spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gaming Guy

@direcway.com

Download Limit

Hi, I got a question about download limit. Can you, Hughesnet, give me a good reason why we need a download limit? We already pay a lot of money to have internet where we live, and it's not the best, but why do we have to be forced to download only so much at a time? I'm confident that no matter how much I download, my neighbor's satellite internet won't be deteriorated, and even if it was, other companies allow it to happen, and we can't afford to just spend $10 for less than half a GB or wait a whole month to go faster than dial up. So anyways, if you can give me a better reason of why this is happening, other than it helps you gain money or petty excuses of "Stop thinking of yourselves! We're in the same boat!", because ironically, YOUR thinking of yourselves, let me know when you do get a good reason.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

A satelite cost several hundred million dollars to build & launch. It has a limited throughput; cannot be expanded or repaired and has an expected lifespan of about 15 years.
Then the ground facilities have to built, maintained and staffed.

The modems and transmitters need to be designed and built, those costs need to pickup somewhere.

genlee

join:2013-12-13
54631-0008
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

So with technology moving in leaps and bounds you would have figured these "Pros" would be on top of this. I'm sorry, but I need a better excuse than that. Most of us who experienced Hughes net know that the average Joe can't afford the charges. There isn't much competition out for the satellite industry but why jam it to the consumers???

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

The point is that the orbiting satellite represents a significant bottleneck (as opposed to DSL hubs and cell towers and cable facilities in the thousands all across the US) thus throughput has to be throttled.

If not, the other customers using your beam will spend 24/7 downloading High Def movies and choking-off your ability to do anything.
--
Gen4 Power Plan Jupiter HT1100 v3.0.0.30 Signal Strength Typical 125+

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to genlee

said by genlee:

I'm sorry, but I need a better excuse than that.

You mistake "reason" for "excuse."

gwalk explained the reason, and it is one that is very real and has no solution. Yes, technology is moving forward at a rapid pace, including in the satellite world. The latest satellites have throughput that is 10 times what old satellites have, and it would have been possible to get higher allowances. BUT that could only have been done by keeping speeds slow. Both Hughes and Exede felt that customers wanted speed more than they wanted throughput, and they were probably right. It was impossible to give both.

It would be great if they could launch more satellites, but that is only possible in very limited numbers. There are 180 "slots" up there for this type of satellite, and that's for the whole world. Approximately 30 of those slots can "see" the US, and there are a lot of uses vying for them - TV, military, industry, etc.

Satellite is one of the few technological areas where costs keep rising and physical limits exist.
--
Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool traveling in a 2004 Blue Bird M380

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

said by dbirdman:

The latest satellites have throughput that is 10 times what old satellites have, and it would have been possible to get higher allowances. BUT that could only have been done by keeping speeds slow.

I upgraded to Gen4, getting a new dish and new HT1100 modem for exactly $0, making only a new 2 year committment, and for the same amount of monthly $ I get:

1. Speeds that are 15x faster than before. Finally I can YouTube without pauses and download huge files in seconds vs. minutes

2. Bandwidth went from 200MB/day which was sometimes horribly inadequate (some of our iGizmo apps are a gigabyte in size) to 20GB per month and I find I can't use that up no matter how hard I try downloading stuff

3. The system somehow works better in inclement weather than before

Hughesnet does not compare well to any ground-based ISP, but Gen4 is certainly a wonderful service comparing it to its old self. I'm very happy with it.
--
Gen4 Power Plan Jupiter HT1100 v3.0.0.30 Signal Strength Typical 125+

island guy

@comcast.net

Gen 4 Will it travel as far south as the Bahamas