join:2008-05-28
reply to GolfDude

Re: Optimum Smart Router Offer

Yes it does

john150

join:2000-12-29
Valley Cottage, NY
reply to limegrass69

Can you disable SSID broadcast? MAC filtering?

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

You can disable SSID broadcast. I don't recall seeing MAC filtering.
Do people still use those methods as "security?"

As stated above, it's expected that you won't be able to disable the optimumwifi SSID.

Elite

join:2002-10-03
Orange, CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

2 edits
reply to limegrass69

Just finished setting up my smart router! It does indeed broadcast an unsecured "optimumwifi" SSID in addition to my SSID. I see my SSID being broadcasted on 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz, as well as "optimumwifi" on 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz channels. Interestingly, "optimumwifi" uses the exact same 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz channels as my SSID.

Aside from the whole "optimumwifi" hotspot nonsense, it seems like a very good router.
Range and signal seem excellent. I'm sitting at a stable -50 dBm on my network's 2.4Ghz channel, which is literally the exact same signal strength I was getting with my old WRT54G in the same location. Here is a speedtest of me using 2.4Ghz wireless N on the smart router, connected with an Intel 6205 wireless card, on the Ultra 50 tier of service.

These results are very similar to my results over GigE plugged directly into the smart router.

The 5Ghz range and signal are not as good at their 2.4Ghz counterparts. When connected to 5Ghz, the signal fluctuates a bit between -70 dBm and -76 dBm. I only get about 30Mbit to 35Mbit down on speedtests (but ~25Mbit up).

Lastly, I cannot connect to "optimumwifi" for whatever reason. It fails at connecting.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to mbernste

said by mbernste:

said by majortom1029:

what good is putting optimumwifi on these routers?

By creating a mesh network of Optimum Wifi hotspots you will have greater and more reliable connectivity, especially in MDU environments.

know why they would put it but most home routers do not go pas the next house or two . Why would add it to all these routers? who would need this if they already have the service?

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to limegrass69

Do they give these routers to businesses as well? I'm guessing not, but I could see benefit for small businesses that just use a regular home router without any special features. They would be in consolidating the indoor wifi hotspots to a single modem (for a number of businesses, that may mean a straight line from outside rather than through a splitter), meaning that the business doesn't need to power it, and CV can support it a lot easier (having tools to remote diagnose the sagecomm router easier than the 2 separate units), IP consolidation (not having to issue an IP to the optimum wifi router).

Other than making a prettier coverage map, I don't know what benefit there would be in CV having an Optimum Wifi hotspot in my house. I mean, it advertises their service, but it seems more like it's encouraging people to share an optimum ID and not subscribe to service themselves, which is obviously not the plan. If my neighbor has Optimum Wifi, and I sign up for the service because I want the coverage, I'm not going to connect to their optimum wifi SSID when I sign up. And since the router has WPS support, it's easy to let other people join the network if desired.

cabletecht

join:2012-06-08
reply to Elite

said by Elite:

Lastly, I cannot connect to "optimumwifi" for whatever reason. It fails at connecting.

Once you connect wirelessly to your home network, your devices wireless MAC gets blacklisted on your routers Optimum Wifi SSID, so you can't use it while home to ensure you get the speeds you have signed up for at home. A factory reset wipes the blacklist incase for some reason you prefer to connect to the Optimum Wifi SSID

Frank Stoney

join:2013-12-18
Bergenfield, NJ
reply to limegrass69

Here's a random question. I've noticed that when accessing administrator settings on the Smart Router (Sagemcom but with Optimum branding), instead of it taking you to a native 168.192.1.1-ish prompt, you have to log in with an Optimum user/pass, so clearly there's new features.

My question is, is it possible to use this Optimum control panel to view web history of connected devices? Or does it only go as far as listing which devices are connected?

cabletecht

said by Frank Stoney:

Here's a random question. I've noticed that when accessing administrator settings on the Smart Router (Sagemcom but with Optimum branding), instead of it taking you to a native 168.192.1.1-ish prompt, you have to log in with an Optimum user/pass, so clearly there's new features.

My question is, is it possible to use this Optimum control panel to view web history of connected devices? Or does it only go as far as listing which devices are connected?

Not possible with its current setup.

Frank Stoney

join:2013-12-18
Bergenfield, NJ

Oh, I see. Even with an Admin-level username/pass? This is just for home use, of course. So web traffic/history can't be tracked, let alone viewed from the Optimum settings page?

Sorry if I sound paranoid. I feel uncomfortable about having one of my nosy relatives see what my E-Mail and Social Networking activity is.

cabletecht

said by Frank Stoney:

Oh, I see. Even with an Admin-level username/pass? This is just for home use, of course. So web traffic/history can't be tracked, let alone viewed from the Optimum settings page?

Sorry if I sound paranoid. I feel uncomfortable about having one of my nosy relatives see what my E-Mail and Social Networking activity is.

The way the portal is currently setup, it's not possible. I doubt it will ever be added.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Received my Smart Router today, but haven't set it up yet. Still debating.

One thing that may sway my decision: Do you know if you can set static routes?

