uniqs

bull3964
@verizon.net

bull3964 to itguy05

Anon

to itguy05

Re: [Channels] Increase to TV plan

said by itguy05:

We're due up in 2014 and it may be time to dust off the old spreadsheet and see what the best is:

Fios Internet + DirecTV
Fios Internet + Dish
Comcast

Fios Internet + Chromecast + Netflix + Hulu + Ala Carte Episodes off of Google Play (for stuff not on Hulu.)

I've already done the math and I could purchase a full season in HD for about 20 shows a year off Google Play for what I'm paying in FiOS TV and those would be commercial free, network bug free, and snipe free (not to mention that I would now own them and could watch them anywhere on any device I have.) The reality is, I wouldn't even have to purchase that many since Hulu would put a significant dent in that.

Cutting the cord has become more convenient, cheaper, AND higher quality than having TV service. It's also the only option for those who don't want to constantly feed the commercial sports machine.

As soon as I get caught up on my DVR content, it's likely the route I'm going to take.

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops
join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint

I would love to cut out FiosTV as well except for the kids watching all the Nick/Disney shows - there's nowhere else to get most of them that I can find.
said by bull3964 :

said by itguy05:

We're due up in 2014 and it may be time to dust off the old spreadsheet and see what the best is:

Fios Internet + DirecTV
Fios Internet + Dish
Comcast

Fios Internet + Chromecast + Netflix + Hulu + Ala Carte Episodes off of Google Play (for stuff not on Hulu.)

I've already done the math and I could purchase a full season in HD for about 20 shows a year off Google Play for what I'm paying in FiOS TV and those would be commercial free, network bug free, and snipe free (not to mention that I would now own them and could watch them anywhere on any device I have.) The reality is, I wouldn't even have to purchase that many since Hulu would put a significant dent in that.

Cutting the cord has become more convenient, cheaper, AND higher quality than having TV service. It's also the only option for those who don't want to constantly feed the commercial sports machine.

As soon as I get caught up on my DVR content, it's likely the route I'm going to take.

thetick
join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

thetick

said by QuaffAPint:

I would love to cut out FiosTV as well except for the kids watching all the Nick/Disney shows - there's nowhere else to get most of them that I can find.

What shows are you looking for?
Amazon Instant Video and Prime have many of the shows for purchase my son watches.

QuaffAPint
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint

said by thetick:

Amazon Instant Video and Prime have many of the shows for purchase my son watches.

Thanks - I did find some. Not cheap though (like $77/season/show).

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to thetick

Premium Member

to thetick
said by thetick:

Who would want to purchase shows to watch? Is it really that much cheaper than having a cable TV subscription where you can DVR anything and watch all the On Demand?
thetick
White Plains, NY

thetick

said by matcarl See Profile
Who would want to purchase shows to watch? Is it really that much cheaper than having a cable TV subscription where you can DVR anything and watch all the On Demand?
[/bquote :

My toddler's favorite show is Dino Dan which is no longer on TV. That is only show I have bought. We watch the included free on-demand and his PBS shows are all free on the PBS Roku channel. I refuse to pay the $20/month DVR fee and use Myth TV / Plex for recordings.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Dino Dan is on every Saturday & Sunday morning from 7AM-8AM on Nick Jr ch 256
thetick
White Plains, NY

thetick

It was on at 1PM Sat/Sun and was removed. I guess it could have a new time , but it was not in the guide search a few weeks back. I bought the whole season for $20 so he can watch any episode all the time on any device even while not at home.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Oh, well, it's back now if you are interested

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to matcarl

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

Sometimes I think the people who say that just download torrents, which is of course illegal.

QuaffAPint
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint

said by Greg2600:

said by matcarl:

Sometimes I think the people who say that just download torrents, which is of course illegal.

Even being the case, there's still things outside the popular stuff that's simply not made available through those various mediums. I know all those various Hallmark channel (non-Hallmark Hall of Fame) and such type movies are pretty much only available on TV.
thetick
White Plains, NY

thetick

QuaffAPint See Profile
I know all those various Hallmark channel (non-Hallmark Hall of Fame) and such type movies are pretty much only available on TV.

Check again... They are available.

See »www.hallmarkspiritclips.com and the corresponding Roku channel »www.roku.com/channels/#! ··· hallmark

"Hallmark Hall of Fame movies, SpiritClips Original Short Films, thoughtfully selected Hollywood Classics"

bull3964
@verizon.net

bull3964 to matcarl

Anon

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

Yes, it is. Did you not see my example above?

Here's my normal TV watching slate right now (which I can't really keep up with all that easily.)

Monday:
Sleepy Hollow *
Almost Human *
The Daily Show *
Colbert Report *

Tuesday:
Supernatural *
The Originals *
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D *
New Girl *
Brooklyn Nine-Nine *
TDS *
CR *

Weds:
Arrow *
The Tomorrow People *
American Horror Story
South Park
TDS *
CR *

Thursday:
TDS *
CR *

Friday:
Grimm *

Sunday:
Simpsons *
Bob's Burgers *
Family Guy *
American Dad *
The Walking Dead
Various things on Adult Swim

Items with (*) are available on Hulu+ which is only $7.99 /month.

Of the remaining:
American Horror Story - $33.99 for a full season in HD on Google Play
The Walking Dead - $42.99 for a full season in HD on Google Play
Adult Swim stuff varies - but out of what I watch it would be about $50 for a year's worth of shows.

So, Just looking at September (the start of the fall season) to now. I have spent $240 ($80 /month for 3 months) on TV service. If I would have cut the cord, I could have watched the same stuff for $151. This is all 100% legal and available less than 12 hours after the original showing (none of this "waiting for 6 months".) This kicker is, the vast majority of this is HIGHER QUALITY. Commercials on Hulu+ are limited (but you can't fast forward through them), at the same time though there aren't annoying show snipes popping up every 5 minutes like network channels. The stuff from Google Play is 100% commercial free, free of snipes and network logos, and is in 1080p.

And honestly, this is almost more programing than I can handle right now. I have several weeks of some of these shows sitting on my DVR because I haven't had a chance to watch them.

It takes a bit of a mental shift to start quantifying how much you pay for each individual show, but it's nearly always cheaper than paying for linear TV service unless you just have to have the TV on all the time for background noise.

jh28
@bankofamerica.com

jh28

Anon

Or if you're willing to wait, Walking dead and American horror story are both on Netflix.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to bull3964

MVM,

to bull3964
I wouldn't be able to "cut the cord" because I watch too much college football (baseball I already get via MLB.tv), but just to add to your argument:

If you live in a city and don't like Hulu+ (I don't), you can get a TiVo with a high quality OTA antenna. Sign up for discount TiVo service (I think they still have "secret" antenna-only plans) and DVR the network shows. No need for Hulu+.

andrade6503
@verizon.net

andrade6503

Anon

I actually don't even have a cable box. I only share the internet with my siblings. I was looking for information to give to my brother regarding this notice. I get my TV shows/movies from my local library. Might as well have my taxes go to something good and make use of it.

I don't know how other people library system is, but if my local library doesn't have a certain item, I can put in a request (can be done online) and it will ship from another library. I then can retrieve it from my town's library. They have blurays available as well.

This my library's online system: »www.bccls.org/welcome.shtml

Thought I give other people some ideas if you are thinking of going cable free.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

tlbepson

Premium Member

>>andrade6503: I don't know how other people library system is, but if my local library doesn't have a certain item, I can put in a request (can be done online) and it will ship from another library.

That's called "interlibrary loan" and is one of the lovely things offered by public libraries...'-}}