Search similar:

uniqs
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

sharpening hockey skates

I don't play hockey anymore but I still skate sometimes. I haven't had my skates sharpened in what seems awhile. Today I had them done and it seemed to take two minutes per skate, if that. I was in Canada if it matters. My questions:
1. Why so short of time?
2. Were they likely not too dull to begin with? I thought they felt a little dull.
3. Is there a new method of skate sharpening? I remember 10 to 20 years ago when I played I had them done every two weeks and usually had to leave them overnight or wait 25 to 30 minutes.

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

1 recommendation

motoracer

said by fartness:

I don't play hockey anymore but I still skate sometimes. I haven't had my skates sharpened in what seems awhile. Today I had them done and it seemed to take two minutes per skate, if that. I was in Canada if it matters. My questions:
1. Why so short of time?
2. Were they likely not too dull to begin with? I thought they felt a little dull.
3. Is there a new method of skate sharpening? I remember 10 to 20 years ago when I played I had them done every two weeks and usually had to leave them overnight or wait 25 to 30 minutes.

Sharpening skates only takes a couple of minutes to do (check youtube for how to videos).

They didn't have to be sharp already to be sharpened quickly.

I don't know how they did it 10-20 years ago, but I'm sure the same basic principle is there - grinding the blade down a bit to get it sharp.

Ice skates should be sharpened after about 30 hours of use (it depends though on what kind of skating you're doing).

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

shaner

Premium Member

The overnight part from 20 years ago was probably because one guy at the rink did the skate sharpening, the vending machine filling, the locker room mapping, and the on ice supervision. We used to collect all the skate sharpening orders and do them at the end of the day when nobody was around to bug us. 2 guys, 2 grinders, we could knock off 50 or so skates in hour of uninterrupted time. Drop 'em off today and they'll be ready for practise tomorrow.
shezams
My Other Car Is A Zamboni
Premium Member
join:2001-08-14
Hyattsville, MD

shezams

Premium Member

If the stone is tuned and hockey skates were what you did last in the jig it is super quick. The person who sharpens skates is frequently the Zamboni driver too. The ice comes first. +1 to shaner

delt4
Congrats BUCCOS
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Pittsburgh, PA

delt4 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Never worked in an ice rink... Always preferred to do my own skates. Bout 2-3 mins....
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

When I grew up, there were different people doing different jobs since the team was good and there were a lot that played at the rink. Where I moved now, it's hard to find a larger run rink operation, but there's actually one closer to my house which is good.