how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

1 edit

[HVAC] Furnace Filter (picture 1 of 2 added)

Click for full size
This is what's under the blower.
I have a 30 year gas furnace which is completely past it's lifespan (came with the house), but I'm hoping it will last through the winter at which point I'll replace both the A/C and the furnace. I need to find a filter for it, but I'm not sure what it takes.

The furnace is A Ruud, but has no markings on it as far as the model number. The only markings that I found are base plate numbers:
AS-60779-01
AS-60779-02
AS-60779-03
AS-60779-04

If I open the bottom door (below the burners) when some sort of a motor is, there is a disgusting brillo looking pad down there. It's beyond filthy and I'm not sure if that's even supposed to be there. On the side where the air duct comes in, there is what looks like an ancient filter holder that can take a fairly large filter. It's not a slideout like the modern ones, but there is a removable door on top. What's in there now is a smallish filter, not attached to anything and falls down constantly, which leads me to believe it's not designed for this application.

How do I figure out what filters go into this furnace?

Thank you.

Edit: added 1 picture, the picture of the filter holder I'll add tonight when I get home.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

[HVAC] Re: Furnace Filter

said by Dodge:

On the side where the air duct comes in, there is what looks like an ancient filter holder that can take a fairly large filter.

Measure that "holder". It's very, very likely that it will be a standard size.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dodge
If it were me, I'd just contact the nearest Ruud dealer, supply him with the model numbers and ask what filters are needed. You might even be able to Google an inquiry direct from Ruud.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

Dodge
Premium
reply to Hall
The compartment is split into 2 parts, a narrow one that's closer to the duct and much wider one that's closer to the furnace. The split looks like this:

-------------
| | |
| |
| |FURNACE SIDE
| |
| |
| |
| | |
-------------

Does the filter go into furnace side or the duct size as those 2 slots are different widths.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
reply to Dodge
there's a live chat(with rep) available here...
»www.airfilters.com/furnace-filters/ruud.html

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to Dodge
I had the same setup on my last furnace. The "outside" filter in the return ductwork was a non-standard size that was not stocked by anyone locally. I always had to special order filters.

When the motor went out, I discovered the hidden "inside" filter holder, which was a standard size. I sealed off the "outside" filter slot and just used the "inside" filter slot going forward.

Throw the nasty filter out and go get a new one. All you need is a tape measure.

When I got a new furnace last year, I corrected the return air ductwork to allow for a standard size filter.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to Dodge
Sounds like you have a "hammock" style filter. You can buy replacement filter media on a roll.

Dodge
Premium
thats the view from the top. I'll take a picture when I get home.

I'm just concerned with what exactly fell into it as it has a lot of drywall type dust by the blower. I can only imagine what it's putting out into the house.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to Dodge

[HVAC] Re: Furnace Filter (picture 1 of 2 added)

OK. Now you have me confused. Does your return air enter through the bottom of your furnace? That just looks like sound deadening material to me.

After years of service, it's normal for the blower compartment to be full of crap. Vacuum it out once in a while.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Dodge
Premium
the return enters from the left, that's the diagram that I drew, I just don't have a picture of it (will add tonight). This picture is a compartment under the blower and may very well be some sort of deadening material. Can that mesh be replaced? I think it's beyond vacuuming. Keep in mind, I just moved in here, so I'm finding these things as I go along.

Ultimately this furnace needs to be replaced, I was pretty much told this during the inspection, but if I can get one winter out of it that would be perfect.

bmilone2

join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ
reply to Dodge
The picture is too tight to tell, but is this a down draft heater (meaning that the hot air is blown down through the bottom of the heater and into the duct plenum for distribution) or does it blow out the top?

The way your picture looks to me is that the return comes in above the blower and then down to the heat exchanger and into the supply ducts below that.

Dodge
Premium
The return is on the left of this picture, the burners are above. I think I need to take better pictures of the entire setup tonight.

bmilone2

join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ
reply to Dodge
Yep I just looked again at the picture and see the air flow arrow which would have answered my question if i was more observant . I would bet that the filter looking thing is actually just the bottom of the fan motor box.

I'm sure someone here will be able to give you the correct answer to your question once you post more detailed pictures of the unit.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI

2 edits
reply to Dodge

Re: Furnace Filter (picture 1 of 2 added)

Click for full size
Hi Dodge, here is a picture of my 1988 era Bryant Plus 90 furnace. It is very similar to yours. The material under my blower motor is some sort of fiberglass mat. I always figured it was either for sound deadening or to somehow insulate the furnace return air from the cold basement floor. I have vacuumed it off in the past with a soft brush attached to my vacuum, and it looks like it needs another cleaning right now. If you are unsure of the size for your filter (you can see mine on the left and it is removable from the side), I would just take a tape measure and do your best to find the approximate length and depth of the opening. The width is almost always going to be 1 inch. Head over to Home Depot or Lowe's and pick up a 99 cent fiberglass filter that is as close as possible in size (pick out a few different sizes if it's not clearly obvious). Stick with the cheapo filter until you find the size that fits best. These older furnaces really weren't designed for the high MER value filters anyways. If you go above a MER 4, you are in my opinion doing more harm than good. Good luck.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
reply to Dodge

Re: [HVAC] Re: Furnace Filter

-------------
| |f |
| i |
| l |FURNACE SIDE
| t |
| e |
| r |
| |U |
-------------

Dodge
Premium
reply to mix

Re: Furnace Filter (picture 1 of 2 added)

That's exactly what my furnace looks like. I've actually decided that none of this is worth the headache for one winter and just vacuumed out all of the garbage out of it and left it alone. 1 inch filter would be loose and anything wider may choke the life out of it, so in my book it became very pointless to deal with it.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
Not sure what you mean. The suction from the blower motor pulls the filter tight on mine.

Dodge
Premium
And when the motor is off mine falls sideways in it's holder. I'm sure someone thought this type of flapping is a good idea 30 years ago, but doesn't seem right nowadays.