Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to f0rtys3ven

Premium Member

to f0rtys3ven

Re: [Game] Riot tells pro LoL players they can't stream competing games

said by f0rtys3ven:

Breaking news is broken in this country.

Edits Updates Revisions Changes - These are not the synonyms you are looking for.

Look dude, you sound like a paid Riot schill here. onGamers got a story, and Riot declined comment prior to release.

Once it was published, and once the subsequent shitstorm hit the fan in the community, then Riot was forced to come out and defend their move. Which was actually a lot worse than initially indicated.

To quote Slashered on Reddit:

As the author of this article I wanted to clarify and update since there's been a misleading title attached to it.

I have added an additional part of the contract (in text) and have confirmed with team and player representatives that the LCS players are not allowed to stream the games outright, no matter if it is next to a LoL stream or not.

Added update to the article:

"Under Section 3 Rule 4 of the new contract handling 'Non-League Events and Streaming', it states that "... the [LCS] Team shall ensure that, during the Term of this Agreement, its Team Members do not publicly stream gameplay of the titles set forth on Exhibit B". Exhibit B states "the specific restrictions on streaming are set forth in the Sponsorship and Streaming Restricted List, as updated by the League from time to time", which is listed below"

Diamond opening Hearthstone on stream just to break the rules: »i.imgur.com/5BtJCj3.jpg
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

A lot of people in the Reddit thread are saying "Totalbiscuit was right." I can't see it at work, but apparently TB went on a rant at some point in the past about Riot having too much power over their pro players, given that Riot advertises itself as E-sports ("We Are Gamers, We Are Esports") and they are making a move to minimize the popularity of other pro gaming scenes so League continues to dominate. That has everything to do with enhancing Riot's bottom line, and nothing to do with being "pro gaming."

While it's technically legal, it's a scumbag move made in the interest of profits, not "professionalizing the E-Sports scene."

Apparently they are also silently removing "featured LoL streamers" if those people also stream other games. While no contract is signed for something like that, it's just further proof that Riot is not the "for the gamer" company it once may have been, and is instead motivated simply by profit and brand growth.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Guys I receive monthly checks from Riot to promote League of Legends here on DSLR.

I thought that was obvious. Maybe you are losing your senses in your old age KrisN.

* This was all said with a white Russian in hand *
f0rtys3ven

to Krisnatharok
^ Said light heartedly. The post before that had a star wars reference again spoken like whipped cream.

All moves are made with the interest of profit.

I don't understand how this isn't understood by everyone in this country when it is so painstakingly obvious.

"Professionalizing the E-Sports Scene" is equivalent to "Preparing E-Sports to be actual sports profitable" I don't know how it can be read any different. At this point Riot isn't making NFL or even a single NFL teams money but they are building the infrastructure to get there. Why be pissed they are trying to take what we like to do for fun and make it a national past time?

Are we pissed its League? Are we pissed its not us being paid? Are we really pissed we won't get to watch OddOne play Hearthstone? Are we mad Riot is handing our rules to the people they pay?

I don't understand the aggression/fuel for the fire its mind boggling to me.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Totalbiscuit video:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· oA6hXE8E

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

On an unrelated note... Jobbie, you should totally do videos like Totalbiscuit or AngryJoe... with that sexy voice of yours, you'd have a following of millions in no time.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

I agree with this comment 10000%

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
said by ekster:

On an unrelated note... Jobbie, you should totally do videos like Totalbiscuit or AngryJoe... with that sexy voice of yours, you'd have a following of millions in no time.

Jobbie aint' jokin when he says he's from Mexico.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

When I started playing online games and my english sucked (more than now) people thought I was french, later when I started playing with the DSLR folks Antonica for some reason thought I was from Morocco(???). Fun times.

I always wanted to start streaming and doing youtube stuff maybe should be a project for 2014.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok to f0rtys3ven

Premium Member

to f0rtys3ven
lol, no offense taken, man. It just seemed like you were more upset with how this was reported, instead of the fact that Riot is making a really scummy move, in the purported name of E-Sports, but one that will benefit only Riot, and hurt every other game that has a place at the E-Sports table.

Given their "We Are Gamers" mantra, it is really infuriating to the fan base. There is now talk of a Players Association or pro gamers union to act as a unified front against Riot. Think about that. At least some are saying there is an identified need to protect the (pro) players FROM Riot.

A good counter example was Valve--they have a $2+ million tournament and many, many DOTA 2 events throughout the year (which have snagged 4 of the top 10 highest earnings from e-sports).

But Valve (and Blizzard) do not create these type of rules, they simply create give the players the tools to host these tournaments and don't particularly care that the "pro gamers" might be playing other games.

It seems like Riot is scared of the competition, and wants the whole E-Sports profit pot to themselves. Riot wants to be E-Sports, and push Valve and Blizzard away from the table. It's like they think E-Sports is a zero-sum game with no possibility of market growth.

Imagine if those three companies had banded together to found an E-Sports franchise with teams (sometimes the same people) competing in LoL, DOTA 2, CS, Blizz All-Stars, etc. The press coverage would have been exponentially more than a simple Riot tournament.

But no. This move is being heard loud and clear by gamers that Riot is now in it for their bottom line, even at the expense of the gaming scene as a whole. Very well then.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

I like what you are saying.

/approve

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven to Jobbie

to Jobbie
I think he has some ok points.

