join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Re: My usage is around 40 GB per month

said by IowaCowboy:

You DO have a choice in video providers, it's called DirecTV/Dish Network.

In many urban areas this isn't an option. Eg. living in an MDU or historic laws preventing satellite dishes.
BlueC
join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN

BlueC

said by whfsdude:

said by IowaCowboy:

In many urban areas this isn't an option. Eg. living in an MDU or historic laws preventing satellite dishes.

Living in an MDU does not make it impossible to get DTV/Dish. There are many system operators out there that can install one set of dishes on the roof, and have it service the entire building over coax. It's commonly done.

DTV/Dish have their own MDU-specific system operators for that reason.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

said by IowaCowboy:

MDU is a tricky situation, that is where the FCC OTARD rules kick in. If you have a private porch or balcony, then you have a renter's right to mount that dish on there but you are SOL if it don't face the satellites.

I live in a duplex and mine is mounted on the roof. Mine was installed before the current landlord purchased the building from the larger complex but you should see all the dishes on that larger complex, it looks like a dish farm.

I think if the roof needs to ever be replaced, i'll probably go with a pole mount and mount it in the yard. The landlord is pretty lenient but I wouldn't want to pierce a brand new roof.