uniqs
share rss forum feed

iLearn

join:2013-01-16
canada

What is this?

Click for full size
Does anyone know what this is?

I saw this on a 25 year old house - outside the master bedroom in the hallway.

Thanks

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Not sure with all the splatters, but it looks like an old alarm key switch.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to iLearn
It looks like a red (top) and green (bottom) status light. If the red light is on Mommy & Daddy are busy.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to iLearn
said by iLearn:

Does anyone know what this is?

I saw this on a 25 year old house - outside the master bedroom in the hallway.

Thanks

It's a little hard to see but more than likely the upper button is a alarm panic button hence the shield around it and the lower button is either an indicator or a push button switch probably a shunt switch for bypassing some form of interior detection device.

If it is a switch when you pushit in that little window in the end of it it will display orange, push again it displays black, orange normally indicates the interior device is activated black indicates it is bypassed.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
reply to iLearn
If the red device is a push button switch it is probably a panic button associated with a burglar alarm. If the black device is a rotary or push button switch it is probably to arm the alarm system at night when the resident goes to bed.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

5 recommendations

reply to iLearn
It is the HAL v1 - before he was added to the space ship and killed everyone.

iLearn

canada
reply to iLearn
Sorry about the bad picture.

But just to clarify. The top button was obviously a button but the button thingy is not a button it is just some light in a transparent plastic enclosure.

The house was equipped with an alarm system but there was nothing else fancy in the house. Just a whirlpool jet and 2 heat lamps in the bathroom.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to iLearn
Panic button.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to iLearn
I've found the best way to find out stuff like this is just to push the button and see what happens.

About 10 or 15 years ago I was in a commercial kitchen and noticed a big red button near the deep fryers. I asked around and no one seemed to know what it did. Satisfied it wasn't part of the fire suppression system, I pushed it. Turns out it operated the shunt trips on all the cooking appliances. Chef was not pleased but everyone learned something that day.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
reply to iLearn
I am also thinking that it is/was some sort of panic button.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to pike
said by pike:

I've found the best way to find out stuff like this is just to push the button and see what happens.

About 10 or 15 years ago I was in a commercial kitchen and noticed a big red button near the deep fryers. I asked around and no one seemed to know what it did. Satisfied it wasn't part of the fire suppression system, I pushed it. Turns out it operated the shunt trips on all the cooking appliances. Chef was not pleased but everyone learned something that day.

How could they not tell all the workers what to do just in case something goes wrong?
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
reply to pike
Usually a big red button is for a fire suppression system, let me tell you I would not be just pressing a big red button in a commercial kitchen.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
said by Corehhi:

Usually a big red button is for a fire suppression system, let me tell you I would not be just pressing a big red button in a commercial kitchen.

Honestly, It could have been far far far worse than it was, just shunt trips is ok... I've had it where foam sprays EVERYWHERE during a test when someone forgot to properly disarm the release on the container (15,000 in damage).
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
reply to Corehhi
I did specifically say earlier that I made sure it wasn't part of the fire suppression system. I remember quite distinctly that facility had an Ansul system and all the pull stations were equipped with tamper dye. Upon reflection that wasn't among the wisest decisions I ever made...

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by pike:

I did specifically say earlier that I made sure it wasn't part of the fire suppression system. I remember quite distinctly that facility had an Ansul system and all the pull stations were equipped with tamper dye. Upon reflection that wasn't among the wisest decisions I ever made...

I know someone who did that once in a server room. He didn't cut the power, but did end up locking himself in. They disabled it after that...

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

How could they not tell all the workers what to do just in case something goes wrong?

The button should be clearly labelled as to what it does. Big red emergency buttons are not very useful if no one knows what it's for, and there's more of a chance that a curious individual will press it just to see what it does.

If the button is clearly labelled and in a conspicuous location then there is really no need to inform all the workers, as they'll just see it and immediately know.

iLearn

canada
reply to iLearn
Thanks all.

I guess I would just assume that this is some kind of a panic button associated with the home alarm system.

But based on my limited experience with all different types of systems installed in residential buildings, I dont think it is a good design to have this 'panic' button available for everyone in the house in the mail hallway. I mean a visitor (like myself) can just press the button just out of curiosity - and children.

So I am not 100% that this is a panic button and/or home alarm activation button.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to iLearn
did you push it?

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

reply to iLearn
It might be the master switch to end the world!

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

2 recommendations

said by mityfowl:

It might be the master switch to end the world!

. . . or the history eraser button !

--
December is National Christmas Freak Out Month

md

@sbcglobal.net
reply to iLearn
Attic light switch?

alphageek911

join:2007-08-10
Fresno, CA
reply to iLearn
MatrixHDV has it right, I installed many of those, years ago. We usually mounted them up fairly high on the wall in a hallway or bedroom, to keep small children from pushing them easily.

The top is a panic button, the bottom one sure looks like what Matrix mentioned, a zone shunt button (I have seen one used for arm/disarm, but that wasn't common). We called them "red eye" buttons. Try pushing it a little harder, or jiggling it around a bit, they did tend to get stuck.

Usually, you also had a keyswitch panel with two indicators, white when the system was ready to arm, and red for armed. They were by the entry doors, inside if the panel was new enough to have an entry/exit delay, or outside if it was really old.

If the home has a newer alarm system, that probably isn't connected to anything, anymore. (Or, push the buttons, and find out ).

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to iLearn
Did you push it?

Did you push
it?

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to iLearn
I guess not if I'm correct

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
reply to mityfowl

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to TheMG
True if it's labeled then we would know, but as he sated it was unlabeled and ended up pressing it and it tripped all the appliances off-line, at least now they will know what the switch is for.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
said by Subaru:

True if it's labeled then we would know, but as he sated it was unlabeled and ended up pressing it and it tripped all the appliances off-line, at least now they will know what the switch is for.

I would have fired his butt for violating the don't touch buttons you have no idea about rule.

iLearn

canada
reply to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

did you push it?

Absolutely not. I dont like pushing any buttons at someone else's house - especially if I have no idea that it is for and it is 'red'. Sorry

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
I knew you didn't push it because I
m still here

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to iLearn
said by iLearn:

said by mityfowl:

did you push it?

Absolutely not. I dont like pushing any buttons at someone else's house - especially if I have no idea that it is for and it is 'red'. Sorry

Some people on here don't mind "Pushing Buttons".