spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bcsteeve

@shawcable.net

[General] Ok, so voip.ms won't port my number... now what? Callcentric?

Hi. I've been with voip.ms for quite some time with my business line. Now I'm wanting to switch our home line, but we've had the same hone number for a billion years and I'd prefer to keep it, if practical. Voip.ms shows it on their will-not-port-list. That got me Googling and I quickly came up with callcentric who will not only port it (if their online tool is correct) but also won't charge me for it! Nice. But I've never used them.

I really like voip.ms's flexibility with call routing. It wasn't the easiest thing to get a handle on, but once I got used to it... well, I got used to it But for home use, I suppose its not that important that I can set up a virtual receptionist, etc.

I do want the ability at least to define an unlimited (or reasonably high limit) number of call blocking entries. The downside of having one's number since the dawn of time, is it gets collected on a formidable number of telemarketer's lists!

I'm a little confused on their page regarding 911. It says they have to charge $1.50/mo on all accounts, but it kind of makes it look like the incoming AND outgoing both need one? So... I'd be paying $3.00/mo for 911? It is what it is, I just want to know.

Overall it seems like Callcentric is going to cost me a tiny bit more per month, but I get to keep my number. So unless I'm missing something (and hoping you guys'll fill me in) it seems like the way for me to go.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Who is your line currently with? I don't understand if Callcentric can port it, why can't Voip.ms?

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·AcroVoice
·Anveo

1 recommendation

Every service provider works with different carriers. VoIP.ms's carrier must not have presence in bcsteeve's rate centre. The alternate explanation is that some carriers charge service providers a fee for the privilege of having access to a specific rate centre, and perhaps VoIP.ms doesn't have access to bcsteeve's yet.

bcsteeve, Callcentric is an excellent, highly-regarded service provider here. I'm sure you will be happy with them. They do offer call blocking; in fact their tool for this purpose is slightly better than VoIP.ms because you can more easily define the order in which rules will be applied.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
moving soon
kudos:3
reply to bcsteeve
»www.telcodata.us/search-area-cod···e-detail
Check your line info to see what RATE CENTER you are in.
Click on RATE CENTER and it lists the carriers. Most use someone big, or several someone.
Not necessarily the same 6 digits, just the same physical rate center.

Based on your username are you in British Columbia?
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Artist-247

amd64now

join:2007-04-01
Orleans, ON
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
·Anveo
reply to bcsteeve
said by bcsteeve :

I'm a little confused on their page regarding 911. It says they have to charge $1.50/mo on all accounts, but it kind of makes it look like the incoming AND outgoing both need one? So... I'd be paying $3.00/mo for 911? It is what it is, I just want to know.

Its $1.50 per month for 911. Same as voip.ms charges. one time $1.50 setup fee.

I use CallCentric for home and I am very happy with the service.

Just open an account with them as its free to have a look around. Check out the call treatments to see if it can match your call handling requirements. They also have added a "press 1 (or another digit) to connect" feature to cut down on your phone ringing from a robot caller.

engineerdan

join:2006-12-07
Manassas, VA
reply to bcsteeve
said by bcsteeve :

That got me Googling and I quickly came up with callcentric who will not only port it (if their online tool is correct) but also won't charge me for it! Nice. But I've never used them.

I think it's wise to have multiple providers since a failure in one is unlikely to affect the other. In your case, you'll know that a failure of the Voip.ms underlying CLEC (the company that provides your local business number) is unlikely to impact the Callcentric underlying CLEC, since they're different companies. This redundancy will serve you well.

There are many folks who are happy with both Voip.ms and Callcentric. Both have strengths and weaknesses and, as you will soon see, have slightly different feature sets and ways of doing things. Both offer call blocking. Also, I've heard rumors that Callcentric is developing an automated-attendant, virtual receptionist. And, to your question, there's only one E-911 charge for each Callcentric location. You won't have to pay twice.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

amd64now

Orleans, ON

1 edit
reply to bcsteeve
My recent Canadian phone number port to CallCentric went to this CLEC »twitter.com/iristel/status/39318···/1/large

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Booth Babes!

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to bcsteeve
said by bcsteeve :

callcentric who will not only port it (if their online tool is correct) but also won't charge me for it!

