spc
Search similar:

uniqs

carto
@mindspring.com

carto

Anon

[Speed Problem] Rip off / bad?

I'm not quite sure how to put it, atleast the title. Anyways I am 14 and I just want to clarify whats going on because my mom may be getting ripped of and she refuses to contact so I just want to see if I can get help. (She doesn't really care but I do)

Anyway, to the point. My mother buys 15 mb/s download speed from Earth Link which came with a package from Dish tv.

I do not know how much she pays but what I do know is we are definitely not getting it. Since the purchase of this package about 2-3 weeks after moving into our new house (late march or early april 2013) we got the internet. We have never gotten 15 mb/s download speed.

I know in the agreement it states that consumers are guaranteed 80% of the speed advertised. Unfortunately we don't even get that. My mom and I have seperate computers and we both get at max 2.0 mb/s if we are lucky. Most of the time it could range from 300kb/s to 2.0mb. In my eyes a 15mb package should not have a download speed of 2.0.

We have a SB5101U Surfboard cable modem. The modem is hooked up to my moms computer and I didn't get internet for a while. Even with the internet directly and solely on hers, she still got 2.0 mb/s. Later we got a Belkin b9c to give internet to both computers and caused no difference. I have accepted this speed since the beginning but now it has gotten worse. The download speeds for the most part remain the same but when I play my online games it is bad. My ping jumps from 70 to 200,300,400 and so on for only a couple of seconds or it could stay there with no things downloading. This has happened and now so common it is almost impossible to play most of the things I used to play.

The Ookla speed test dignifies that I am getting the 15mb/s download speed so I don't think it is the internet its self problem. Maybe coming from my end or what, but weither the matter I need help and any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.
carto

carto

Anon

Another thing is in periods of the day like a thread some below, my internet has some periods of no internet or connection. Usually when i get on from my cp being idle. But other times it happens aswell.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

Please go to »192.168.100.1/ and post everything from your signal/connection tab.

carto
@mindspring.com

carto

Anon

Frequency 663000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 39.2 dB
Power Level 10.4 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 34496000 Hz
Power 40.4 dBmV
PowerMac
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

Well, your signal level is somewhat not great.. Do you have any splitter/s behind the modem? If you dont have any splitters behind your modem, I recommend calling EarthLink/Time Warner Cable to have a technician come and fix your internet issue.

carto
@mindspring.com

carto

Anon

I dont think so. The only thing I can see a resemblance is a big power supply thing with many plugs for all the purposes of bringing energy to computers. So a splitter is the issue? I may need to check this out a bit.
carto

carto

Anon

If it means anything as I was looking up stuff I saw my router can have download speeds up to 38 mb/s so its not the modem itself fault.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by carto :

If it means anything as I was looking up stuff I saw my router can have download speeds up to 38 mb/s so its not the modem itself fault.

Your Cable Modem can go as fast as it is programmed unless the cable to the Modem or the cable outside on your telephone pole has signal problems or if there are too many Cable Splitters before the Modem causing low signal or if the Cable Modem itself is going bad which does happen so it also has to be diagnosed.

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

skj to carto

Mod

to carto
Moved to Earthlink Cable

carto
@mindspring.com

carto

Anon

Why would it be cable if its about internet? Or am I being totally dumb?

And true we have had this modem for a couple years. But I haven't experienced any problems with it at all.

skj
Mod
Gone South

skj

Mod

Both use internet, but one is using DSL (telephone line) and the other a cable line. You are using a SB5101U Surfboard cable modem. You are on a cable line, and not a DSL line.

carto
@mindspring.com

carto

Anon

Ah ok thanks for clarifying.

skj
Mod
Gone South

skj

Mod

You are welcome.

carto
@mindspring.com

carto

Anon

Anyways my games are now staying at 150-200 which is now the normal and on startup it says 43 and lower/higher. Still need help on this.
PowerMac
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

Did you contact Earthlink/Time Warner Cable about your issue? They will likely to fix your issue for free.
Time Warner might replace your Surfboard 5101u with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. DOCSIS 3.0 modem can bond more channels and deliver stable internet speed.
PowerMac

PowerMac

Or you can take Surfboard 5101u modem to Time Warner store and exchange for DOCSIS 3.0 modem. The exchange is free.

carto
@mindspring.com

carto

Anon

I might do that, but I need to convince my mom to do it which will be hard. But I hope it will fix this issue.