spc
uniqs
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba to tubbynet

MVM

to tubbynet

Re: [Config] Performance due to VLAN, incomplete STP, or loop backs?

I recalled of what my manager in one of my previous workplace tired of listening of their Cisco reseller's new product selling attempts as priority instead of offering technical support or fix to existing product the customer already had

I think these customer needs of having actual support of existing products customers already have drive certain Cisco solution company not to sell products as priority, though such company is usually rare to find or is small in size

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by aryoba:

I recalled of what my manager in one of my previous workplace tired of listening of their Cisco reseller's new product selling attempts as priority instead of offering technical support or fix to existing product the customer already had

aryoba See Profile, you know as well as anyone that i constantly troll these threads providing the most over the top or self-centered answer possible. turn on your bullshit filter when i type something absurd and you'll get where i come from.

that being said -- there are a large number of times when additional hardware spend is warranted. i can't help when a customer jumps from partner to partner and gets sold a bag of shit. if its wrong from a technical perspective -- its wrong and additional hardware is warranted. if a customer is cheap and wants to make a bag of shit into a network, its going to run like a bag of shit. we can try to polish the turd, but its still a turd.

part of being a good architect and engineer is knowing where compromises can be made and how to strategically forecast and plan a customer network and spend cycle to ensure that they meet the overall business and technology goals. this is where i get brought in. i try to be sensitive, especially in breakthrough or difficult accounts -- but i play it straight. shit is shit -- and i can't make it much better.

q.
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba

MVM

One occasion was that there was rich customer, willing to spend $$$$ as necessary. The customer was famous (or rather infamous) of jumping from one consultant to another. The problem was that the customer did not seem to understand what exactly they looked for and never provided clear requirement. Even when you did get a requirement and you provided your best suggestions in return, the customer did not take the suggestion due to the fact that you were just consultant and not an employee.

It was definitely unique customer attitude to work with

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by aryoba:

One occasion was that there was rich customer, willing to spend $$$$ as necessary. The customer was famous (or rather infamous) of jumping from one consultant to another. The problem was that the customer did not seem to understand what exactly they looked for and never provided clear requirement. Even when you did get a requirement and you provided your best suggestions in return, the customer did not take the suggestion due to the fact that you were just consultant and not an employee.

It was definitely unique customer attitude to work with

Arrg I get users like that alot, they say what they think they want but they don't really know.

like a user asking for a big external harddrive because their H drive is full, its only as full as the quota I set shows and I can make it bigger in a few seconds without buying anything.

(that's just one example I've had many more issues like that)

Normally I push them to say what they want to do or what the real problem is

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to aryoba

to aryoba
That's the problem with dealing with "Consultants" and not real engineers.