DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

1 recommendation

DownTheShore

Premium Member

He's asking a lot of very good questions. I'll be interested in the answers - if he gets them.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

OZO to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Rushing to implement new and completely un-tested technology car manufacturers should be reminded (and ASAP) what danger it could bring to car owners (and people around) if it's used without special care for security. Glad to hear that at least one senator (U.S. Senator Ed Markey) got it right. I really wish him luck in this endeavor...

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

Blackbird to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
My cynicism dictates this comment: the good Senator will never get any meaningful answers at least until after the first catastrophe has occurred and a class-action lawsuit has been initiated by the victims. It's merely the primary (sad) reality of security - the 'security' barn-doors never get closed until after the prize heffer has exited the barn.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

1 recommendation

DownTheShore

Premium Member

Or until someone not with the police uses this:

A British company has demonstrated a prototype device capable of stopping cars and other vehicles using a blast of electromagnetic waves.

The RF Safe-Stop uses radio frequency pulses to "confuse" a vehicle's electronic systems, cutting its engine.

»www.bbc.co.uk/news/techn ··· 25197786
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

OZO

Premium Member

If it could be abused, it will be abused! I have to doubt about it...

No one, including police or any other agencies, should have access to control of running vehicle. I understand that in some cases it may make easier to do a police work. But even though and at the same time it could be very dangerous. And I repeat myself again here - dangerous not only for the owner of the vehicle, but for the surrounding people... Not everything that makes police job easier should be allowed. I think everyone may name a lot of examples, proving that.

I guess car manufacturers in pursue of a new money don't thing about it... But later on it will be difficult to stop it.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

Link Logger to antdude

MVM

to antdude
I'd feel a whole lot better if a US Senator would quit referring to brakes as 'breaks', must be a southern thing or something.

You know Charlie Miller is a security super hero and deserves many kudos for the work he does. The reality is your car has become a highly computerized RF storm rolling down the road and the sad fact is, it needs to be as efficiency demands it. Consumer demands for improved mileage, convenience, etc is a huge motivator for sales in the automotive industry and just like anywhere else, security isn't worth much, so we get what we ask for and or are willing to pay for and security takes its place at the bottom of the priority list. Sometimes its just as simple as we don't think some stuff through very far, sure its a solution, but often its an open ended solution which opens the door for loads of abuses. Sometimes its as simple as consumer education (if that is even possible), so they understand why some things are the way they are and what the up and down sides are.

Its no secret that I love RF and so I'm loving cars etc more and more all the time.

Blake