Search similar:

uniqs

dm88
@comcast.net

1 edit

dm88

Anon

[Price] Triple Play cheaper than Double Play

I have been on a Triple Play for a few years and don't really need the phone service. I have been trying Ooma out for several months in the hopes of dropping Comcast Voice and it has worked great. So since my current promotion is up this month, I called to see if I could just get cable and internet and they offered me the Preferred XF Triple Play for $119 a month (comes to $140 a month before taxes with the DVR, modem, and two digital adapters) for 2 years with a contract. If I were to downgrade and get just starter cable and internet, it is more expensive than this package which includes Preferred TV. Is this the best way to go? I even looked into getting Direct TV but I wouldn't be saving much because internet costs more with Comcast if you only subscribe to that. Is there anyway to get off of a Triple Play so I could actually save by having my own modem and not getting phone service? Or is this price as good as it's going to get?

Edited to add topic group category. Sunny See Profile
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Re: Triple Play cheaper than Double Play

Thats probably as good as its going to get. While comcast is good at reupping promotions with the triple play its really hard to get them to even reup a promo with double play and nearly impossible to get them to offer of a promo if you decide to downgrade services.
joejoejeo
join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo to dm88

to dm88
It depends on what package you get and what discounts and promos they offer
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to dm88

to dm88
I just came off a Double play promo, called yesterday and got Preferred w/Performance HSI for $90/mo for 12 months. Triple play was quoted at $110 but I don't need that, and I also downgraded from Blast to Perf because I didn't need the Blast speed that came with the old promo.

I was surprised that I was able to get right on another promo right after mine expired, been told before you have to wait X amount of months. Guess they're feeling the heat from U-Verse in my area, been a lot of switchers here and they offer the same promo rate for TV + net.

Make sure you select the option to downgrade or cancel service when you call, that gets you to the reps with the best offers.

dm88
@comcast.net

dm88

Anon

I was a little surprised too that they offered that promo for that price. I was expecting maybe $30 off the full price but not $45. But since they will have me hooked in for 2 years its probably worth it to them. I mentioned that my DVR is always filling up too fast too and they put me on the waiting list for the X1 and said that would be no extra charge and free installation. I have read mixed reviews on that too so I don't know. I thought about downgrading and paying full price for a few months and then see if they offer a promo but I guess they could say no when the time comes. If I do this and don't use the voice, do you know if it is possible to buy my own modem (even though it isn't voice capable) so I can save the $7 per month, or will they allow that?
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

said by dm88 :

If I do this and don't use the voice, do you know if it is possible to buy my own modem (even though it isn't voice capable) so I can save the $7 per month, or will they allow that?

Why don't you just buy your own EMTA (like I did) & then you won't have any "issues" with trying to have them provision a non-phone modem on an trip-play account...plus you will have a (working) landline for emergencies.

dm88
@comcast.net

dm88

Anon

I wasn't aware you could buy one of those. What type do you have and how much do they cost?
dishrich
Springfield, IL

dishrich

You have to purchase it from a Best Buy; not all have them though. I have the Arris TM722G & it was $150...but there is probably a newer one out now.
Since we have no idea where you're at, go here & see if you have one in your area.

»www.comcast.com/digitalv ··· icemodem

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to dm88

MVM

to dm88

Re: [Price] Triple Play cheaper than Double Play

Upgraded to a triple-play package myself tonight. The 12-month promo rate was $10 less than what I'm paying for my current, out-of-promo double-play package.

I'm porting my second Verizon POTS line to CDV (my main line is staying with Verizon for now), so I'll also be saving about $16 a month on my VZ bill.

So now I just need to purchase an eMTA: »Re: [Equip] Suggestions for DOCSIS 3.0 modem

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx

FureverFurry

Premium Member

If you decide to purchase your eMTA, be sure to save your receipt for the next 100 years. Unfortunately, CC has an unfortunate habit of suddenly deciding equipment the customer owns is "theirs" and the ONLY proof is the receipt.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

Many of people had it removed without the receipt. I owned my modem since around 1995 , Went triple play around 2 months ago and started renting. Im now planning on buying a emta. I wont be saving my receipt as in the 15 years they never did that with me. If they do i have 100 percent faith i can have it taken care of thru the direct forum here.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to FureverFurry

MVM

to FureverFurry
said by FureverFurry:

If you decide to purchase your eMTA, be sure to save your receipt for the next 100 years.

Yes, thanks, I've held on to the receipt to my old, trusty Moto SB6121 modem for just that reason.

I suppose it's not a good omen that when I received the confirmation email for my upgrade, it listed a $7 (soon to be $8) charge for voice modem rental, even though I made it very clear to the CSR that I would be purchasing one!
GTFan
Austell, GA

GTFan to rody_44

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Many of people had it removed without the receipt. I owned my modem since around 1995 , Went triple play around 2 months ago and started renting. Im now planning on buying a emta. I wont be saving my receipt as in the 15 years they never did that with me. If they do i have 100 percent faith i can have it taken care of thru the direct forum here.

