spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Richard8655
join:2013-02-10
Glen Ellyn, IL

Richard8655

Internet only

Anyone using WOW for internet service only? Their cable TV channels are completely uninteresting and you have to buy whatever other channels you don't want in their bundle. The attic antenna gives me all I need.

So with their rates going up in January, seriously considering dropping their TV service altogether. If anyone's doing internet only, were you able to get any discount or annual deal?
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

I see at their site that they're giving a 12 month discount for internet only. But I seriously doubt they'll give anyone who is dropping services a discount.
Richard8655
Glen Ellyn, IL

Richard8655

I saw that too. 15 mbps normally $52 discounted to $30 for new subscribers. Thinking of threatening to leave to get it. But WOW's been pretty prickly lately and sticking to their prices and rate increases.
garfield
join:2011-03-12
Columbus, GA

garfield to Richard8655

to Richard8655
I've been on 'net only for close to 1 & 1/2 years now. Got a matching rate at the start (was going to change providers & drop TV) of $36/month. Few months ago the promo/matching fell off and am paying $51 a month. That is bottom line price. After a few hiccups I've seen consistent speeds of 30/6. I'm down in Columbus GA.
uteck
join:2009-12-30
Elgin, IL

uteck to Richard8655

to Richard8655
I dropped to internet only and got the discount rate without even asking, but it will go up $2 next month. Not sure when my promo price ends, but even though I am not paying for cable I still have basic channels.
curdahee
join:2013-12-04

curdahee to Richard8655

to Richard8655
We cut our cable TV. Don't watch a lot of it anyway, and I don't really miss it. Youtube is working fine for me along with netflix
markm5
join:2013-10-06
Clearwater, FL

markm5 to Richard8655

to Richard8655
They are not WOW's cable channels , they are the same channels as on any other cable system. Cable/sat companies generally are not able to offer ala-carte channels due to the demands of the channel providers the channels are bought from, who insist on selling the channels to cable cos in packages.

The quality of programming has gone down, to appeal to the lowest common denominator and this is the fault of companies like Viacom tht control the channels. They seem to want everything to be watchable to a drooling idiot with an IQ of 70. Sci-fi channel used to actually have good sci-fi programming, then was dumbed down and renamed sy-fy to appeal to retarded idiots.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by markm5:

They are not WOW's cable channels , they are the same channels as on any other cable system. Cable/sat companies generally are not able to offer ala-carte channels due to the demands of the channel providers the channels are bought from, who insist on selling the channels to cable cos in packages.

The quality of programming has gone down, to appeal to the lowest common denominator and this is the fault of companies like Viacom tht control the channels. They seem to want everything to be watchable to a drooling idiot with an IQ of 70. Sci-fi channel used to actually have good sci-fi programming, then was dumbed down and renamed sy-fy to appeal to retarded idiots.

Yes, some channels like SyFy, History, Discovery, TLC among others have really dumbed down much of their programming with reality shows. But others such as AMC, FX and TNT have really upped their game. While comedies on both OTA and cable networks have gone hill. Cable network dramas are significantly better than they were a few years ago. And are better than the typical OTA drama program.
Richard8655
Glen Ellyn, IL

Richard8655 to markm5

to markm5
said by markm5:

Although I agree with much of this, some is not accurate. WOW does control (to some degree) what programming you can get regardless of bundling. For example, a few years ago, WOW dropped the Sundance Channels bundle of high quality movie channels in favor of more dumbed down Encore and Starz channels.

Another example of WOW dumbing down is not providing public TV subchannels that offer more intelligent programming. In my area (Chicago) those are WTTW and WYCC subchannels called Create, Prime, and MHZ (I get them over the air, thankfully). Comcast does offer these subchannels for its customers. WOW also won't provide both Chicago public TV channels in HD (WYCC is low def only).