Search similar:

uniqs
chugger93
join:2005-10-06
Macomb, MI

chugger93

[Info] Cisco Router Recommendation Home

Hi Everyone,

I want to learn Cisco and thinking of getting an 1841 off ebay. However most of them come with T1/DSU WIC cards which wont help me given I have a cable connection.

Can I get an ole 1ENET WIC card and pop it in there and have it work with my comcast cable connection?

Thanks in advance!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

It already has 2 ethernet interfaces, IMO just consider the T1 extra

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

1 edit

TomS_ to chugger93

MVM

to chugger93
If you want more ethernet ports, grab an 1811 instead. It has two routeable Fast Ethernet ports, and a built in 8 port Fast Ethernet switch.

There is also a model with a built in wireless AP as well if thats your fancy.

If youre looking for more future proof, grab something like a 2821. Its 2RU, and has fans, but its quieter than a 2801 or 2811. It also has the benefit of:

* 2 onboard Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
* More HWIC slots
* NM slots
* AIM slots
* PVDM slots
* Supports voice modules

So you have the ability to play with voice later on. It will also have greater performance.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

you mean like this
»www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-1 ··· 8387576b

an 1811w
not sure if the W is worth the cost over the non-W, personally I like a separate AP
chugger93
Macomb, MI

chugger93

oh so the built in Ethernet ports will work just fine?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Ya they're 10/100
you likely wouldn't want a 1ENET WIC as that is only a 10base-T vs a 10/100

and ya the 2 FE ports on board are each routed interfaces so you'd be good unless you need gig and for gig you'd need an HWIC-1GE-SFP w/ the right SFP.

the 2800 that Tom mentioned would get you some gig interfaces without needing a module.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

Also, the WIC-1ENET is designed for the 1700 series ONLY. It cannot work in any other device.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Odd didn't think they made wic's that couldn't be used in a newer router.

Then again why would they keep support for a 10base-T interface? what you want copper at 500ft? Just because 10base-T uses a slightly higher voltage than 100 or gig.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

It's only a WIC in form. It's a freaky little PQUICC(?) ethernet interface design to interface with the processor high-speed serial bus. Other platforms don't have that bus. Some platforms recognize it's PROM id. (and proceeds to laugh at you.)
chugger93
Macomb, MI

chugger93

OK...so my connection is 30mb down. So the 10/100 interface should be fine..and the series I'm thinking about getting right? Throughput wise?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer
said by cramer:

It's only a WIC in form. It's a freaky little PQUICC(?) ethernet interface design to interface with the processor high-speed serial bus. Other platforms don't have that bus. Some platforms recognize it's PROM id. (and proceeds to laugh at you.)

wow how odd and "special" of it
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to chugger93

MVM

to chugger93
2nd the 1811 or 1812 models handidly... with or without wireless, whatever tickles your fancy.
Just make sure to buy a stick of DDR2100 SODIMM RAM and a bigger CompactFlash card if you go that route.

As for performance of this puppy, does this convince you of its merits, OP ?

Regards
chugger93
Macomb, MI

chugger93

Thanks guys!! Also...I just talked to a guy on craigslist over email who says he has Cisco gear such as 2620, 2610xm, 2620xm, 2650xm as well as 2621xm routers he is selling. All with two Ethernet interfaces.

He says i will need a card for my cable connection. Who's right and who's wrong between u guys and this guy. Claims he's been selling Cisco gear for 10 years.
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

26xx are really really EOL. I wouldn't use one unless I needed to troubleshoot a specific issue that only affects that platform. 18xx or 28xx is the way to go. In my humble opinion of course...
chugger93
Macomb, MI

1 edit

chugger93

So 1841's arnt EOF? So those must be newer than 26xx? I really wish there was an easy way to get brought up to speed quicker lol.

How old are the 1841's and is it newer IOS that I could be learning? I guess I could just try googling that.

oh and as far as a 2821
»www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-2 ··· 39c0b900

That just seems ginormous for me to start to learn on...lol
chugger93

chugger93 to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE
What does the extra size of the CF do for me? Also, would it be your traditional laptop RAM?
»www.ebay.com/sch/i.html? ··· from=R40
?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to chugger93

Premium Member

to chugger93
the current gen is the x9xx (IE 2921)
but that'd likely bust your budget
last gen is the x8xx (IE 2821)
before that AFAIK was the 2621XM
before that was 2621

if you have a cable modem then you just need an Ethernet interface to connect, though a HWIC-CABLE-D-2 would be cool to mess with they haven't made a D3 version

a 2621 has 2 ethernet interfaces a 2620 only has one.

I'd say for home use the 2821 you'd looking at would be great (I'd only get a current gen if you won the lotto or are a business)

a quick comparison, a 3945e is the current 3x45 router, and costs about $30,000 vs a 3845 which I just bought for about $300.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_ to chugger93

MVM

to chugger93
ISR G1 will run IOS 15, and without any of the silly license restrictions that the ISR G2 series will have, so youre only missing out on the latest hardware.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to chugger93

MVM

to chugger93
said by chugger93:

He says i will need a card for my cable connection.

