Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

1 recommendation

cramer to Doc

Premium Member

to Doc

Re: [Networking] IPv6

Seeing how even Verizon Enterprise networking still doesn't support IPv6, don't hold your breath on Residential getting it anytime soon.

Doc
@verizon.net

1 recommendation

Doc

Anon

@Cramer: I hear you. If I held my breath, I'd be bluer that Leanne Rimes. I would actually be content if VZ just provided some useful information. Such as, do they think it will be next year, 2015, sometime this century?. Also it would be helpful for folks like me if they would let us know what prefix they are planning to assign residential users. I find it hard to believe that they haven't decided that at this juncture. Oh well, I guess I'll just drive on with 4 until my contract is up and if they haven't provided any useful information regarding 6, I'll look into what the other ISP's are doing.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

1 recommendation

nycdave

MVM

/56.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by nycdave:

/56.

Native or 6rd?

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

No further details at this time.

Doc
@verizon.net

Doc to nycdave

Anon

to nycdave
@nycdave Thank you for your reply. If I understand your reply properly, you are saying that FIOS residential customers will received a /56 prefix. Is that correct?
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

cramer to Doc

Premium Member

to Doc
/64 or /60 based on what every other idiot is doing. (even Comcast who said /56 and /48 are now handing out /60's.) Until they start providing IPv6, there's no point in asking -- they can claim anything they wish.

Doc
@myvzw.com

Doc

Anon

A /60 would suit me just fine since that would provide me with 16 subnets. I don't have quite that many right now. So, a /60 would work for me. A /64 however, would be problematic for me.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy

Only problematic if you're too lazy to set up a DHCP server. A /64 is large enough to give every possible IEEE 802 network device (ethernet, wifi, Bluetooth, etc.) on the planet a unique address, 65536 times over. If you have a need for separate subnets, then divide up your /64 into /80s or something.

Doc
@myvzw.com

Doc

Anon

Where I see a potential issue is where VZ dynamically assigns /64 address to the outside interface. If I then attempt to assign say a /80 to the inside interface, there is a network overlap between the /64 and the /80.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to dfwguy

to dfwguy
said by dfwguy:

Only problematic if you're too lazy to set up a DHCP server. A /64 is large enough to give every possible IEEE 802 network device (ethernet, wifi, Bluetooth, etc.) on the planet a unique address, 65536 times over. If you have a need for separate subnets, then divide up your /64 into /80s or something.

No, not true. The DHCP server is only the one side of the setup; you also need a DHCP client and there are common OS's without it. Either way there is no excuse for not assigning something more than a /64. Dividing up a /64 breaks my network, not an option.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

1 recommendation

cramer

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

there are common OS's without [a dhcpv6 client]

Actually, that's not so true either. The Big Three support it... Windows 7+ (we don't speak of Vista, and XP's IPv6 is "experimental" to start with), Mac OSX since 10.8 (and maybe somewhere in 10.7), and almost any modern linux distro... There are a great many random devices that won't -- "Smart" TVs, game consoles, DVRs, DVD/Bluray players... that is, if they support IPv6 at all.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned)

said by cramer:

Actually, that's not so true either.

Android/ChromeOS do not have DHCP clients as one such example, thus what I said is true. What you said doesn't change the validity of what I said.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

To be fair, Android doesn't officially support IPv6 -- do you see ANY IPv6 configuration available in the network settings? What's there is simply the product of building ipv6 support in the kernel. It's come a long way, but Android's handling of IPv6 is a bad joke.

(It takes 3rd party apps to even know you have an IPv6 connection.)
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by cramer:

To be fair, Android doesn't officially support IPv6 -- do you see ANY IPv6 configuration available in the network settings? What's there is simply the product of building ipv6 support in the kernel. It's come a long way, but Android's handling of IPv6 is a bad joke.

That is nonsense. It does officially support IPv6. What it does support goes beyond the kernel alone. iOS supports v6 and there were and last time I looked still no networks settings for v6. The first couple releases of iOS there wasn't a status screen to even see your assigned address either. Either way it still doesn't change what I said. I do agree though that Android needs more work on its v6 support, but then again so does Windows and OS X.

Doc
@myvzw.com

Doc to 34764170

Anon

to 34764170
Let's assume for the sake of this discussion that I have equipment in place that supports DHCPv6, since that is my intent. If VZ assigns a single /64 subnet to me, and the outside interface of my VZ supplied equipment a /64 address, for example something like 2006:1234:5678:9ab0::1/64. If I then configure the inside with a /80 such as 2006:1234:5678:9ab0:9876::1/80, I have a network overlap between the /64 and /80. That is why I am hopeful that VZ will assign a /60 space to each residential user. That way if VZ assigns the outside interface with the same 2006:1234:5678:9ab0::1, I have the 2006:1234:5678:9ab1-f subnets left for my internal networks. Does that make sense to everyone?
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

No, the link has it's address range and then you have a prefix for your internal LAN. You then subnet that (presumably) /64 into longer prefixes and assign those; you never place the full /64 on any interface.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to Doc

to Doc
Your Actiontec (or whatever) gets an IP on a separate network, controlled by VZ. You assign its LAN interface 2006:1234:5678:9ab0:ffff::1 prefixlen 80 (which subnet you use for internal routing doesn't matter, but you have to sacrifice something). Your other routers also get WAN addresses under 2006:1234:5678:9ab0:ffff::/80. The LAN address for one of those routers would be 2006:1234:5678:9ab0:9876::1 prefixlen 80. All the devices on that subnet also get 2006:1234:5678:9ab0:9876::/80 addresses.

You still need a router to section off each subnet. You either need separate DHCP servers for each subnet, or better yet, routers that support DHCP relaying. Any request that comes in get forwarded to one central DHCP server, which has separate scopes set up for each subnet, and automagically knows which one to assign in based on which router the request was relayed through. You would also need to either configure static routes to all your subnets or else have routers that implement RIPng or another routing protocol to announce what they have available. Isn't networking fun?

Doc
@myvzw.com

Doc

Anon

@cramer & dfwguy. If that is indeed how VZ does it, than yes, subnetting below the /64 would work. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Most of my equipment is Cisco, though there is the odd Netscreen. Yes, networking is fun. If it were easy, anyone could do it, right?
Doc

Doc

Anon

In order to avoid confusion, I meant to say subnetting beyond the /64 vice below the /64.