dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

no FF

dvr goes back to the cable company at light speed!

CableCard
@embarqhsd.net

CableCard

Anon

Get yourself something like this - »amzn.to/ZdL9nL and take back control. Renting DVRs is a total scam. With Windows Media Center as your base TV-PC, you can add as many 'DVR's as you want with xbox360s on your home network (live TV + DVR) all with just one cablecard.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

MCE sucks. Get a TiVo. They're awesome.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned)

Nah, rather DIY a Linux HTPC/Steambox. Game console and DVR in one.

A10-7850K, GA-F2A88X-UP4, DDR3 2.4Ghz, WinTV-HPR-2250, Bluetooth dongle and a PS4 controller is a decent starting point, add a beefier GPU if going for more gaming performance.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

You can't use Linux for a DVR. No full CableCard solution.
intok (banned)

intok (banned)

Who needs HBO? You have heard of Bittorrent right? Paying for cable is still doing it wrong.

The tuner card is to connect to a DIY hoverman antenna for the local channels which have local content that is hard to impossible to find online as either the local affiliate's site is terrible or nobody has bothered to post those local public access shows online, of which some are actually watchable compared to the network stuff.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Yes, I have. I also have actual HBO. With a CableCard. On a TiVo. I tried MCE, and that has full CableCard support, but otherwise sucks as a DVR.
intok (banned)

intok (banned)

As I said, thats still doing it wrong. Cut the cord already!
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

I like to watch programming that's only available on cable. Cord cutting doesn't work for most people, as most people like certain content, some of which is cable-only.
intok (banned)

intok (banned)

Again, bit torrent. It's the public access stuff doesn't usually show up.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Not a replacement for live sports or many shows that don't make it to bittorrent.
intok (banned)

intok (banned)

Mass market sports are largely boring and oversold, if I need to watch something like good fight theres plenty of bars in town I can stop at to watch it at and have a large selection of craft beers to choose from while doing so.

What shows don't make it to torrent? Crap "reality" shows and stuff off the DIY network?
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

A lot of shows don't. Also, a lot of live sports (i.e. Basketball) are on a lot, and on cable only.