spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SteelersFan
join:2001-02-12
Rockwall, TX

SteelersFan

Azio 8-port switch cycling

We had a power outage and for some reason my network server computer is no longer connecting to the wired connection. I went into the attic and noticed my 8-port Azio switch is now continually cycling from 8 to 1 without syncing any of the ports. I unplugged and plugged back in, but it continues to recycle. Is the switch dead? The thing was only $12 so I'm not overly concerned about replacing, but was curious as to this being the culprit.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Either the switch or power adapter is shot. Since it was only $12, I would just replace it.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to SteelersFan

MVM

to SteelersFan
The manual mention anything about what the LEDs mean?

Regards

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank to billaustin

Premium Member

to billaustin
Agree with billaustion, but I lean towards the power supply.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

1 recommendation

tomdlgns to SteelersFan

Premium Member

to SteelersFan
it sounds like you know what the problem is, now let's talk about the attic.

how hot does it get up there?

hot equipment in hot summers is obviously not good. the equipment could have been taking a beating all summer and all it needed was a slight nudge to fall off the edge.

you don't want the same thing happening with your replacement switch.

of course, that might be a long shot, just a thought.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

That's the reason I don't have my equipment in the attic, but on a shelf close to a ceiling in my walkin closet near the entrance to the attic. Cables come from the attic to the walkin closet and all the gear is there.

SteelersFan
Rockwall, TX

SteelersFan to tomdlgns

to tomdlgns
The attic is fairly well insulated. I mean yea, it is Dallas and it does get hot. But I've never gone up there and felt the switch was at issue from heat. It seemed like a good place to run the 8 cables when I initiated the project since all my coaxials from DirecTV are up there plugged into a SWIM too. It's a one floor house with a bonus loft room (on the attic level) so the attic was the ideal spot for the switch.

I think this was just pure bad luck. I've had the switch for over five years and the power just surged. The SWIM multiswitch appears to be okay, but the switch just can't get a sync. Everything else in the house appears okay. I've ordered a new switch and hopefully that will do the trick. I can't imagine it being anything else since the individual ports used to light up when in use and now I get this cycling from port 8 to 1 like it's trying to sync but can't.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

if you had it there for 5 years and this is the first issue, then your temps are probably not that high in the attic.

what switch did you order as the replacement?

edit- was the switched plugged into a surge protector? i know that isn't 100%, but i'd still use one.

SteelersFan
Rockwall, TX

SteelersFan

No. The switch was plugged directly into a single metal box outlet attached to some plywood. I suppose I should get a surge protector too. I replaced it with this one -

»www.amazon.com/dp/B001QU ··· ST1_dp_1

Looks like a winner.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

yeah, i would get a surge protector.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21