share rss forum feed

Dr Tweak

join:2004-09-23
Chesapeake, VA

6 recommendations

reply to Mele20

Re: A Tale of Two Browsers: Chrome v. Chromium

said by Mele20:

I have never used Chrome but what I have read is that it is impossible to stop auto updating

As for Chrome,this inability to turn off auto updating of Chrome is why Iron came to be. I certainly don't see how the methods you have mentioned would work.... I doubt if it has a service that does the updating that can be disabled in Services since Google wishes to be evil with Chrome so they have done everything they can to stop a user from having any privacy. Again, this is why Iron was created. I can stop IE 10 from auto updating Flash but I read that is impossible to do with Chrome because Chrome is designed to strip all privacy from the users.

Stop spreading FUD, if you don't know something don't state it as fact, just because you read it somewhere doesn't mean it's true. Google's auto update can easily be disabled but why not have the latest security updates? That's the whole point of auto updates. SWare Iron was not created because of the auto-update feature, it was created for better privacy. If you want privacy then stay off the internet, you are tracked by your ISP, search engines, browser, websites, operating system and the list goes on. What privacy are you looking for? Seriously, the tin foil hat routine is old, everyone is not out to get you or even care what you are doing. Better stop posting here because I can read your profile and see who your ISP is, I know all the programs you use because you post about them all the time and I know where you live because you post it........ but you are worried about privacy?

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
said by Dr Tweak:

Google's auto update can easily be disabled

Don't you think a link to some instructions would be appropriate here?

said by Dr Tweak:

If you want privacy then stay off the internet, you are tracked by your ISP, ...

Please stop spreading FUD. If Google does it, it doesn't mean that my ISP does it too
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Dr Tweak

Chesapeake, VA

1 recommendation

said by OZO:

Don't you think a link to some instructions would be appropriate here?

Already gave them.....

said by Dr Tweak:

Mmmm, easy to turn off, can be done by the task scheduler, services or simply with Microsoft's Autoruns....

OZO
Premium
It's like a suggestion - "use your computer to stop it"...
Do you know how to do it with the browser itself?
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Dr Tweak
Iron was created for privacy. What the heck do you think privacy is on the internet? You have ZERO idea what privacy is if you can claim that auto updating does not affect privacy. Geez....you are the one who should stop spreading FUD.

What does auto updating have to do with getting the latest security updates? NOTHING. Autoupdating was created to invade privacy with the FUD being spread that it would make using a computer simple. Yeah, it does that at the expense of the user's privacy. It was designed to lure lazy Windows users who refuse to take responsibility and learn how to use a Windows computer properly and safely. It was and is an Apple approach to computer security with a walled garden totally controlled by Microsoft as the goal. That goal is being realized today with Windows 8 but there is still the ability, albeit with some difficulty, to resist the Microsoft walled garden. But you seem to think everyone is crazy if they resist Microsoft's, Google's, etc attempts to destroy any privacy they have. Windows 8.1 was released to further force users into a walled garden and to prepare them for Windows itself becoming a cloud only monthly rental product.

I have the latest security updates for my browsers and for Windows 8. I keep Windows Updates disabled in Services. I do not use Windows Updates since 2004. I take the Microsoft Security Bulletin email service (and a bunch of Microsoft newsletters). I use Microsoft download center each month to manually download to disk each patch. I then do not stupidly install all patches at once. I am not interested in a hang that may not resolve itself. I enable Windows Update Service only long enough to install 2-4 patches at a time then I disable it again and I used the computer for awhile so that if there is a problem with a patch I can identify which patch quickly. Plus, I like to know when then are going to take place. I hate rudeness of Microsoft or browsers or mail clients, etc suddenly deciding to update right then and require a disruption in whatever I am doing and a reboot that may hang Windows for 15-30 minutes (had that happen twice recently on Win 8) or maybe many hours if I am unlucky jand require booting to SafeMode which is difficult on Windows 8 unless one has fixed it with trparky See Profile method so that when I boot now I have a choice on my screen of boot to safe mode (this is essential to have) . After I manually install Windows patches, I use Belarc Advisor to see if I missed any. Some minor ones I choose to not install if they are reported as problematic (this, of course, is after I have researched each patch).

As for Flash and Java, again, I read the Security forum here several times DAILY and have since I joined this site in 2001. The reason I joined this site was for the Security forum. So, I know when there is a new Flash or Java version. I don't even allow IE 10 with builtin flash to update it from Windows Update. I download the latest Flash for IE 10 Windows 8 64 and 32 bit via Microsoft download center and manually install it. It not necessary to have all patches either. My XP Pro computer runs Service Pack 2 BY CHOICE. I didn't like some changes in SP 3 when it was released and I tried it on one of my virtual machines so I reverted that machine and never installed it at all on my host machine. I have ProcessGuard on that machine to protect it and to afford me proper control over programs and even Windows.

It's laughable that you claim to know all the programs I use and even more laughable that you think you know anything truly important about me. Besides, you are not Google or Microsoft or Facebook or Twitter so even if you did know something about me that has little to do with my privacy on the Internet. I don't think you understand about privacy on the net.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Dr Tweak

Chesapeake, VA

5 recommendations

I don't even know what to say except that your sheer ignorance is astounding.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to Mele20
You don't know how to prevent unscheduled updates without disabling the WU service?

Also, stop spreading FUD.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

OZO
Premium
I think you've been long enough in this forum to know that some windows updates don't honor user settings and install themselves anyway. We've already discussed it here. The only solution, if you want to protect it from happening, is to disable WU service...
--
Expand your moderator at work