You do know that Comcast screws this up all the time, right? Probably because they hope people won't notice? It's happened to my daughter with a modem I gave her, they just started charging every month (out of the blue) and she had to keep calling until eventually she got tired of it and escalated to corporate for the fix.

dm88
@comcast.net

dm88

Anon

So it sounds like you have to buy the EMTA modem at Best Buy for $150 in order to activate it. I have read posts where people that bought them off of ebay couldn't get them activated and if I have to pay $150 for it that is going to take almost 2 years to pay for it. If it costs that much and I can't just use a regular $50 modem or even a $50 EMTA I find off of ebay, I guess I am stuck renting it.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

I'd like to purchase an ARRIS TM822G, as it is 8x4, but they're at least $200 new right now on Amazon (»www.amazon.com/gp/offer- ··· tion=new), and Comcast may give me a hard time provisioning it.

Since I'm not experiencing any speed issues currently using a Motorola SB6121 4x4 modem with my Performance 25/5 plan, I guess I'll try just purchasing a TM722G 4x4 model from an authorized Best Buy. Even if it costs as much as $150, it will still pay for itself within 2 years, given that the rental fee is going up to $8/mo starting next year.

Unfortunately, the closest location listed at »www.comcast.com/digitalv ··· icemodem is about an hour away.
dishrich
Springfield, IL

dishrich

said by telcodad:

Unfortunately, the closest location listed at »www.comcast.com/digitalv ··· icemodem is about an hour away.

So call that BB & have them ship it to your local BB...that's how I got mine all the way from Joliet down here to Springpatch.

When I went to pick mine up, they actually had TWO other EMTA's come in f/other customers that were doing the same thing as me - my local BB told me they do this all the time f/EMTA's.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by dishrich:

said by telcodad:

So call that BB & have them ship it to your local BB...that's how I got mine all the way from Joliet down here to Springpatch.

Thanks for that tip! I didn't know that they would do that.
dishrich
Springfield, IL

dishrich to dm88

to dm88
said by dm88 :

if I have to pay $150 for it that is going to take almost 2 years to pay for it. If it costs that much and I can't just use a regular $50 modem or even a $50 EMTA I find off of ebay, I guess I am stuck renting it.

Well NO, you're NOT really (that) "stuck" - if you do the math, at the new (ridiculous) rental rate of $8/month, buying the modem now will pay for itself in 19 months. (little over 1.5 years) So since you're going to commit yourself for a 2 year contact, you WILL be $$$ ahead by about $40 buying it - & that's assuming you will NOT be around on CC after that. If you are still on them, obviously then you WILL be ahead then; if you dump CC, you could sell it to someone else that would probably be happy to get an EMTA cheap.

I guess I just don't see how this is NOT a no-brainer (buying the EMTA)...AND getting a better rate on a X3 pkg, that costs almost the same as an X2...

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

So will Comcast activate a Best Buy purchased eMTA in, say, Indy that was purchased at a Chicago area Best Buy? Or is it Market restricted as to which areas will allow purchased eMTAs?
GTFan
Austell, GA

GTFan

Area doesn't matter, if it's an approved eMTA it doesn't matter where you buy it.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

2 edits

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by GTFan:

Area doesn't matter, if it's an approved eMTA it doesn't matter where you buy it.

May just be a Christmas gift for my brother who is using a Docsis 2 rented eMTA for Xfinity VoIP/Internet down in Hoosierland

I simply noticed the Comcast page linked in this thread did not show any Indiana locations where the eMTA is for sale

Checked with the Comcast Rep @ the local Best Buy -- he said the Arris TM722G eMTAs to purchase are out of stock, all around the Chicago area, and won't be back in till after Christmas/around the New Year
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to dm88

Premium Member

to dm88
To the OP. 119.99 is based on paperless billing. Otherwise, it's 129.99. 119.99 is only for the 1st 12 months. The second year is billed at 139.99, with $10 off for the paperless billing. Our starter pkg. ended last year. We go directly to the co. to change out equipment, re-up etc. So, last year someone gave us digital preferred for a year at the same price we were paying, 99.99/mo. But now that's up too. Just today, they put us back to starter at 99.99/mo. Last year was a nice lady. This year was a mean lady, bitched us out and said she was putting a note on our account that we can't re-up with promo next year. ATT has been around a lot lately, now I know why.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by dishrich:

said by telcodad:

I'd like to purchase an ARRIS TM822G, as it is 8x4, but they're at least $200 new right now on Amazon (»www.amazon.com/gp/offer- ··· tion=new), and Comcast may give me a hard time provisioning it.

Since I'm not experiencing any speed issues currently using a Motorola SB6121 4x4 modem with my Performance 25/5 plan, I guess I'll try just purchasing a TM722G 4x4 model from an authorized Best Buy. Even if it costs as much as $150, it will still pay for itself within 2 years, given that the rental fee is going up to $8/mo starting next year.

