It's wayyyyyy too early for this crap.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

that's not a bloody deep freeze...we haven't had any yet, but when they do come, we get temps in the -20 to -30 range.

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini

said by dirtyjeffer0:

that's not a bloody deep freeze...we haven't had any yet, but when they do come, we get temps in the -20 to -30 range.

Ummm his forecast for Tuesday night is -40 C, look again at his post.

Holy sh*t and that's in deep southern BC too, I thought it was a town bordering the Yukon or something

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
What happened to paradise LOL

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

1 edit

shaner to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Click for full size
Click for full size
We're getting smoked with a blizzard right now. Going to get pretty bitterly cold the next few days too.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
It's much milder in Ottawa.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
More like paradise lost...

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
Click for full size
The accuweather site doesn't seem to be as bad..........
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Click for full size
Here's a temperature forecast map for 2013/12/07 at 15Z (10 AM EST; 7 AM PST). Bleeping cold for this time of year from Lake Superior all the way to the west coast.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to shaner

to shaner
ouch shaner, i was almost certain that we beat you, but it is not so.
we got the blizzard as well, isn't that more of the east coast thing though?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Nonsense, put too pair of golf pants on and hit the links.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Pretty warm down here in the Banana Belt, might even creep into double digits on Wednesday too!

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

Yeah, I honestly can't remember the City of Calgary having a blizzard warning.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

Ummm his forecast for Tuesday night is -40 C, look again at his post.

Holy sh*t and that's in deep southern BC too, I thought it was a town bordering the Yukon or something

ah...i didn't look at the second week...yea, that is cold.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

said by jaberi:

Yeah, I honestly can't remember the City of Calgary having a blizzard warning.

Well this is what it takes for a blizzard warning anywhere in Canada according to EC - When winds of 40 km/hr or greater are expected to cause widespread reductions in visibility to 400 metres or less, due to blowing snow, or blowing snow in combination with falling snow, for at least 4 hours (6 hours north of the tree line).... So.. if you have those conditions you'll get one -- otherwise... well... there's plenty of other winter warnings to go around that you can qualify for at times.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Well, with gusts up to 100km/h, I guess we qualify today.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass
They changed the criteria for blizzard warnings two or three years ago. Prior to that there was also a rather intense windchill component that made the warning typically only apply to storms in the north. That component has since been removed and now it's just wind, snow and visibility.

Before this change I could never once recall a blizzard warning ever being issued in Southern Ontario. Since then I believe it has been issued twice - once up toward the Bruce Peninsula, and once on the western end of Lake Ontario. Even then they're still rather rare here as most times the conditions that qualify as blizzard criteria end up falling under the snow squall umbrella. If none had been issued in Calgary before the change in criteria could explain why they're seeing one now.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

I can recall 2 or 3 in Kingston since I've lived here -- many more winter storm warnings however (which can encompass blizzard and supersede it according to EC's website now). It makes more sense now in my opinion -- if it was something that could rarely/never happen in most of the country it's not really a useful storm warning. If the only place that ever saw it was the Labrador Coast and northern Newfoundland previously - the rest of the country wasn't getting a warning when it really could have used one. I think the new limits are pretty reasonable to warn people away from "playing outside" when to be safe they shouldn't be.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Blizzard of '77 FTW!

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass
Winter Storm Warnings are issued when two warning-criteria events occur simultaneously - e.g. snowfall and wind, or snow and freezing rain. A blizzard warning is far more specific, doesn't require actual snow to be falling and has a time component to it as well. A winter storm warning wouldn't supersede it unless there was an additional component beyond the scope of the blizzard warning itself.

In fact, that one that happened on the west-end of Lake Ontario two years ago had a blizzard warning issued for the north-end of Niagara and Hamilton while the surrounding area (including the south-end of Niagara) was all under a Winter Storm Warning.
Gone

Gone to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

Blizzard of '77 FTW!

A storm where no new snow actually fell out of the sky, hah.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
The January 1978 blizzard was pretty good too, particularly for us in Southern Ontario. I was in kindergarten at the time and remember being at home and watching the snow and wind in amazement.