join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues

Re: Windows 7 gains more market share than Windows 8 and 8.1 combined

said by elwoodblues:

You're going to see OS X morph into iOS with time, it's already going that way slowly, at least Apple will update the shell incrementally, MS just threw it on there.

And at the Server level too?

I hear what what you're saying, I think,...

However, the use of the new Windows UI / Metro even in Server 2012 / 2012 Essentials didn't seem like much of a barrier IMO. Acclimating to the new server OS for me had nothing to do with Metro. I mean for my needs clicking "All apps" and then clicking "Server Manager" isn't all that hard and not all that different from the start menu.

However, what comes next is the real question IMO. Where will Microsoft take Windows from here annually,....?

Microsoft codename 'Threshold': The next major Windows wave takes shape

What comes next after Windows 8.1?

Naturally its too early to tell but I don't know if "Threshold" will diverge from the route taken with the controversial or oft detested Metro UI. Especially so given its an intended unified update of Xbox One, Windows and Windows Phone (Xbox One and Windows Phone being perfectly suited for Metro).

So that supposedly maps out to the spring of 2015 if accurate.

Edit:

Anyway, annual OS updates means more OS release which increases the potential for fragmentation due to the increase in choice (of Windows OSes).

Holding out on Windows XP was a phenomenon in the past and holding out on Windows 7 is not very different now.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

said by elwoodblues:

You're going to see OS X morph into iOS with time, it's already going that way slowly, at least Apple will update the shell incrementally, MS just threw it on there.

And at the Server level too?

I hear what what you're saying, I think,...

However, the use of the new Windows UI / Metro even in Server 2012 / 2012 Essentials didn't seem like much of a barrier IMO. Acclimating to the new server OS for me had nothing to do with Metro. I mean for my needs clicking "All apps" and then clicking "Server Manager" isn't all that hard and not all that different from the start menu.

However, what comes next is the real question IMO. Where will Microsoft take Windows from here annually,....?

Microsoft codename 'Threshold': The next major Windows wave takes shape

What comes next after Windows 8.1?

Naturally its too early to tell but I don't know if "Threshold" will diverge from the route taken with the controversial or oft detested Metro UI. Especially so given its an intended unified update of Xbox One, Windows and Windows Phone (Xbox One and Windows Phone being perfectly suited for Metro).

So that supposedly maps out to the spring of 2015 if accurate.

Edit:

Anyway, annual OS updates means more OS release which increases the potential for fragmentation due to the increase in choice (of Windows OSes).

Holding out on Windows XP was a phenomenon in the past and holding out on Windows 7 is not very different now.

I agree, I've been using the new servers on some projects and it has been rather easy.

Getting to tackle new projects from 2012 in the back end to HTML5 clients on the front while dumping legacy systems is a real pleasure. I've been lucky to work in places where the software, not the hardware or fear of change, dictate the systems in use.