spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tom_tom

join:2009-01-17
toronto

Slow upload speeds in Stouffville (north-east of Markham)

I have been experiencing very slow upload speeds all day. I'm located in Stouffville (north-east of Markham). Anybody in my area experiencing upload problems?
I'm on Red Cable.

The download speed is completely unaffected - speedtest always shows 25 Mbps and I can watch Youtube or Netflix without a hitch. But upload is terrible. Even to just send an email takes around 20 seconds, and quite often times out. Speedtest hovers around 0.5 Mbps (should be 2Mbps) for a while and then gets stuck without being able to finish the test.

Pings work fine. When I ping Google, I get 0% loss.

I already sent email to Start and run some scripts on my end to help troubleshoot the issue, but I haven't heard from them for the last four hours, so not sure if they have found the issue or not. This is the first issue I have since I switched to Start 10 months ago. I hope they can fix quickly as I have lots of big files that I need to upload

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

I see your email and MTR showing the loss before the 1st hop (ie the local node). Sorry we don't have an update yet, it's probably best to call in as we'll need to complete the trouble-shooting and get all the info in order to submit a ticket. Thanks.

tom_tom

toronto

I have already ran your test.bat file, and sent my modem diagnostic info earlier today. Not sure what else can be done here on my side...

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

I appreciate that you've sent that in, but unfortunately for slow speed tickets it's essential you call in and walk through the process to ensure that we have all the information (which is insanely comprehensive) that Red requires for us to submit this type of ticket. I certainly don't agree with the lengths we have to go through, but if we want a successful outcome these are the steps we need to take. It really isn't something we can adequately do via email I'm afraid.

tom_tom

toronto

So, apparently Rogers rejected my ticket, and we have to go through the whole procedure again. It's been 5 days now since I reported the problem and so far no progress at all. Does it always take this long? I had to use my LTE connection today to send important files. I already spent $30 in overage charges for my LTE because of this.
I must say it is very frustrating and I wished Start had a better support agreement with Rogers.

tom_tom

toronto
reply to tom_tom

So now my ticket was once again rejected by Rogers. It seems that the missing information was me pinging my own IP address that was assigned to me by Rogers. How pinging my own IP address from the same local machine is going to help investigate slow upload speeds?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

I've taken that question up to the manager of the CSG group several times and lost. Their rules unfortunately in order to submit a ticket.

chall2k56

join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Acanac
·WIND Mobile
reply to tom_tom

Yeah, I had that too....I think its to weed out defective network cards and TCP/IP stacks

its a way Rogers can say that they are doing great on the tickets that actual'y make it past all these stupid rules, since it seems most outages are usually resolved before they get the revised ones back

tom_tom

toronto
reply to tom_tom

So my ticket was rejected again. Now, they want me to ping yahoo.com 25 times.
At this point I think it is pretty clear they just coming up with excuses to make the experience for Start users as bad as possible.
I'm really disappointed with this, since It has been 8 days now without being able to use my connection normally (and it affects me quite a bit because I work from home via VPN). Is it also that bad when you completely lose a connection? Or is my case just some sort of lower priority because I can still somehow use my connection?

I'm already $60 down for my LTE bill this month... I really hope this is going to be fixed soon.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1

Just out of curiosity, what is the US/Send light on your modem doing and what are the power levels like on the Upstream/Return path?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to tom_tom

Have you called it in and done all the trouble-shooting over the phone? A cursory look at the notes only seems to be email correspondence but it's pretty much impossible to deal with these types of tickets via email since we need all the information collected at the same time while walking through the steps. Ie, your traceroutes and pings show 0% loss, but your MTR shows 11% loss on the first hop - ie these are conflicting reports that Rogers will reject every time. Again I urge you to call in while the problem is occuring, do all the steps at the same time on the phone with us and we can get a ticket in. Thanks.

tom_tom

toronto

Yes, I called in. I was also contacted by Start via phone. I think I spoke to 4 different reps over the last week.
The good news is that they finally accepted my ticket. The not-so-good news is that they said there is nothing wrong on their side, and right after they said that my connection was back to normal. So while I'm happy my connection is fully functional, I'm a little bit worried that the real issue behind it wasn't really fixed and I might have problem again soon.

But for now, I'm back to having the speeds I'm paying for. Thanks!