how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Doc

@myvzw.com

1 recommendation

[Networking] IPv6

Does anyone know why it is practically impossible to get any information out Verizon regarding IPv6 and FIOS? I've tried repeatedly to see if it may start rolling out anytime soon, and what prefix they are going to assign to residential customers. Anyone have any clues?

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

1 recommendation

Heh that's the $20,000 question that nobody seems to know or want to answer.

Doc

@myvzw.com
I give up. I guess I'll just disable IPv6 on my FIOS router, and plan to stick with IPv4 until Gabriel blows his horn.

mloebl

join:2003-01-03
Tyngsboro, MA

1 recommendation

reply to Doc
At some point they updated their FAQ this year, as I think for awhile it still said 2012 if I'm not mistaken:
»www.verizon.com/Support/Resident···8742.htm

Could have been just a find/replace on the date too

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to Doc
Seeing how even Verizon Enterprise networking still doesn't support IPv6, don't hold your breath on Residential getting it anytime soon.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

reply to Doc
I wonder if VZ will be one of the larger ISPs in the US that starts deploying CGN before IPv6.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

2 recommendations

reply to Doc
Odd how one side of the company (wireless) is so forward thinking and doing so well and the other sides (VZB / wired -- DSL/FiOS) is so much epic fail.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to whfsdude
Given how Verizon Wireless is already getting by just fine using CGNAT for most devices and leaving direct IP addressing to "Mobile routers" and LTE devices, I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon will simply go CGNAT long before the IPv6 deployment starts.

They already have a webpage on MyVerizon giving people the option to opt-out of Carrier Grade NAT, so my understanding is, somewhere this could already be a thing.

Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

said by Smith6612:

Given how Verizon Wireless is already getting by just fine using CGNAT for most devices and leaving direct IP addressing to "Mobile routers" and LTE devices, I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon will simply go CGNAT long before the IPv6 deployment starts.

They already have a webpage on MyVerizon giving people the option to opt-out of Carrier Grade NAT, so my understanding is, somewhere this could already be a thing.

Rolling out CGNAT does not allow customers to access v6 content. Anyway, so much for that awesome network they're always on about.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
said by 34764170:

said by Smith6612:

Rolling out CGNAT does not allow customers to access v6 content. Anyway, so much for that awesome network they're always on about.

Darn right.

All of you who use Verzion Landline Services (DSL and FIOS), should put a lot of pressure on them to get with it /get this ball moving....
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

McBane

Plano, TX

2 recommendations

CGN is such a joke. It's the "I fail" button for ISPs, wireless excluded.

Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

said by McBane:

Wireless isn't excluded. There isn't unlimited IPv4 address space. This is one of the biggest reasons IPv6 exists in the first place. NAT (PAT) only exists in the common usage scenario because IPv4 wasn't designed properly in the first place.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to Smith6612
said by Smith6612:

I've look at myVerizon and could not see the option to opt-out of CGNAT. Can you please post the URL? Thanks.

McBane

Plano, TX

1 recommendation

reply to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by McBane:

Wireless isn't excluded. There isn't unlimited IPv4 address space. This is one of the biggest reasons IPv6 exists in the first place. NAT (PAT) only exists in the common usage scenario because IPv4 wasn't designed properly in the first place.

True, true. With the infinite number of IPv6 addresses it should be mandatory.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

2 recommendations

reply to bluepoint
said by bluepoint:

said by Smith6612:

I've look at myVerizon and could not see the option to opt-out of CGNAT. Can you please post the URL? Thanks.

»www22.verizon.com/support/reside···3897.htm
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
Your link sent me to a DSL support, is it the same as FIOS's? Is there a specific section I should go to? I looked around and can't find any about CGNAT. Should I go to my eye doctor?

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

2 recommendations

I believe they are only doing Carrier Grade NAT on DSL if I remember the announcement correctly. I can't get the page to show anything at the moment.

Doc

@verizon.net

1 recommendation

reply to cramer
@Cramer: I hear you. If I held my breath, I'd be bluer that Leanne Rimes. I would actually be content if VZ just provided some useful information. Such as, do they think it will be next year, 2015, sometime this century?. Also it would be helpful for folks like me if they would let us know what prefix they are planning to assign residential users. I find it hard to believe that they haven't decided that at this juncture. Oh well, I guess I'll just drive on with 4 until my contract is up and if they haven't provided any useful information regarding 6, I'll look into what the other ISP's are doing.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17

1 recommendation

/56.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
said by nycdave:

/56.

Native or 6rd?

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
No further details at this time.

Doc

@verizon.net
reply to nycdave
@nycdave Thank you for your reply. If I understand your reply properly, you are saying that FIOS residential customers will received a /56 prefix. Is that correct?

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
reply to Doc
/64 or /60 based on what every other idiot is doing. (even Comcast who said /56 and /48 are now handing out /60's.) Until they start providing IPv6, there's no point in asking -- they can claim anything they wish.

PA23

join:2001-12-12
East Hanover, NJ
reply to Doc
I thought /64 was the smallest "recommended" assignment, Hurricane Electric which will provide a 6-in-4 tunnel will provide a 64 on the tunnel interface and then another /64 or /48 depending upon what you request
--
It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
/64 is the minimum lan prefix where SLAAC (address autoconfig) will function. (one does not have to use SLAAC)

Doc

@myvzw.com
reply to cramer
A /60 would suit me just fine since that would provide me with 16 subnets. I don't have quite that many right now. So, a /60 would work for me. A /64 however, would be problematic for me.

dfwguy

join:2013-10-24
Only problematic if you're too lazy to set up a DHCP server. A /64 is large enough to give every possible IEEE 802 network device (ethernet, wifi, Bluetooth, etc.) on the planet a unique address, 65536 times over. If you have a need for separate subnets, then divide up your /64 into /80s or something.

Doc

@myvzw.com
Where I see a potential issue is where VZ dynamically assigns /64 address to the outside interface. If I then attempt to assign say a /80 to the inside interface, there is a network overlap between the /64 and the /80.

dfwguy

join:2013-10-24
reply to Doc
I'm not familiar with how Comcast or other ISPs that have native IPv6 are doing it. Do they ever actually change the network assigned to given user? Seems like a real pain in the ass to force every device to pick up the new network when you can just give each region a /36 and have a couple hundred million /64s to hand out. Taking Comcast as an example, they have 2001:558::/29, which would give them 128 possible networks with 268,435,456 possible subscribers in each with each subscriber getting 18 quintillion addresses. Or however they want to divide it up. Subtract a /64 in each for internal routing and skip dynamic addresses.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to cramer
said by cramer:

(one does not have to use SLAAC)

Not really true especially with OS's without DHCPv6 support. Either way there isn't any excuse for not assigning something more than a /64.