All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dslhelp50
join:2012-02-21

dslhelp50

Which TP-Link will work with At&T DSL?

Hello, I have AT&T's 3mb dsl and the cruddy 2Wire gateway finally died on me. I've heard nothing but good things about TP-Link products so I was wondering which one should I get that will work with at&t and what I need.

There's so many I'm not sure what to get

»www.tp-link.com/en/

I need somthing like the 2wire gateway (feature wise)
Wirless router/gateway
DLS modem (phone jack)
802.11 n/g/b compatable
At least 1 ethernet port

Thanks for the help in advance!
dslhelp50

dslhelp50

Anybody?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by dslhelp50:

Anybody?

Perhaps nobody wants to go on the public record with a recommendation for a TP-Link product? There is a reason why the SamKnows projects, and the RIPE Atlas project use TP-Link products as free giveaway boxes (aside from their ability to run custom OpenWRT firmware). They are designed to be cheap throwaway devices.

I had to resign from the SamKnows project and ditch their TP-Link router because it was causing too many network lockup problems. The TP-Link box that I am currently using for the RIPE Atlas project has so far not caused me any problems, but it is used as a stand-alone device which only runs the low bandwidth RIPE Atlas tests, and does not pass all of my Internet traffic through it.
dslhelp50
join:2012-02-21

dslhelp50

I had no Idea about all that. Guess I should go for a different brand then.

TheJanitor
join:2013-11-17
Pensacola, FL

TheJanitor to dslhelp50

to dslhelp50
any adsl router with the ability to log in through PPPoE should work. You will have to change 2 settings in it ( unless it is an ATT router). Depending on the region you live in, if you are any where but the old BellSouth areas, you need to change the following

VPI=0
VCI=35

In the old BellSouth areas

VPI=8
VCI=35

Those settings should be in the advanced settings.
Lurker36
join:2013-12-13
US

Lurker36 to NetFixer

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

...use TP-Link products as free giveaway boxes. They are designed to be cheap throwaway devices.

I've been eyeballing the TP-Link products since they've finally started showing up over here. We used them by the case on projects in the Middle East and Asia - and did horrible, horrible things to them (bcuz dey wuz CHEEP!), and they held up pretty well. But, this was relegated to switches and WiFi products. I had been wondering how the robustness/dollar translated to their DSL modem...

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Lurker36:

I've been eyeballing the TP-Link products since they've finally started showing up over here. We used them by the case on projects in the Middle East and Asia - and did horrible, horrible things to them (bcuz dey wuz CHEEP!), and they held up pretty well. But, this was relegated to switches and WiFi products. I had been wondering how the robustness/dollar translated to their DSL modem...

The only experience I have had with TP-Link products has been with the TP-Link routers used by the SamKnows and RIPE Atlas projects. It is entirely possible that the network lockup problems I experienced with the SamKnows box was due to the custom OpenWRT firmware and not to the router itself. I was not necessarily saying that the TP-Link products were junk; only that my experience would not permit me to recommend their use (and I was surmising that similar bad experiences might have been the reason that nobody else had replied to this thread).

Speaking of doing horrible things to them, I did try to install the original TP-Link firmware on the SamKnows WR1043-ND box after I dropped out of that project, because I wanted to see what kind of IPv6 support was available on that device (using either the TP-Link or generic OpenWRT firmware) when used as a router instead of a layer 2 bridge; but that totally bricked the device and made any other evaluation/testing impossible. I later found out that I needed to do a binary edit of the TP-Link firmware file and remove the TP-Link bootloader to prevent the bricking from occurring...but it was already too late.
Lurker36
join:2013-12-13
US

Lurker36

It's been a few years, but IIRC, we were buying the 5port switches for about $5.50, the 8port for about 7.50, and the G WiFi for for $9.

We'd stick these things out in the desert heat, in the rain, whatever - and they just worked.

More than once, we stuck the little 5port in the middle of a 200 or 300 meter run (outdoors), and send 100Mb through them 24/7.

I can't remember ever having any complaints about them, but if we had a problem, it was SOP to trash the unit and put in another.
One of the benefits of a $5 switch...