how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OldCableGuy

@communications.net
reply to wolfy339

Re: Hypothetical accident caused by third driver

In a rear end collision the vehicle at the back is almost always found at fault. Regardless of why the front vehicle stopped. So even if the vehicle in front just slammed on their breaks to avoid missing the turn, the vehicle behind them should have stopped. IANAL YMMV

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA
In the situation I described in my last post, and I am sorry if I did not make this clear, the turning car got broadsided by the car in the outside lane.

BoulderHill1

join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
Am I to understand that the broadsided car is making a left into the parking lot?

Driver in inside northbound lane has no authority to "wave" southbound driver through. Inside northbound may be just trying to help but this driver can not know or speak for the outside north lane's actions and therefore should not try to direct southbound drivers movements.

Additionally southbound driver should not accept the wave through because they most likely do not have a clear line of sight of outside northbound lane's traffic.

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA
said by BoulderHill1:

Am I to understand that the broadsided car is making a left into the parking lot?

You are correct in your understanding.

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2
reply to OldCableGuy
said by OldCableGuy :

In a rear end collision the vehicle at the back is almost always found at fault. Regardless of why the front vehicle stopped. So even if the vehicle in front just slammed on their breaks to avoid missing the turn, the vehicle behind them should have stopped. IANAL YMMV

That is false, they are not always at fault. If a car in front of you purposely hits the brakes and you hit them, your not always going to be at fault. Like in a road rage situation, the person changes lanes to get right in front of you and slams on their brakes, how is that your fault?
--
No Victim=No Crime

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

said by billydunwood:

said by OldCableGuy :

That is false, they are not always at fault.

Bold added to clarify.

OldCableGuy

@planetcr.net
reply to billydunwood
Yeah that's why I specifically said "ALMOST ALWAYS"

Although good luck proving that the car in front of you cut you off and slammed their breaks. It is your word against theirs, and in those cases I know from personal experience the cops will default to citing the person in the furthest back vehicle.

Now if the front driver says "yeah I got in front of him and slammed my breaks" then sure, the cops will cite the front driver. Anything else, and the cops are going to cite the car in the back.

To repeat: ALMOST ALWAYS, ALMOST ALWAYS

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
Your right about almost always. I didn't read carefully enough
--
No Victim=No Crime