they still don't have a date, but that at Shaw, there is an internal escalation and will get back to my TPIA provider's support.

So now we can add another stop to the above,between step 8 and 9. I'll start from scratch. so we can all follow the bouncing ball.

1. You kept an overlap of service to prevent just this scenario. Meanwhile you were paying both providers.

2. Your new service was up and running. Perfect!

3. Shaw drops by and disconnects you and you have been w/o service since Tuesday, November 26.

4. No one bothers to check if you're a TPIA provider.

5. Upon the tech visit to disconnect you (a month later) that still wasn't enough time for someone to bother tagging your line that it was TPIA, but they sure have the time and a process in place to disconnect you

6. Your TPIA provider gave you a time window and day as to when Shaw is scheduled to show up at your place, tag your connection, and get you up and running.

7. But, Sunday came and went. No one bothering showing up.

8. You open a ticket for another day, but you can't get a rescheduled date! Why is that? I'm curious. (Answered above already)

9. You call Shaw because this is a "wtf" situation. Shaw ignores you. Tells you to go complain to someone else, it's not their problem.

10. But Shaw, in their ever-caring kindness, offer you an install the next day (maybe even same day). All you have to do is sign back up with Shaw. How kind and generous of them to treat you like a royal customer with red carpet treatment. That is great treatment.
---
New and Improved with 20% more BS:

8b. Before Shaw graciously went out of their way to treat you like special royalty if, and only if, you went back to them, and offered to hook you up the next day (or even the same day) which you refused, they called your TPIA provider to tell them they have no clue when they can reconnect you. It's up in the air. No one really knows. It's just one of those things where no one can service you at the moment. It's in escalations, because your treatment is very important to them. So now you have to wait around w/o any service and be frustrated at your TPIA provider hoping that someone will call you back one day. This may even leave you wondering why a TPIA provider can't give you special service like what Shaw just graciously offered you. Why can't this Third Party Internet Provider provide a quality service like Shaw just offered you today? Why? WHY!

Did I summarize this correctly?
rotohoto
join:2012-03-31
canada

rotohoto to suexec

to suexec
This happened to me, and both people I know who have recently switched from Shaw to Teksavvy cable.
Granted, that's a small sample size, but this certainly doesn't seem to be rare.

Shaw actually showed up when they were supposed to for me though, so it ended up being... 4-5 days off I think, or something around there.
When the guy came, I specifically asked him if there was an existing TPIA tag on the wire in the meter room, and he said there was. He had no idea why the auditor would have disconnected it anyway, and could only apologize.

poor you
@videotron.ca

poor you

Anon

said by rotohoto:

He had no idea why the auditor would have disconnected it anyway, and could only apologize.

ah. How about that.

So here we have someone checking/auditing for compliance and the remove TPIA connections.

Fascinating.

But in Shaws recent filings it's all in your head. All fantasy.

suexec
Vancouver, BC

suexec to rotohoto

to rotohoto
Hmm, how can I tell if there is a TPIA tag on my wire?
Expand your moderator at work
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to suexec

to suexec

Re: [BC] Shaw screwing me over

Things don't generally seem to go smooth when you switch isp's on the same technology. IE cable to cable or dsl to dsl. One provider has to terminate service before the other can install it. Any deviation from that seems to cause heaches. Like in your case shaw disconnected the cable because you stopped service with them (and likely didn't realize you were using a reseller).

not much you can do.. and not much shaw is going to do. they only sell access to the lines because they are forced too... not exactly enthusiastic to make it easier for you to use the competition.

poor you
@videotron.ca

poor you to suexec

Anon

to suexec
said by suexec:

Hmm, how can I tell if there is a TPIA tag on my wire?

Contact your TPIA provider, or better yet, use twitter to publicly ask them. They should be able to answer this.

Paste what they tell you.

But chances are, you have no tag (even though you had a truck roll). Shaw stated that unless there is a truck roll (ie. tech visit), they don't tag. Confusing, eh?

