uniqs

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

Roll back a software update?

I have an HTC Thunderbolt currently running Android 4.0.4 with HTC Sense 3.6. The last update has made my phone run slow and clunky. I tried a factory reset but this thing still runs the same way.

Is there a way I can revert back to the old version? I am so not happy with this "Ice cream sandwich" update and would much rather have things back the way they were before the update screwed things up.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck

MVM

I believe you would have to root it, install a custom recovery, then find the version you want to put back in. Remember, you ALWAYS have to install for YOUR version/model number and for your wireless carrier.

If you check in the droidforums.net there should be information on doing this for your phone.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

There is tutorials for my phone however, I was hoping there was another way aside from the pain staking process of root it.

Looks like I will have to find some time to sit and go through the process.
unibroker
Premium Member
join:2010-11-12
Coeur D Alene, ID

unibroker

Premium Member

I have used Cyanogenmod custom roms for years. They introduced an installer recently that makes the rooting process much easier.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to Cthen

MVM

to Cthen
Well, the good part is once it's rooted and you have the custom recovery in place, you can load the rom you want. There might be something out there that you like better and your phone runs ok. Make sure you make a backup on the phone to restore with if the flash doesn't work right.

It's usually not quite so horrible as it sounds/seems to do the first time on a device. I was lucky and got my practices out of the way on an original Droid. They were pretty much un-brickable.

I hope it all turns out well and you can use your phone again!

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to Cthen

Premium Member

to Cthen
said by Cthen:

Is there a way I can revert back to the old version? I am so not happy with this "Ice cream sandwich" update and would much rather have things back the way they were before the update screwed things up.

This is a reason to not be a first adopter and wait to update until you see others experience with you especially older or minimal device.

As OS grow they become more CPU intensive, on older processors that can really slow things down.

A major issue with older iPhones upgraded to iOS7 that really can't handle it, but Apple allowed it.

Same thing happens with Android on limited resource devices... that are updated, when maybe they shouldn't have been for their capability.... unfortunately going back can be very difficult.
djcrazy
Premium Member
join:2009-08-05
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit

djcrazy to Cthen

Premium Member

to Cthen
Personally I liked ICS when I had my Galaxy S3 before getting the S4 but after looking up the specs on your phone I can see why you are having issues. Of course I rooted both of them. I could NEVER live without root again. I also froze firmware update with Titanium Backup pro so it doesn't nag me. As someone else posted here, never accept a update right away and do research first as the carriers are not upfront at all about what these updates contain and some of them disable features, etc.

Head on over to the XDA Developers forum. Those people know their sh*t and in my opinion is the best out there. It took me about 30 seconds to root my S4 not counting the time it took me to connect the micro sd to the usb on my PC. Another advantage to rooting, is that you can freeze or uninstall the useless carrier and manufacturer bloatware with Android Tuner or Titanium Backup. That bloat is probably more responsible for slowing down your device than the OS itself since it hogs RAM and eats the battery while it always runs in the background. You may actually want to keep ICS after freezing that crap. If you still are not happy, you can always roll back once you are rooted. Check it out and good luck.

»forum.xda-developers.com ··· nderbolt