Thanks for that tip! I didn't know that they would do that.

Oh well, it turns out that none of the "select Best Buy locations" in NJ have these eMTAs anymore.

I next tried my local Comcast office, but no eMTAs were available for purchase there.

So, I'm taking a chance on buying a TM822G for $200 (+ shipping) from Amazon now (all of the TM722Gs currently listed are either used or refurbished, so I had no choice but to go with the more expensive TM822G).

The vendor is located here in NJ, so I figure I should have it in time for the install on Thursday. If Comcast ends up giving me a hard time provisioning it, at least I always have no problems returning items through Amazon.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

»stores.ownyourcablemodem ··· tail.bok is selling the TM822G for 180, no shipping, and claiming new in box, with a guarantee to work on Xfinity/Comcast

The TM822G is on Comcast's approved modem list, fyi

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by ILpt4U:

»stores.ownyourcablemodem ··· tail.bok is selling the TM822G for 180, no shipping, and claiming new in box, with a guarantee to work on Xfinity/Comcast

Thanks, now you tell me!

That's OK, I see they're based in Utah, so I'd be afraid I wouldn't get it by Thursday. I really don't want to have a rental listed on my account, even for 1 month, given the issues people have been having with Comcast suddenly charging a rental fee for those customers who later on ended up purchasing a modem.

I wonder if they are the same outfit listed as "Dontleaseyourmodemdotcom" on Amazon, as that one is located in Utah also. There it's listed for "$209.95 + $7.49 shipping"
said by ILpt4U:

The TM822G is on Comcast's approved modem list, fyi

Yes, I wouldn't purchase anything that wasn't.

dm88
@comcast.net

dm88 to joewho

Anon

to joewho
Actually no, it is 119.99 for the entire 24 months because I am on a contract. The one you mentioned is what I was previously on because I was not on a 2 year contract.
said by joewho:

To the OP. 119.99 is based on paperless billing. Otherwise, it's 129.99. 119.99 is only for the 1st 12 months. The second year is billed at 139.99, with $10 off for the paperless billing. Our starter pkg. ended last year. We go directly to the co. to change out equipment, re-up etc. So, last year someone gave us digital preferred for a year at the same price we were paying, 99.99/mo. But now that's up too. Just today, they put us back to starter at 99.99/mo. Last year was a nice lady. This year was a mean lady, bitched us out and said she was putting a note on our account that we can't re-up with promo next year. ATT has been around a lot lately, now I know why.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to dishrich

Premium Member

to dishrich
My Local BB haven't had any in a while they said and I live in Joliet my whole life so I bought a used TM822G a few months ago for $120 bought a back up battery but since he shipped it a day late he threw in one for free even I thought bought one lol but since the TM722G they gave me just worked for me I just wanted a newer EMTA that I owned and will be paid off since I have my own router & now EMTA that works just fine that Comcast registered in 2 seconds if you have a Cordless phone then the main phone needs to be plugged into the EMTA since it's a Customer owned EMTA not a Comcast one
dishrich
Springfield, IL

dishrich

said by iNick:

if you have a Cordless phone then the main phone needs to be plugged into the EMTA since it's a Customer owned EMTA not a Comcast one

HUH...what diff DOES this make if you or CC owns the EMTA???

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

:

said by telcodad:

Oh well, it turns out that none of the "select Best Buy locations" in NJ have these eMTAs anymore.

I next tried my local Comcast office, but no eMTAs were available for purchase there.

So, I'm taking a chance on buying a TM822G for $200 (+ shipping) from Amazon now (all of the TM722Gs currently listed are either used or refurbished, so I had no choice but to go with the more expensive TM822G).

The vendor is located here in NJ, so I figure I should have it in time for the install on Thursday. If Comcast ends up giving me a hard time provisioning it, at least I always have no problems returning items through Amazon.

said by telcodad:

said by ILpt4U:

Thanks, now you tell me!
:
I wonder if they are the same outfit listed as "Dontleaseyourmodemdotcom" on Amazon, as that one is located in Utah also. There it's listed for "$209.95 + $7.49 shipping"

FYI - I see today that the price for that new ARRIS TM822G eMTA being sold by "Dontleaseyourmodemdotcom" has now dropped to "$199.95 + $7.49 shipping.

They are also now showing a new TM722G eMTA for $199.98 + $6.99 shipping »www.amazon.com/gp/offer- ··· tion=new . For $0.47 more, I'd spring for the 8x4 TM822G model!
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

Sounds a lot like this guy. If i remember correctly he was reselling the same modem over and over again even going as far as having customers send it directly to the next customer and not refunding the money. I think he came up under a few companies and just kept changing the name of the company. Not saying it is but it might be. If memory serves me correctly he always had a hotmail account and worked as son and dad ripping people off. »[Rant] ownyourmodem.com