uniqs

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to bjf123

MVM

to bjf123

Re: [Auto] F1 silly season forf 2014 starts....

Absolutely, michellin did it and so could pirelli. Fia asked them specifically to create tires that would degrade to force pit stops.
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/n ··· -f1.html
quote:
he Italian manufacturer's tyres, in particular the softer compounds, generated large amounts of marbles during 2013, making going off the racing line to overtake less viable for drivers.

"The drivers certainly have commented on it and we can understand it," said Pirelli's motorsport boss Paul Hembery. "So it's something that we are trying to do.
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

Permanent car numbers:
quote:
As AUTOSPORT revealed last month, the item was tabled for discussion for F1's Strategy Group meeting on December 9.

The group and Formula One Commission has approved the change, which becomes effective immediately and will therefore be implemented ahead of the 2014 season.

The FIA gave the Strategy Group and Commission a one-off mandate to impose rule changes at its World Motor Sport Council meeting last week.
Williams trying to make things better:
quote:
Dave Wheater will join the Grove-based squad from Lotus to become head of aerodynamic performance. He will report to head of aerodynamics Jason Somerville.

Shaun Whitehead, who previously worked at Red Bull, joins Williams as head of aerodynamic process. Somerville described the duo as "first class talents."
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

I saved this for its own post as I expect a bit of kvetching...

FIA to give out double points for the last race in 2014:
quote:
The novelty, immediately dismissed by some angry fans as a needless gimmick, was the most eye-catching of several rule changes announced by the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) on Monday.

The FIA said double points would "maximise focus on the championship until the end of the campaign" and had been unanimously approved at a meeting in Paris of teams in the F1 Strategy Group and Formula One Commission.
In other words - we need to find a way to make sure the drivers championship are not decided 4 races from the end of the season.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

bjf123

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

In other words - we need to find a way to make sure the drivers championship are not decided 4 races from the end of the season.

I guess this is easier than making the other cars more competitive. They're taking the permanent car numbers from NASCAR (I know it's really the car and not the driver there). Maybe instead of doubling the points for the last race, they should reset the points for the last five races like NASCAR does for "The Chase" for the Cup? I just don't want to hear the F1 drivers start referring to their cars in the third person by the number. "Yes, David, the #27 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes was working well today."

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

The car owners own the numbers in NASCAR. Childress is allowing 3 to be used again.