uniqs

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

DHS Security audit finds vulnerabilities

... A report Monday from the DHS inspector general reiterated that the agency for months failed to patch its systems regularly against known cybersecurity threats or scan its networks consistently, in real time, to keep out digital malefactors.

Some at DHS even had been using an old, soon-to-be unsupported version of Microsoft Windows, ...

Source:
»www.politico.com/story/2 ··· 554.html

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

All of the security that is being used in Washington is really giving me warm chills up and down my spine! (sarcasm, of course) We complained how typical users had no idea of how to manage their computers just a number of years ago, normal, every day users. Cybersecurity is, and always has been, just as important for DHS etal. We had no idea of the depth of this same complaint in our own Washington Depts., etc.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

quote:
... Some at DHS even had been using an old, soon-to-be unsupported version of Microsoft Windows, ...

Source:
»www.politico.com/story/2 ··· 554.html

Since when does "soon-to-be-unsupported version of Microsoft Windows" itself constitute a security vulnerability problem (assuming the current support patches are implemented, just as for any Windows version)?

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

Since when does "soon-to-be-unsupported version of Microsoft Windows" itself constitute a security vulnerability problem (assuming the current support patches are implemented, just as for any Windows version)?

I'd guess that they may have applications that won't work on newer Windows versions, and that the time frame left to convert may be too short.

I know there were even some Windows 2000 in some DHS installations as recently as last year.

It may be DHS, but the people who are 'boots on the ground' still endure government bureaucracy. Budget and approval processes are basically what they were ten years ago, even worse with cuts and 'sequestration'.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy

Premium Member

said by EGeezer:

I'd guess that they may have applications that won't work on newer Windows versions,...

That's what I had in mind.
Probably some version of DonkeyKong that's optimized for XP