Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

warlock56
Premium
join:2002-07-31
Arlington, TX

Colder weather = lower modulation?

So here in my area the temperature has gotten down to the freezing point. I noticed here today that my upstream is now QPSK and 16QAM on all channels, whereas before all upstream was capable of 64QAM.

I know that in order to achieve higher modulations the line has to be in good shape. Could this be an indication that part of my line from the tap might not be so great, or could it just be something else down the line from me? My line, from the demarc to the modem, is brand new RG6. I have very easy access to the RG6 from the tap to my demarc and could also easily replace it myself.
--
The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. -John Adams, 1787

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

same here! my modem dropped to QAM16 on all four upstreams. Looks like TWC is going to have to fix the plant in our areas. also what is your closest intersection? mine is Collins and Mayfield.

DLow

join:2013-11-16
USA
reply to warlock56

Yes change in temperatures can affect your signals.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to warlock56

Lower temperature normally improves signal strength so while I guess it is possible that the cold has caused a problem, in most cases it actually helps. It is the summer months with high heat when amplification needs to be increased that temperature normally can have a negative effect.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to warlock56

While temp does affect signals it should not change modulation. However, change in modulation does not mean anything unless your not getting your advertised speeds or packet loss is included with it, there is no guarantee anywhere in any cable company about what type of channels they will provide you so they may just be trying a new system out or re-spacing things at the the cmts and this is all temp or it may be indicative of a signal issue what are your return levels and have you tried power cycling the modem yet to see if its a issue with the modems web page only?

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to TheWiseGuy

said by TheWiseGuy:

Lower temperature normally improves signal strength so while I guess it is possible that the cold has caused a problem, in most cases it actually helps. It is the summer months with high heat when amplification needs to be increased that temperature normally can have a negative effect.

oddly enough ive always had oppisite problem my service never has outages in summer but winter i get a service outage atlleast weekly