But, as the guy above stated, his line was already tagged. Shaws most excellent trained auditor didn't like the TPIA tag and labeled him a digital data thief and disconnected him anyhow.

FYI: The auditors are trained to remove lines they think are stealing Shaw signals. So this auditor who saw the TPIA tag didn't like his face and hated him, so disconnected him. This is what Shaw trained him to do, obviously.

But this is not discrimination. To say that is pure fantasy and all in your head. It's all just an error. You see they physically tag a line then hire auditors who can't read. Shaw hires auditors who can't read because to do otherwise would be discrimination.

Illiterate Shaw auditors is the Shaw industry standard and high quality, per Shaw.

So all is good.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

You are assuming the Shaw auditor saw his face?
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to suexec

to suexec
Was there a TPIA tag? It sounds like the guy got switched to TPIA while still maintaining a shaw account. This means the TPIA service never had to connect the cable line on the side of the house (ie it was already connected due to shaw service?)

suexec
Vancouver, BC

suexec

That's why I wonder if there was ever a TPIA tag as I was only using Shaw's service when I switched over to TPIA. Shaw was supposed to make a visit on Oct 21st, and as I already had Shaw service, maybe they didn't, but if they were to have, they would have only put a TPIA tag? Anyhow, I wasted a day waiting for Shaw then.
suexec

suexec

My TPIA tells me that a Shaw tech will be coming tomorrow Dec 6th. I don't have my hopes up since Shaw has failed to make an appearance twice, but they have been perfect for a disconnect which is self-work. 0/2 so far for TPIA work.
suexec

suexec

»shaw.ca/uploadedFiles/Te ··· 1%29.pdf

1.3 These terms do not limit Shaw's liability in case of deliberate fault or gross negligence, anti-competitive conduct, or of breach of contract where the breach results from the gross negligence of Shaw.

I guess this is Shaw's escape clause of liability.
eject
join:2013-01-23

eject to suexec

to suexec
sorry to hear about all this, when i make my eventual switch to third party i fear the same treatment. shaw has gone directly to the bottom of the shitter floating about with rogers and telus and whatever other terrible isps exist in canada. glad i read your post to know what to expect, not glad to have the run around, fortunately i'm still young enough to have some fight left. i know a few older people that would love a better isp but not the headaches and roadblocks required to attain it.

Benefits
@shawcable.net

Benefits to suexec

Anon

to suexec
What is the benefit of switching to TekSavvy for Shaw users? Shaw is amazing with service calls here. Residential is quick business support I have been given personal cell #'s...
AJ102
join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC

AJ102

said by Benefits :

What is the benefit of switching to TekSavvy for Shaw users?

Because it's cheaper and better maybe?

Shaw HS10: $55/month, 125 Gbyte/month cap
TSI HS10: $35/month, 300 Gbyte/month cap

Of course it's never that simple. TSI charges an installation fee, and a fee for any changes or moves, because Shaw charges them. You also have to buy your own modem with TSI. In a way those things are good, because it makes the pricing more transparent not to have hidden costs amortized in the monthly service fee.
rotohoto
join:2012-03-31
canada

rotohoto to Benefits

to Benefits
said by Benefits :

What is the benefit of switching to TekSavvy for Shaw users? Shaw is amazing with service calls here. Residential is quick business support I have been given personal cell #'s...

Shaw selectively enforces bandwidth limits in some areas, and provides no reasonable options for people who want to transfer a bit more.
For me, switching to Teksavvy was really the only logical option.

Benefits
@shawcable.net

Benefits

Anon

I am on BB250 (Grandfathered) do regularly 1.5TB to 2.5TB and never been contacted once. Just doesn't seem worth the hassle.

