uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

[WIN8] Turn off Taskbar Thumbnails?

I followed the instructions I found for Windows 7 and the Microsoft answers forum said it works in Windows 8 Pro but it doesn't work. The thumbnails on the taskbar I think are the worse thing in Windows 8. It is really bothering me after a year of those useless, extremely irritating thingies. How do I turn them off?

I used gpedit.msc and under administrative templates/startmenu and taskbar I enabled "turn off taskbar thumbnails". I then rebooted the computer and the thumbnails still get constantly in my face and have zero useful value (the worst thing about leaving XP Pro is how horrible the taskbar is in Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 (its worse than Metro in Win 8). I want my useful XP style taskbar back with NO thumbnails. How do I accomplish this?

I read for Win 7 that if the user doesn't have Pro or Ultimate version (thus no gpedit.msc) that it can be done in the registry. Will that work on Windows 8 Pro since gpedit.msc does nothing to kill them? gpedit.msc states all those entries under administrative templates work only on Vista. If so, then why are they in Windows 8 Pro?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

jupitermoon

join:2011-09-27
Taskbar Thumbnails Tuner claims to be able to do this:

»winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.72

The end of the video (2:58 or so) shows this in action.

If you try this, make sure you download the latest version, v1.0.0.1. There was a bug in v1.0 that left thumbnails enabled even though Disable thumbnails was checked.

See DoopaDoop's post (#9) at the following link if you'd rather edit the registry keys manually:

»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···59a83a0f

Another post and run...

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Aloha! Long time no see.

I installed the Taskbar Thumbnails Tuner. It is a relief to get rid of those irritating thumbnails. If my mouse got anywhere near the taskbar up they would pop and since I have my hand on the mouse all time except when typing I was seeing them pop up way too often...just like the charms bar and the big ugly black clock until I got Start8.

I guess the behavior I see is from Win 7? It is not like with XP. If I have three windows open in Thunderbird all minimized placing the mouse over any of them does not do what XP taskbar would do. I had to play with it to figure it out. You have to have really fine control of the mouse unlike with XP. I have to position the mouse on a minimized TB window UNDER the top window to get the list of TB windows to show. Seems to me mouse clicking on the top minimized window should bring up the list of all open TB windows but it doesn't. But aside from that slightly quirky behavior (which might make this unusable for anyone with fine motor problems or poor eyesight) it works fine and is much better than having to deal with those thumbnails popping up.

Thanks! (If you ever have any free time, I'd love to your opinion of the new Dell U2414H. I'm seriously thinking about buying it now even though there are no reviews yet for it).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson