TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Jose

MVM

to Jose

Re: [Southeast] Keep ATT DSL and port phone #

said by Jose :

My main question is: Does someone knows how to port a phone number without loosing the DSL service (and the e-mail address, and the content on the inbox of that e-mail address)? Cramer,do you know?

I outlined one method which should work, assuming the local service still offers legacy ADSL. The problem with that method is whether one can still order dry loop ADSL service from AT&T, or does AT&T only offer IPDSL. If AT&T only offers IPDSL, I don't know if it would work.

As for losing e-mail: In April, 2011, I switched voice and DSL to a local CLEC. I can still access the old '@pacbell.net' accounts. I lost neither e-mail accounts, nor the contents of those accounts.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Historically ISPs didn't maintain any value-add services once you were no longer a customer, but with the many free email services available today, abundance of out-sourcing, and the general cheapness of running email, most of the major players won't touch your email once you cancel services.

AT&T/Bellsouth specifically outsourced their email to Yahoo! years ago, so your email account can remain after termination of all other services.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by cramer:

AT&T/Bellsouth specifically outsourced their email to Yahoo! years ago ...

Eleven and one half years ago, to be more precise; well before SBC bought AT&T. Furthermore, AT&T began allowing free Web Mail services through Yahoo! some time in 2009/2010; no AT&T account necessary to sign up.