You might want to doublecheck that. AFAIK, CC charges $25 for an LNP.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:7

1 recommendation

CC has been running free porting for Canadian numbers as a limited-time opportunity.
»www.callcentric.com/new/#free_po···_numbers

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·localphone.com
·Callcentric
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
reply to bcsteeve
said by bcsteeve :

Voip.ms shows it on their will-not-port-list.

You should discuss that with a human there, just to confirm.

said by bcsteeve :

I'm a little confused on their (CC) page regarding 911.

With CC there is one 911 fee [per account] even if the account has multiple DID. (Initial setup of 1.50 then 1.50 per month).

If you have an outbound CC plan (500/1000/Unlimited) then the 911 is included in that price, and you do NOT pay it separately.

-----

Regarding your question as to the CallCentric Call Treatments, you could have 100 entries (possibly more). Also you can put multiple phone book entries into a single phone book category (like "Pond Scum") then apply one Call Treatment to the whole category. So that gives you a huge capability.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to PX Eliezer
Ah - didn't see that. Thx.

Iscream
Premium
join:2009-02-17
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to travelguy
The LNP in Canada is [still] FREE.

The "news" page saying so is _here_ and it's been there since July 3, 2013:
»www.callcentric.com/new/

Also the newsflash e-mail (that so many people [here too] said is not needed because it's "irritating") had been sent to ALL Callcentric customers when it (the Free porting in Canada) had been introduced.

A related FAQ has not been updated because the FREE LNP of Canadian DID numbers is offered as a time-limited promotion - it's not the basic feature and this offer may be over any time.

Callcentric is the ONLY provider who offers FREE porting of Toll Free numbers while Callcentric is also totally unique in industry provider who does FREE Toll Free VANITY number search.

While I'm talking about Toll Free numbers - tomorrow, Dec. 7th, 2013 the new TF NPA - 844 is going to be officially available for reservations. Those of you who're quick with ideas may get their dream 844-YOUR-VANITY names beginning tomorrow for free.

Speaking of 911 fees - there is $1.50 monthly and one time setup $1.50 fee per account. It doesn't matter how many DIDs or extensions a customer has configured per account - there is only one 911 $1.50/month fee for the whole account.

Edit: just noticed a similar reply by "Gershom 1624".

amd64now

Orleans, ON
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
·Anveo
reply to bcsteeve
said by bcsteeve :

Overall it seems like Callcentric is going to cost me a tiny bit more per month, but I get to keep my number.

I forgot to mention one nice little savings for us north of the US border. No Taxes charged.

bcsteeve

@shawcable.net
Thanks so much for all your replies! Some quick replies/comments:
- Yes, I'm in BC (West Kelowna)
- I did confirm with voip.ms... no, they can't port.
- I haven't yet confirmed with CC if they can for sure, but their tool says yes.
- Thanks for the answers regarding 911
- It sounds like I'll be happy with CC, so I'll just do that. I have credit on my voip.ms that will last a long time, so I'll keep that too... why not.
- I'm going to try to snag a 844 vanity... that could be fun and handy. Got to start thinking

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
If you have an obi device, there's nothing that prevents you from having your inbound from CC and your outbound from voip.ms. I'm sure there are other devices also allow you to register with more than one VoSP.

And if you really need the inbound features of voip.ms, you could always get an iNum (free) or a virtual number (25c/month+0.1c/min) on voip.ms and forward your CC calls to voip.ms's.

Ole Juul

join:2013-04-27
Coalmont, BC
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to bcsteeve
said by bcsteeve :

Yes, I'm in BC (West Kelowna)

I'm close by and also in the 250 area. I also have a Call Centric number and highly recommend them, but I don't think they have local numbers for us. I notice that the CC 250 numbers are listed as being in the Victoria rate centre. All numbers here are 250-295 and I'm guessing the numbers over your way are all 250-86x and 76x. You should double check if CC really can port your number. Did you plug it into their search?

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·localphone.com
·Callcentric
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
I put several West Kelowna numbers into the search tool, and CC says it can port them.

He should verify, of course.

Often a provider may be able to port an existing number in a certain area, even if they don't have any new numbers of their own to give out.

Ole Juul

join:2013-04-27
Coalmont, BC
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by PX Eliezer:

Often a provider may be able to port an existing number in a certain area, even if they don't have any new numbers of their own to give out.

That's good to know, I wouldn't have asked if I needed a local number, but now I will. Anyway, let's hope for the best.

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
For your area of Coalmont, BC, the local numbers seem to be 250-295-xxxx which is the Princeton, BC rate centre.

