spc
Search similar:

uniqs

NoSpark
@verizon.net

NoSpark

Anon

Burn Out?

I changed jobs a few weeks ago which has placed me back into IT management. Prior to my current position I was a network admin that also supervised staff, so far I feel that I have a really good team people. I have identified several issues in the environment and developed plans to resolve those issues; I have all everyone I need on board...however after years of implementing some really tough solutions for issues in the past I think I maybe feeling burnt out. Some of the tasks I've delegated while some of the others I need to address but I feel like I don't have the willingness to take on any of the tasks right now, I did take some time off before starting this new job but I'm wondering if it was enough. What do you guys do to rejuvenate yourselves?

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

1 recommendation

tubbynet

MVM

drink. heavily. ;-P

seriously though -- you need to figure out what is causing the burn-out. is it the lack of productivity? lack of people listening to your ideas or only paying you lip service? is it the lack of work life balance?

only when you're honest with *why* you're feeling burned out will you be able to get to the bottom of the problem. once you know the problem, then it becomes an easy fix (at least on paper).

q.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

Management is its own punishment.

I survive and thrive in IT after 16 years by leaving that job to someone who wants/needs it.

Management is not for me.

Tubby is correct, at least in my case, about drinking.

It keeps me a happy camper.

Mind you, I don't let it get in the way of my productivity.

Your mileage may vary.

Blob
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to NoSpark

Premium Member

to NoSpark
The good news is you've picked up on the fact that you're burned out.

I didn't for a long time. And it got ugly.

I've found that leaving work at work has helped tremendously. I had a conversation with the boss' boss and was told that I was to come in at x'o'clock and go home at x'o'clock unless the building was burning down.

I go home, put the work cell phone on the dresser and ignore it until it is time to go to work the next day 99% of the time. Being in management, you should be ble to do that 94% of the time if everything is humming along.

After about 6 months of that, things started getting brighter. Though, I do struggle to come in most mornings, still.

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel to NoSpark

Premium Member

to NoSpark
Similar to ke4pym, I try my best to keep work at work and my boss and board ok with this.

In my time in IT, when I get down/burnt out I try to find a project/topic I want to learn and play with that I haven't in the past. Usually gets me pepped up a bit and it carries over into my work.

I also find taking a few shorter days helps. Some people tell me to just take a Friday off for a longer weekend, but I found I get more out of my time both on and off if I do 5x 7 hours days vs 4x 10 hour days.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to NoSpark

MVM

to NoSpark
Take a vacation / staycation, or get a non-IT related hobby that's 720degrees away from your workaday life.

My 00000010bits

Regards

JB9
Stay Gold
Premium Member
join:2009-05-14

JB9 to NoSpark

Premium Member

to NoSpark
Yep, I'm pretty burned out ATM; if you need some motivation just think of everyone who is unemployed and be thankful for what you have. I just suck it up and keep on moving. I would like to move laterally, but that doesn't generally happen, looking out for other options, it is Experience+Certs or burst, pretty depressing.

Anyways, as others have said, vacation / new role. Maybe take on a new certification/training ?

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to NoSpark

MVM

to NoSpark
This really depends on the person.

I have been in IT since 1991 either part time through college or full time today. Its hard to believe that I have 22 years of experience. In that time, I have worked at 7 different places. I worked my way up from doing small installation work to a Network Admin and finally to an IT Director today.

I have never experienced burn out. Yes, I will say that again, I have never experienced burn out. I enjoy IT work. IT isn't a job to me, it is my passion. I get up every morning and am excited about what is going on at work. Are there things I don't like doing? Yes, but those are very few and far between. I guess that is why I don't experience burn out. I love my job and I love what I do.

Maybe I am crazy.

NoSpark
@verizon.net

NoSpark

Anon

said by Nightfall:

This really depends on the person.

I have been in IT since 1991 either part time through college or full time today. Its hard to believe that I have 22 years of experience. In that time, I have worked at 7 different places. I worked my way up from doing small installation work to a Network Admin and finally to an IT Director today.

I have never experienced burn out. Yes, I will say that again, I have never experienced burn out. I enjoy IT work. IT isn't a job to me, it is my passion. I get up every morning and am excited about what is going on at work. Are there things I don't like doing? Yes, but those are very few and far between. I guess that is why I don't experience burn out. I love my job and I love what I do.

Maybe I am crazy.

I've been in IT about 15 years now & I don't feel the same itch that I used to when I saw some new cool tech. I'm wondering if that's just the burn out or because I've been in the field so long that nothing is special anymore.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to NoSpark

Premium Member

to NoSpark
I moved on when I burned out .... First became a sales engineer, and now an account exec. Still in touch with the technology, but I get paid a lot more and someone else does on call duty. I love it!!

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to NoSpark

MVM

to NoSpark
said by NoSpark :

I've been in IT about 15 years now & I don't feel the same itch that I used to when I saw some new cool tech. I'm wondering if that's just the burn out or because I've been in the field so long that nothing is special anymore.

I think a lot of it has to do with expectations and achievement. I have a high level of achievement just by accomplishing tasks at work. Right now for instance, I am working on an office move, installing fiber at a new location, and installing a new internet connection at a new facility. Then I have all the budgeting and personnel stuff to work with.

Same thing I have done before? Yes.

Still feel accomplished? Yes.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to NoSpark

Premium Member

to NoSpark
I quickly burn out at a job. I am thankful that my rapid advancement over the last few years has allowed me to change things up so that I'm rarely sitting in one spot for too long. The problem is that when I enter a position, I want to conquer it, to be the best and most efficient at what I'm doing. For some jobs, they're conquered within days or weeks. The more technical jobs I've been doing have taken several months.

I need to be challenged or I get bored fast. Management doesn't always recognize that I'm capable and hungry for a challenge long before they realize I've conquered a problem area.

As an example, we had several accounts that were covered by a team of five. I was the newest and fifth person on the team. Our team lead had strong technical abilities but had poor understandings of business and poor customer service and communication issues.

Our team lost three individuals to other positions (one of them fired) and I now lead the accounts. When it was the five of us, we were swamped. Now that it's two of us, I managed to get all of our accounts into a steady-state and our accounts appreciate it. One person could do this job and still browse the Internet half the day, but they want a backup admin.

I've conquered this job. There's nothing left to do or improve that doesn't require an unwanted outage... and those improvements are marginal at best. I need a new challenge. I went from new guy to lead in just over a year.

I guess my thirst for a challenge is a good thing though. It drove me out to find those challenges and I've been through five promotions in the last six years, averaging about 14 months in any single promotion.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Veloslave to NoSpark

Premium Member

to NoSpark
It's simple really....

It's always like that!

Make your list, prioritize it, do what you can and go home at night.

Repeat.

(Remember or chant line two when needed)