His reasons why its bad is follows:

- Only helps Riot doesn't help E-Sports as a whole
- Shows lack of respect for Pro Players as their own personality
- Regulates the streaming industry which has been unregulated to date
- Inconsistent game choices are confusing
- Is too much like regular sports thinking

Personally the only point I have an issue with is the lack of respect for Pro Players. If the players aren't happy they can work with their teams and the other teams in the industry to change it. TSM, CLG, CURSE, and Dignitas could most definitely pool their influence and say this is crap and it would most likely make a difference. They aren't doing this because monetary reward with dealing with this is worth it. Theres a reason Jerry Jones owns the Cowboys and spent a billion on a stadium.

Also I don't think this is Riot saying we own you or we built your brands. I feel like its much more symbiotic than that. Hey we would like you guys to quit playing other really popular games on these huge streams. How about we expand challenger by a big amount and pay you more to not play those other games. Is that cool? How many people say no I don't want more money?

The rest of them become overshadowed by the hopes of sports like profit. The profits professional sports make is pretty astronomical and little things like niceties will be left by the wayside for the possibility of achieving them.
f0rtys3ven

to Krisnatharok
I guess I am saying they are going bigger than that. They don't wanna compete with Blizzard and valve they have already won there. They want it to be LCS, NFL, MLB, NBA. They want the big bucks now that they beat out the other software companies. They are going for broke and it will either work or blow up but if it works I think it might be kinda cool to have as extensive a front end as football has.

Like local LoL teams head to state championships that lead into LCS bid tournys. Might be kinda cool to see it that big ya know.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by f0rtys3ven:

I guess I am saying they are going bigger than that. They don't wanna compete with Blizzard and valve they have already won there. They want it to be LCS, NFL, MLB, NBA. They want the big bucks now that they beat out the other software companies. They are going for broke and it will either work or blow up but if it works I think it might be kinda cool to have as extensive a front end as football has.

Like local LoL teams head to state championships that lead into LCS bid tournys. Might be kinda cool to see it that big ya know.

I agree with what their vision is, but would like to point out the fact that at some point a Riot executive made a decision that would fuck over the rest of the PC gaming community. Riot perhaps thinks it is much bigger than it absolutely is--it is still a PC gaming E-Sport (not even consoles are included here), and they have gotten a taste of the limelight and are distancing themselves from their roots to get more. They don't mind hurting pro PC gaming as a whole to get what they want.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

I agree with what you are saying but I also don't believe anyone else is even close. I think the West is begging a software company to do it at this scale. That company just happens to be here in the states.

I truly believe Korea, China and the west will facilitate this if we like it or not. They don't have the NFL. This is going to be their NFL and we may get it just because they are going so hard at it.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I like how their reaction was to guarantee their bottom line and screw the rest of the community instead of going to Valve and Blizz and saying "we've created this product with immense popularity on the pro scene, we'd like to bring your products into the fold for the benefit of PC gaming as a whole."

Yeah, "We Are Gamers" my ass.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Blizz and Valve came first to the scene and could have pushed as hard as Riot has they just didn't. I see what Riots doing as more gamble than beaten path and I think the other companies may not wanna front the cost of such infrastructure on software that could be obsolete in 3 years like you said.

Also, what you are asking doesn't happen in America between direct competitors in any industry. Apple hates microsoft. Coca cola employees don't drink pepsi. Etc.

Advertising is advertising man its all lies.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Jobbie

Premium Member

to Jobbie
I keep hearing about this famous voice of yours, imma have to make time to go play online just so I can hear it.

And then unfortunately everyone will find out just how bad I actually am at gaming.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

hahaha They are just making fun of my accent and you are more than welcome to join us on Skype whenever you want, we play a different games on the same room so sometimes is total chaos.

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5

said by Jobbie:

hahaha They are just making fun of my accent

Thank God I don't play with you guys, my camp English accent would get ripped to the max.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

Maybe the first couple times, but Jobbie really does have a sultry voice. I think his voice could turn a few regular members gay for him if he wanted them.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

I am already on the waiting list!

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5 to Goggalor

to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

Maybe the first couple times, but Jobbie really does have a sultry voice. I think his voice could turn a few regular members gay for him if he wanted them.

What an awesome super power that would be.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to Goggalor

Premium Member

to Goggalor
What Gogg said. I could never make fun of Jobbie's voice... After a few nights, I can just read his posts imagining it in his sultry deep voice like some people read a text with Morgan Freeman's picture on it.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

His depressed we suck at league tonight "come on guys" is literally ingrained into my mind lol.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

1 recommendation

Jobbie

Premium Member

LOL you guys are full of it.

I love you all.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
said by ekster:

I think Jobbie would be a good commentator. I think if I had:

More free time
Video editing skills
No kids

I would have probably had my own youtube channel and live stream.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Jobbie needs to do his own rendition of Samuel L. Jackson's "Go the fuck to sleep." Maybe with a narco twist.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Jobbie needs to do his own rendition of Samuel L. Jackson's "Go the fuck to sleep." Maybe with a narco twist.

Saving this for the weekend.
Jobbie

3 recommendations

Jobbie to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

I keep hearing about this famous voice of yours, imma have to make time to go play online just so I can hear it.

And then unfortunately everyone will find out just how bad I actually am at gaming.

Check this out:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· xCZ4AGr0