CallCentric's tool indicates that they [can] port in those existing numbers.

bcsteeve

@shawcable.net
reply to bcsteeve
ok question: can I setup things so that I use Callcentric and my ported number for incoming and voip.ms for outgoing? Reason a) I have credit on voip.ms and b) voip.ms is a quarter the price it appears.

My device is a Linksys PAP2T

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·AcroVoice
·Anveo
Not easily, no. In order to combine multiple service providers you would need a device such as an OBi. The PAP2T allows you to use two providers, but they must be on two separate lines.

You could register your PAP2T to VoIP.ms and forward your Callcentric calls to VoIP.ms. However, this would add additional points of failure.

bcsteeve

@shawcable.net
I'm starting to think switching isn't such a good idea.

1) Unless I commit to the incoming and outgoing plans @ $13/mo (barely cheaper than my local telco) their rates are potentially WAY higher than voip.ms. I didn't think so at first, but once I got out the spreadsheet... potential usage could be upwards of $65/mo compared to $22 for voip.ms compared to $30 from my telco.

2) Callcentric has already annoyed me. I opened a ticket asking for sure about the porting (the only reason I would switch) and they responded with this weird message:
quote:
Hello,

Please note that we are showing that your account was blocked by our automated fraud prevention system (we cannot go into detail as to how our fraud prevention system works). Could you provide us with the following information?

1. Your full name
2. A telephone number you can be reached at and the best time to reach you.
3. Where you are currently located - City/Country
4. Where you will be using the Callcentric service from - City/Country
5. Who else has access to your account and from where would they be accessing your account?
6. How you plan to use the Callcentric service (personal, business, international calling, etc.)
7. Any additional information you may consider useful in this case

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you but understand that security is very important to us. We do this to protect not just ourselves but our customers. Also, be aware that unless you answer these questions we cannot unblock your account, the quicker and more thorough your answers are, the faster we can resolve this.

If you have any other questions, in the meantime, please let us know.
"Fraud prevention"? Come on... all I did was sign up. I didn't buy anything, so obviously there can't be a payment issue. I used all my real info and didn't attempt to obscure or hide anything. The only two things I can think of are:

1) They do this to everyone to pretend to be "on top of things"
2) They snoop more than they should and didn't like my ridiculously convoluted password (I use 16 random number/char/case/special) thinking perhaps a bot came up with it... but my password is the one thing that's nobody's business - even theirs.

Either way, perhaps I just need to convince my wife that we really don't need to keep that phone number we've had all these years and that voip.ms is fine. I'm done with TelCo. One of the reasons I'm done with them is the rates, but other than voip.ms, I'm not really seeing a lot of cost benefit to voip - which is really strange to me. Its too bad voip.ms won't port my number It would make this so much easier.

Dan_voip

join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC
kudos:4
said by bcsteeve :

1) Check other options like Anveo.com(free porting for $2/month unlimited incoming plan) and Freephoneline.ca(no monthly fee after $25 porting fee + $50 to get SIP credentials)
2) There are doing that for a reason which is neither ones you've listed, by example if you signed up by VPN and that's really designed to prevent the frauds.

Dan_voip

join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC
kudos:4
reply to Mango
said by bcsteeve :

said by Mango:

In order to combine multiple service providers you would need a device such as an OBi.

Another good thing about this device is that you can dial out using the 2nd provider in case the 1st one can't complete the calls at one point and that without changing any settings when that happens.

bcsteeve

@shawcable.net
reply to Dan_voip
I do have a VPN service... I suppose its possible it was active when I signed up, but that would be unusual. I really use that very rarely. But yeah, I guess that could explain it.

I'll look at those other services, thanks.

edit: first one doesn't have service in my local area. I haven't been able to figure out how to check on the 2nd one.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to bcsteeve
If you are behind a proxy or using a VPN service, you may trigger a set of challenges like that.

VoIP services have major problems with fraud being commited against them via VPNs and proxys.

bcsteeve

@shawcable.net
I guess by not being a criminal... I'm not seeing the problem But I can accept that. If that's the case, then I suppose my VPN probably was active when I signed up since it elicited that response from them.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Another poster here some time ago got the same treatment. He tried to sign up for service but was denied until he answered those questions. He admitted that the was using a VPN.

bcsteeve

@shawcable.net
"admitted" as though its a bad thing?