All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
BellevueBob
join:2013-10-12
Bellevue, WA

BellevueBob

List of FIOS and U-Verse availability by market?

Does anyone know how to find a list of DMA markets or even ZIP codes showing where Verizon FIOS and AT&T U-Verse is potentially available?

As I understand it, the US is divided into two regions (22 states for AT&T, 28 states for Verizon) such that these two specific products cannot directly compete. I also know I can use either of the two providers web sites to look up availability for a specific street address, but I'm looking for less granular data for marketing analysis and map creation purposes.

A simple list of ZIP codes or DMA markets with a flag for FIOS, U-Verse, or both(?) would be great. A reference to any other source for info like this would also be appreciated.

Thanks much!
Bob
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

Happydude32

Premium Member

Not sure about your question, but you do realize that most, if not all states have more then one telco? Verizon and AT&T both have territories in Texas, California and other states. And then there's Century Link which is in many states but offer no advanced offerings outside of their Prism TV service. Also there's the one oddball situation in Texas where AT&T is the ILEC, Verizon is the CLEC and residents have the choice between U-Verse and Fios. I've seen maps online that broke down all the major telcos, Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Windstream, Frontier. That won't give you all the information you want as U-Verse is not available in all of AT&Ts service area, and the vast majority of Verizon territory does not have Fios but would be a start.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to BellevueBob

Premium Member

to BellevueBob
I'm curious why you want to know this? Aside from just general knowledge, it won't really help you much. If you're looking at moving and want to make sure you have U-Verse or FiOS available in your intended area that's another thing. Your best bet in that case would be to pick out some potential areas and post them here (or in the AT&T/Verizon forums) and let the users here tell you what is or isn't available in your potential areas.
BellevueBob
join:2013-10-12
Bellevue, WA

1 recommendation

BellevueBob to Happydude32

to Happydude32
Yes, I do realize that the territories are different. And I have seen several maps that claim to display coverage areas, but the ones I've looked at seem to be out of date. In my case, I'm looking for a way to evaluate the potential market size for AT&T versus Verizon and was hope I could find a reference that described the service areas for each, hopefully by DMA code, so I can match that to other demographic data I have available (primarily US Census data).

When you say that Verizon and AT&T both have territories in California (for example), I imagine the service areas must be distinct. That is the sort of info I'm looking for; what are the boundaries?

Also, does that situation you describe for Texas exist across the entire state? And is that the only place where both can directly compete?

If you are curious, I'm doing this as a marketing study comparing only the AT&T versus Verizon footprints. I want to understand the subscribership claims made by the companies (like 15 percent market share). My guess is that claims like that are in contrast to other "advanced services" providers like Comcast; I want to understand the growth potential, not just share.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Ohio has a least 2 ILECs in the state and very possibly 3...

Shadow01
Premium Member
join:2003-10-24
Wasteland

1 recommendation

Shadow01 to BellevueBob

Premium Member

to BellevueBob
In the old bell days, there were maps that showed each telco exchange boundries in each state. Sadly those maps haven't been updated to break down the areas to show services provided. There only purpose was to show the company that provided service to that area. Any further detail would require you to check each area individually by asking sales what is available. No maps exist for what you are asking.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

Happydude32 to BellevueBob

Premium Member

to BellevueBob
U-Verse and Fios are available in the same areas only in a few towns north of the Twin Cities Metroplex, not the entire state.

»www.dallasnews.com/busin ··· laps.ece

Not sure how you would even gather this type of info. Here in the Buffalo market, Fios is available in about 10 towns or so. And are you looking at Verizon specifically, or are you taking into account Frontier Fios? And speaking of Frontier, I really doubt Fios is available in areas like this, but just across the county line from me, Frontier has hundreds of miles worth of territory and in the center of it lies a small blob of Verizon that would be nothing more then a spec on a map. Some maps I've seen of telco territories completely overlook that and just have the whole area from a little east of where I live to almost Syracuse slated as Frontier.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

1 recommendation

guppy_fish to BellevueBob

Premium Member

to BellevueBob
There is no compiled free accessible data your seeking. Feel free to make one and post for others ... as the posting show, the is no requirements for such information, heck that cable company's don't have it either, all to keep us in the dark

The is no law preventing overbuilding, its just not economical and virtually no public company does it as its not profitable, hence why FIOS build out has stopped, 4 years ago ( except for meeting past contractual obligations )