Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
reply to Nsane_iceman

Re: [Config] Performance due to VLAN, incomplete STP, or loop backs?

Looking at the "show version" output, I don't quite understand the consideration of having some switches running various flavor of IOS images; IP Base, IP Services, and Advanced IP Services. Perhaps you can enlighten us?

To add what TomS_ See Profile mentioned, perhaps can you also describe what devices connected to which switch ports? This is to make sure that proper device connect to properly-configured switch port.

In addition to what DarkLogix See Profile brought up, is there by any chance professional wiring test conducted to see whether your inside-wall cabling are capable of supporting at least 1 Gbps speed?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

1 edit
Just looked around some more and here's a more current switch for what I was suggesting

WS-C3750X-24S-E odd that there isn't a 24 spf 3560-X
depending on cost limits I'd lean to the 3560E I posted about but if cost isn't then the 3750-X

though the 3750X can have an uplink module giving it ether 2x 10g ports or 4 more gig ports and unlike the 3560E the 3750X is stackable

remember with a L2 loop STP will kill one of the links to prevent a network outage so while you have a loop one port somewhere should be down.

with what I suggest your network would have better backbone bandwidth which should help. (though that QOS might also be at fault)
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

Nsane_iceman
Premium
join:2001-02-26
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to aryoba
said by aryoba:

Looking at the "show version" output, I don't quite understand the consideration of having some switches running various flavor of IOS images; IP Base, IP Services, and Advanced IP Services. Perhaps you can enlighten us?

I have no idea, or the details of the differences, but I'll find out.

said by aryoba:

To add what TomS_ See Profile mentioned, perhaps can you also describe what devices connected to which switch ports? This is to make sure that proper device connect to properly-configured switch port.

I'll get a list going and find a command I can use the IP to show the port it's on. Mostly is going to be: printers (~63), desktops (~8), laptops on a dock (~12), Cisco phones (~20) that might also have a laptop plugged into it.

said by aryoba:

In addition to what DarkLogix See Profile brought up, is there by any chance professional wiring test conducted to see whether your inside-wall cabling are capable of supporting at least 1 Gbps speed?

According to Southwest who made the new runs in the offices and cubes, the cables and jacks can do gig. Out on the warehouse floor with the printers and desktops, it's unlikely to get able to or needed.
--
Avatar by: dandelion | Tell me, tell me what you're after. I just want to get there faster.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
If you have an active smartnet then I'd just upgrade them all to the same version of IOS (maybe not the same bin file but version number and level, aka IP advanced services)

that would solve the varying versions issue.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

Nsane_iceman
Premium
join:2001-02-26
North Richland Hills, TX
said by DarkLogix:

If you have an active smartnet then I'd just upgrade them all to the same version of IOS (maybe not the same bin file but version number and level, aka IP advanced services)

that would solve the varying versions issue.

Tried going to the Cisco web before, but when trying to do anything it tells me to contact my reseller or something for the S/N provided.
--
Avatar by: dandelion | Tell me, tell me what you're after. I just want to get there faster.