Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA

1 recommendation

fuziwuzi to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop

Re: AT&T and friends can't be trusted

I guess you've never heard of Louisiana, North Carolina, and several other US states where legislators, paid by AT&T and other incumbents, have thwarted (or tried to) efforts by citizens to better serve their areas. Have you lived under a rock?

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop

As I asked before, please point out the laws that prohibit anyone from starting their own ISP in any state.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

1 recommendation

TBBroadband to fuziwuzi

to fuziwuzi
Start a co-op with your neighbors and expand it. DO NOT make it a Muni and don't believe what you read on the front page. AT&T does NOT stop you from starting an ISP like many on where want to make you believe and call for Muni/Federal Fiber for everyone.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

said by TBBroadband:

Start a co-op with your neighbors and expand it. DO NOT make it a Muni and don't believe what you read on the front page. AT&T does NOT stop you from starting an ISP like many on where want to make you believe and call for Muni/Federal Fiber for everyone.

Right, they only stop YOU from being an isp if YOU are a group called a community and are banded together by a voting majority.

Washington State. It is against the law for any public agency to provide end user internet services. Period. Law passed with the help of GTE when the first Public Utility Districts created fiber optic networks in the late 1990's.

Public electricity. Ok. Private electricity. Ok. Public internet. NOT OK. Private internet. Ok. See the problem here? I do, too many people who believe "the way it is" is the answer and solution to let private business monopolize a sector that applies to almost everyone in a government jurisdiction.

When people want something, when people band together to create something, when people vote to approve something, they should be allowed to do so with no interference from non-voting entities. Businesses can't vote. Corporations can't Vote. CEO's living in other jurisdiction can't vote. But the reality and the actual laws don't seem to convey these blatant points into reality every day.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow to fuziwuzi

Premium Member

to fuziwuzi
In NC they only stopped government systems from being built not private systems. I can't remember if the fight they had in Louisiana was private or municipal. I think one of the power companies is building a fiber system a couple counties away. Not sure yet.
WhatNow

WhatNow to firephoto

Premium Member

to firephoto
Could a co-op fiber company be legal? One that is in no way connected to a town or county government. In some areas we have op-op power companies. They are run like a private company. I wonder if a co-op power company could build a fiber system.
« blaaah
This is a sub-selection from AT&T and friends can't be trusted