spc
uniqs
OregonBob
join:2008-10-14
Klamath Falls, OR

3 edits

OregonBob to aurgathor

to aurgathor

Re: [Appliances] Is there a fridge that works correctly at any temperature?

The refrigeration process requires a certain temperature in order to convert the freon from a liquid to a gas and back to a liquid. If the temperature is to low, this cannot happen. I think 60F is probably the lowest temperature to allow the process to happen. Check the owners manual for the minimum temperature.

Here is some information......

»www.aham.org/consumer/ht ··· n/id/844

Outdoor refrigerators....

»www.ajmadison.com/b.php/ ··· 94966095

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by OregonBob:

The refrigeration process requires a certain temperature in order to convert the freon from a liquid to a gas and back to a liquid. If the temperature is to low, this cannot happen. I think 60F is probably the lowest temperature to allow the process to happen. Check the owners manual for the minimum temperature.

Well the above actually has an answer:
quote:
manual defrost freezers can generally be operated in an unheated garage or porch without affecting the unit or frozen food
Hmm, I wonder if I can just disable the auto-defrost feature on mine?
Or it's more than just that feature.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

The one I have which works fine in those conditions is an auto-defrost. It's probably about 20-25 years old.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

There are probably some differences between different makers and models. Can you tell me the make and model?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to aurgathor

MVM

to aurgathor
Might be that the defrost timer assembly needs replaced.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to aurgathor

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

said by OregonBob:

Well the above actually has an answer:
quote:
manual defrost freezers can generally be operated in an unheated garage or porch without affecting the unit or frozen food
Hmm, I wonder if I can just disable the auto-defrost feature on mine?
Or it's more than just that feature.

it's not the temperature of the refrigerant that causes problems, since it can be -20F and work fine. the problem lies in the fact that refrigerators and freezers don't have a crankcase heater, since they are designed to work in warm temperatures.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cr ··· e_heater so, there is a risk of damaging the compressor in cold weather. as far as working with that risk, an older refrigerator, without electronic controls is more likely to work..