spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TherapyChick
join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

[Help] On the lock screen, want flashlight, camera

So I'm no Apple iOS fan, and I don't know if this is new with iOS 7, but a friend has an iPhone and while the phone is locked, they can swipe up and access the flashlight, camera, and calculator app without having to unlock.

Is this possible on a Galaxy S3 with Android 4.1.2?

It is very handy to have the quick swipe up to access those features without having to unlock. I have my phone encrypted and it takes a 6 digit PIN to unlock, which is kind of a pain if I just want to use the flashlight for a second. And I know you can use the pattern unlock, but that doesn't work with encrypted phones, and besides it'd be nice to keep the phone locked anyway.

Anyway, just wondering if it can be done on Android.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

dib22

You are looking for "lock screen widgets" and I think they got added to android at version 4.2 (Jelly Bean).

»howto.cnet.com/8301-1131 ··· ly-bean/

Edit: found this looks like the S3 has camera from lock screen built in:

»www.androidcentral.com/h ··· k-screen

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX

PamelaTS to TherapyChick

to TherapyChick
The problem is going to be that you have it locked with pin. That blocks on-screen widgets.
TherapyChick
join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

said by PamelaTS:

The problem is going to be that you have it locked with pin. That blocks on-screen widgets.

Yes, that's what I'm running into. Still trying to find a way around this.
Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone
join:2004-05-31

1 edit

Fickey

I have zero experience with Samsung or Android 4.2, but I just stumbled across this post suggesting camera from a secured lockscreen may be possible:
»forum.xda-developers.com ··· 45911508
So, maybe a little more research into what dib22 mentioned will pay off. Also, maybe it requires a stock camera app as opposed to whatever Samsung builds in.

Edit- I started to add that some custom ROMs may offer the functionality you desire. For example, some Cyanogenmod ROMs offer an option to long-press a button to toggle the flashlight, even with a secured lockscreen. Then, I remembered the Xposed framework & modules:
»forum.xda-developers.com ··· =1574401
Here's an Xposed module that purports to do what you want, at least for the camera:
»forum.xda-developers.com ··· =2363189
Worst case, a combination of custom ROM & Xposed should be able to do it all if you're willing to put in the work.