I have one of my local servers acting as a bridge to another network. I need to be able to set a static route for 192.168.0.0/24 to the server's IP address so everything is routed correctly.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to majortom1029

For the exact reason I previously stated. In the MDU environment I live in I must see around 20 SSIDs.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

reply to Thinkdiff

There is support for port forwarding and port triggering.

Elite

join:2002-10-03
Orange, CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to limegrass69

Another awesome speed test done over WiFi. Glad to see I'm maxing out Ultra 50 with the smart router.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

reply to cabletecht

said by cabletecht:

Once you connect wirelessly to your home network, your devices wireless MAC gets blacklisted on your routers Optimum Wifi SSID, so you can't use it while home to ensure you get the speeds you have signed up for at home. A factory reset wipes the blacklist incase for some reason you prefer to connect to the Optimum Wifi SSID

I saw the optimumwifi SSID on my router this morning. Was not able to connect because the device was already associated with my WLAN. I'll have to mess around with it tonight and see if it's working.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to limegrass69

said by limegrass69:

Thanks, but I was asking specifically about static routing. I need an option like this:
»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/images/5/55/···es_2.png
--

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

said by Thinkdiff:

said by limegrass69:

Thanks, but I was asking specifically about static routing. I need an option like this:
»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/images/5/55/···es_2.png

I don't see anything like that on the user interface.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

reply to cabletecht

The 'optimumwifi' SSID is gone.

unix

@172.56.37.x

Got the "smart router" by fedex. The sagecom is so far not broadcasting Optimumwifi ssid. But I think my paranoia has been vidicated by some of the post so far. There are some posts on this site mentioning exploits in other sagecom units . But these explots need physical access to device and used for config mods etc if I understand correctly. Still think if this Optimumwifi piggybacking is new CV policy its a bit unfortunate. I will explore the "smart router" fully and try to post any relevant findings. Thanks everybody again!

unix

@172.56.36.x

Trying to setup unit its being a bit of a pita since all my optids have been wiped from my account. Yeah moving is easy with Optimum.lol. Ps sorry again for spelling and gramatical error been using my android phone to post.

JosephB

join:2012-10-19
Manhasset, NY
reply to limegrass69

So, did anyone ever find out what is the general purpose/objective for cv to have these smart routers activate an Optimum Hotspot SSID, when used in a residential area, for residential home user's ?

cabletecht

said by JosephB:

So, did anyone ever find out what is the general purpose/objective for cv to have these smart routers activate an Optimum Hotspot SSID, when used in a residential area, for residential home user's ?

so any friends/family that come over to your home and are Optimum subs can just jump online automatically and not need to ask for your network password.

JosephB

join:2012-10-19
Manhasset, NY

said by cabletecht:

so any friends/family that come over to your home and are Optimum subs can just jump online automatically and not need to ask for your network password.

But, if i am not mistaken, then they are getting an "Un-encrypted" connection, by making it so easy for them to connect.

If they are my friends and family, I would want to give them the security of an "Encrypted" connection by having them connect to my Guest network SSID, by giving them a Guest SSID network password.
I would want them to be assured of having a secured "encrypted" connection and *not* feel responsible if they used an "un-encrypted" connection and as a result got into an "issue". ... Anyway, that just my take. .... What do others think ?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

Completely agree.

A simple to use interface to activate your own guest network would've worked just as well, plus had the benefit of being encrypted.

It may be unlikely, but anything your friends/family do can be sniffed right out of the air by your next door neighbor when on "optimumwifi".
--

cabletecht

Valid points. Guest network is an option so you can go that route. Optimum Wifi is there also, I'm sure most users who aren't on this forum wouldn't worry about whether or not it's an encrypted network. Think its only there as a "convenience" factor more then anything. What does your family do when your not around? I'm sure they use the hotspots with no worry, I know mine does.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

Anecdotally, I think it comes down to a user's perceived level of risk.

From talking to my family in the past about security issues, they know well enough to not do sensitive activities when on public hotspots (banking, credit cards, etc). However, on WiFi at home they believe it's less risky because its their own connection. I agree many people won't know the difference between encrypted/unencrypted WiFi, but they do know the difference between "home" and "public". Users may have a false sense of security because the "optimumwifi" feels like it's coming from their own home, trusted network, even though it is a very different animal.

Again, you're probably correct - most people wouldn't think twice about it. But that doesn't make it right. CV should be looking out for users' safety while providing convenience where they can. I've seen other ISPs handle this issue by shipping routers with both a private and guest network by default, with the passcode for the guest network printed on the router's tag. Seems like a better solution to me.
--

root

join:2002-12-11
reply to Frank Stoney

said by Frank Stoney:

"Social Networking activity"......right...

cabletecht

I mean I can see both views, but only thing we can do is educate our friends and family since we can't turn off the OptimumWifi. Or we can use our own routers of course.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to limegrass69

JMO, it really is not for guests in your home. In many places people have the ability to connect to their neighbors network. Now imagine a network of optonline wifi in these areas where you connect automatically with your device on the street. They already have set up access in the main congestion areas.

Basically it allows them to easily add coverage to many of the side streets with out adding routers to the wire. It brings them closer to complete coverage of their service area. All that is great, but as I have said I think they should be explicitly informing customers that the routers will be used in this fashion.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.