I have a 50mbps business line with the $10 wifi modem also. The WiFi side says it is allowed 125gb, yet we are pushing 500+. I had to call in to get the acct. # for the wifi account. The rep. agreed we are using a lot of data but said they don't cap bus. accounts.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

My business account was suspended for over-usage once, for about 30 minutes, by the time I called in, they had un-suspended it

I used my bridge-trick to bridge my second modem (when it still worked), very nice setup with two bridged modems
Expand your moderator at work

MJ404
@telus.net

MJ404 to kevinds

Anon

to kevinds

Re: [BC] Shaw screwing me over

Shaw is getting really bad in recent years. I've been a die hard shaw customer for 20 years. Recently my bill have been increasing while my service is decreasing particularly in the case of my internet speed. I decided to check into it with shaw and got absolutely stonewalled. I've had internet service with shaw since 1997 when it was sold as Unlimited Hi Speed. No so today 7.5Mbps is not cutting it. during internet rush hour im down to 1-3 Mbps. I was paying 60.00 per month for internet $65.00 for phone and $87 for TV. with a $20 dollar triple play discount. My augment to shaw was for $60 a month I should have their Hi Speed 25 package as advertised on their we site. Their response was that the codes for my bundle no longer exist in their system so they wont be able to rebundle my package with the current codes. If I was willing to pay $5 dollars more a month they would upgrade me to Hi Speed 10. I spoke with 4 people at shaw and none of them would acknowledge that I was getting ripped off. In fact they insisted I was getting a great deal. In the end they are punishing me for being a long time customer.
I would urge anyone who has been with shaw for a long time to scrutinize your bill carefully and determine whether or not you are getting the service levels you are actually paying for.

I swithched to a new provider. Internet faster both up and down at a cheaper rate. Better phone plan at a cheaper rate and better TV with more channels at a cheaper rate.

Good riddance Shaw!
starbudder
join:2013-10-28
Garibaldi Highlands, BC

starbudder

I also left Shaw for Teksavvy due to huge price advantage. For me it was a no brainer as I also owned my modem which I was able to use on Teksavvy, which purchases use on Shaw's cable internet in BC.
In my case I coordinated the start-up with Teksavvy to occur on the last day of my Shaw service.
Shaw's first response was to shut off my internet about 3-weeks prior to my last day of paid service, I had to call and after an hour or so was put in touch with their tech support which reconnected me until my official last day of paid service. During my conversations with a number of Shaw CSR's and tech people they all asked why I was leaving Shaw and who my new provider was, I told them Teksavvy.
However about a month after my service had switched to Teksavvy a Shaw tech showed up at my door to disconnect my cable! If I had not been home to stop him from disconnecting my cable I would of been in the same situation as suexec!
This just states either very poor internal Shaw communication or a clear attempt to punish for leaving their service..

Shaws250
@shawcable.net

Shaws250 to suexec

Anon

to suexec
I am on a node that is saturated and only average 100mbps on Shaw's 250mbps plan. (Though my upstream is always 14.9+) They have no problem crediting me every month for $30. Some nights I do hit 175+ mbps but it is still 100mbps most times when I am home.

They know there is a node issue and just do it (massive notes on account).

I'm not interested in anything below 100mbps, what is the point of ever switching?

I have many elderly people who use Shaw cable for internet. If they could save some $$$ that would be awesome and I'd be a hero. The initial costs however would make me look like a thief for suggesting it...

Anyway, below 50mbps it is a good deal 50+ mbps seems to be a joke? Am I wrong?

Ikarazu
@135.0.189.x

Ikarazu to suexec

Anon

to suexec
Same thing recently happened to me.

Took them a week to fix it... turned out shaw came and dc'd it, the new tech told me the old guy didnt put a TPIA tag on my line, thats why it was d/c'd, and that he put one on, so it shouldn't happen again.

I've switched from shaw to a third party about 3 times... all 3 of them times, shaw has dc'd me.

Solution? You can buy a Termination tool for $15 online... lets you get into your cable box. It's technically a grey area... But if I'm paying for service, and they turn it off without my permission, I don't mind going into "their" box, to turn it back on. And if they have a problem with it... Well, too bad.

It's obvious they do this on purpose. I also got the same run around about how if I switched back to them, They could send a truck out same day.