dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
zeonstar
join:2006-11-21
Hayward, CA

zeonstar

Re: [Connectivity] Can't get Netflix HD/Super HD with Comcast.

Well I am getting HD with my other device, though it's most likely 720p. But it's consistent.

Anyone know why that test video wont show me the text overlay with my resolution/bitrate when using Netflix Via my Samsung TV?
mrschultz02
join:2007-09-10
Wallingford, PA
Asus RT-AC88

mrschultz02

said by zeonstar:

Anyone know why that test video wont show me the text overlay with my resolution/bitrate when using Netflix Via my Samsung TV?

I've noticed that also, certain devices don't show the text overlay. I get it on my Roku HD box, but between my TV, Blu-Ray, and AppleTV only one of them showed it, it's been a while and I don't remember witch one.
said by kevin79:

Where do I get the test video at?

Do a search for "Example Short 23.976"
DanM64
join:2013-01-10
Mokena, IL

1 recommendation

DanM64

Just some advice- the test movie also does sound frequncy tests that are really high pitched, so you may want to turn the volume down or mute it all together
zeonstar
Hayward, CA

zeonstar to mrschultz02

to mrschultz02
It kind of makes the test video useless, doesn't it? I had though the text was embedded into the video. The irony is it works on my BD Netflix player, where I don't need it since I can just press info and see an overlay in the corner of my current resolution and audio output.

So even though I am getting a better picture with my older device, other threads have left me confused as to weather my issue is my BluRay Player simply being a crappy Netflix device, or an issue with Netflix.
mrschultz02
join:2007-09-10
Wallingford, PA
Asus RT-AC88

mrschultz02

said by zeonstar:

It kind of makes the test video useless, doesn't it? I had though the text was embedded into the video. The irony is it works on my BD Netflix player, where I don't need it since I can just press info and see an overlay in the corner of my current resolution and audio output.

Yeah, I was very confused when it didn't show up on some devices, I also figured it had to be embedded in the different bit rate streams. Maybe it's using subtitles somehow and some devices don't show them?

Just tried it on my PC and the android phone app, get the text on the PC but not on the phone.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to DanM64

to DanM64
said by DanM64:

Just some advice- the test movie also does sound frequncy tests that are really high pitched, so you may want to turn the volume down or mute it all together

Good advice. I've always been concerned it could blow out or damage speakers so I always recommend muting the audio. Also discovered that the other audio language tracks don't play the audio sweep you mentioned.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to zeonstar

to zeonstar
said by zeonstar:

PlayStation 3 does the same thing with the "Display" button so I know what you mean.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf

I wonder what other devices have their own display type.
vandergraff2
join:2005-10-17

vandergraff2 to zeonstar

to zeonstar
said by zeonstar:

You will only see the embedded resolution/bit rate on Netflix players that support adaptive streaming (most newer Netflix players do).

Probably a pretty good indication is if your Netflix player can support 1080P/5.1 Netflix streaming it is using the adaptive stream and you will see the embedded resolution/bit rate.

Another indication that you are getting the adaptive stream is if Netflix starts at low resolution and then ramps up to higher quality (although I have seen adaptive streaming start at highest quality on some players).
zeonstar
Hayward, CA

zeonstar

My BD Player is definitely a more modern netflix player that supports the adaptive streaming and can ramp up. It just doesn't ramp up!