Is he perchance referring to this, maybe? You'd ONLY need this WIC card if the ISP wasn't supplying you a DOCSIS cable modem (with router / wireless combo) already.

Age-wise, does this guide kinda help?

- 17xx -> 18xx -> 19xx series router
- 26xx -> 28xx -> 29xx series router
- 37xx -> 38xx -> 39xx series router

- 2600s were EOL 05/Nov/2002
- 1841 were EOL 1/Nov/2010
- 2600XMs were EOL 31/Aug/2012

Otherwise, I can't second enough that the entire 2600-chassis, whether XM or non-XM are VERY long in tooth.
To give you an idea, take a look at this CPU chart, or look
up routerperformance.pdf on your searchengine of choice. Short ver, for 30Mb internet, ANY 2600-series
router is pretty much a waste of money.
said by chugger93:

What does the extra size of the CF do for me? Also, would it be your traditional laptop RAM?

The bigger CF allows a larger IOS image to be loaded... plus have space left over for things like IPS images,
voice software, etc. Yes it's laptop ram, for more detailed RAM info, look at this forum FAQ item

Regards

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by HELLFIRE:

Is he perchance referring to this, maybe?

I wouldn't get that as its only Docsis 2 not 3 and for the cost I saw last time on e-bay you could get a SB6141 for less.

though admittedly I am considering it but just for fun not to put my internet service through (D2 maxes at 38mbps and my 50/10 service would peg it and then leave me not even getting 38 because that channel would be in use by others)

anyone happen to know what kinda data I could monitor off that HWIC? could I see the RF stats via SNMP if I put it in my router? (even if so I'd only slightly consider it because then I'd want more so I could do something with the termed ports on the splitter that's only there to weaken my downstream.)
HELLFIRE
MVM

1 edit

HELLFIRE to chugger93

MVM

to chugger93
said by DarkLogix:

anyone happen to know what kinda data I could monitor off that HWIC? could I see the RF stats via SNMP if I put it in my router?

Ya got me... Cisco claims monitoring via standards like SNMP, netflow, etc., but an actual GUIDE to configure,
or basic show commands I haven't come across.

One other "gotcha" about this cable WIC card OP... if it isn't supported by your ISP, you're going to be
SOL in terms of any sort of support. I also strongly suspect that the ISP wouldn't even help you out
to make sure it's syncing, etc.

Caveat emptor

Regards

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well I'd only be interested in if RF stats are visible via SNMP.

from some googleing "sh controllers" and "sh int blabla" didn't look to show that data, though I might have missed it, or it was slightly the wrong show.

setting up SNMP would likely be easy, I'd just point PRTG at my router (as it is already) and then pick the HWIC from the interfaces.

but my guess is RF stats might be an odd ball MIB so might have to be added custom (could be wrong of course)

ether way other than for play I wouldn't get that HWIC (though I want cisco to release a D3 version, but 3.1 is on the horizon so its looking like a no) (so IF I really wanted to have a cisco device that could connect to comcast's D3 system I'd have to look to a unit likely far beyond my price range. like a Cisco CMTS, lol and just imagine trying to make that work as a cable modem vs what it normally does)
chugger93
Macomb, MI

chugger93

Thanks everyone! My goal is just to learn the CLI. Right now my firewall is astaro and sits on a tower server. I love astaro..I can monitor the firewall and literally see every TCP packet I want too. I'm worried going with Cisco I'll miss that.

Which begs the other question. Should I put an 1841 in front of the as taro firewall or behind it. Sure..I'm introducing an extra hop into my outbound internet connection...but it'll be good to learn since I'm a sys/net admin anyways.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

can the astaro do some sort of transparent mode?

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium Member
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA

scrummie02

Premium Member

I don't know if it does. Linux IPTables will but I'm not sure if Astaro has that capability in the web interface.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I'd lean towards wanting the following setup
cable modem then firewall in transparent mode, then cisco router.

that way the only load the firewall sees on its filtering interfaces is wan and not your lan traffic
chugger93
Macomb, MI

chugger93

Ya it does transparent mode. Its my UTM actually. Has web filtering, IPS/IDS, email filtering, spam, pretty much everything. I can open a live view under the GUI and watch all packets that hit my firewall or go outbound. That's why I almost wanna keep it for a firewall and use the Cisco for extra security I guess...dunno exactly.

Good thought darklogic in the filtering part on the wan side.
chugger93

chugger93

»m.ebay.com/itm/380786527 ··· CH&sbk=1

Does this one look OK to get?

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

The fact they dont give a "show version" means it could be a wild card.

Otherwise its cheap enough, and the seller seems to have a good reputation, so it's at least worth a shot.

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium Member
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA

scrummie02 to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
OpenBSD has a good layer2 bridging capabilities. There is good docs out there on it for sure.