share rss forum feed

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice

Does anyone know if these will work after the GV change May 2014?

"Google announced the end of support for XMPP based calling with Google Voice. This will happen on May 15, 2014".

I know that GV on my Obi will no longer work as is and I am wondering if the following will still work after Google ends support of XMPP based calling:

- Voice+ (Google Callback): Android app
- GV Connect: Android/iPhone app
- PBoxes

Thanks for any info on these or other programs or apps.

Rob.
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/

tommyanon

@comcast.net
said by RobThompson:

"Google announced the end of support for XMPP based calling with Google Voice. This will happen on May 15, 2014".

I know that GV on my Obi will no longer work as is and I am wondering if the following will still work after Google ends support of XMPP based calling:

- Voice+ (Google Callback): Android app
- GV Connect: Android/iPhone app
- PBoxes

Thanks for any info on these or other programs or apps.

Rob.

PBXes uses XMPP and certainly stop connecting. callback apps may continue to work unless google makes a decision to change how that works. it really depends on whether google leaves that functionality to allow users to trigger callback from the GV webpage, as long as that exists it can be hacked to be triggered by an app.

the whole story is that we really will no know what is coming until that time comes.

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Thanks tommyanon!

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to RobThompson
Just a FYI not related to XMPP but related to privacy.

Google Voice: Press "1" to invade your privacy

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
said by mozerd:

That's nothing new about privacy issues with any Google services. As a matter of fact, do you think your privacy is safe with your bank account or even with your doctor or your car dealer/service center?
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
Yes, my privacy is 100% safe with my bank account and or my doctor. I do not know about my car dealer/service center.

WhyADuck
Premium
join:2003-03-05
kudos:1
reply to mozerd
said by mozerd:

This is not the only issue people are having with Google. Depending on your political views, you might think that Google has joined the dark side after reading this:

Google why so evil?

If you disagree with the writer's politics (I don't, but I realize others will), just skip his opening editorial and go right to the bullet points. The point is that Google has changed A LOT from the company we once knew and loved.

I am probably as big as supporter of Google Voice as anyone has been, but I am becoming less and less confident that Google won't pull the rug out one day, despite the fact that they probably paid a good deal of money to buy out Grand Central and Gizmo5, and probably a lot more money to get the service up and running. Everyone expected that some day they would find a way to monetize it, for example by playing a short ad to the caller while waiting for the called party to answer, but lately it seems that they are simply pruning services they don't want to deal with anymore. And what is so bad about that is that in many cases they started out by buying independent services that people loved, absorbing them into Google, and then shutting them down after some period of time.

There is still no power in heaven or on earth that will ever compel me to pay for phone calls by the minute again, and I will always prefer a free option if one is available, just to avoid potential billing screwups of the type we used to encounter with Ma Bell. But I sure wish that there was something similar to Google Voice that has no connection to Google, because I'm really starting to dislike Google as a company.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by WhyADuck:

This is not the only issue people are having with Google. Depending on your political views, you might think that Google has joined the dark side after reading this:

Google why so evil?

If you disagree with the writer's politics (I don't, but I realize others will), just skip his opening editorial and go right to the bullet points. The point is that Google has changed A LOT from the company we once knew and loved.

That was a very interesting read, thank you.

said by WhyADuck:

I am probably as big as supporter of Google Voice as anyone has been, but I am becoming less and less confident that Google won't pull the rug out one day, despite the fact that they probably paid a good deal of money to buy out Grand Central and Gizmo5, and probably a lot more money to get the service up and running.

I agree, but I don't think that it will be a dramatic execution. Rather they will slowly emasculate some of it, change some of it, and scatter the remaining ashes to the wind.

said by WhyADuck:

There is still no power in heaven or on earth that will ever compel me to pay for phone calls by the minute again, and I will always prefer a free option if one is available, just to avoid potential billing screwups of the type we used to encounter with Ma Bell.

I don't want to reopen that can of warms, other than to observe that I can't ever recall seeing anyone here complain of a PAYG billing screwup with any of the VoIP providers here. It seems a little unfair to say that just because Ma Bell had screwups (and today's Verizon still has massive screwups) that this would also be an issue with the independent VoIP providers.

As well, if the choice is between supporting friends of Grover Norquist, or paying Localphone a penny a minute to make a call, isn't the second option better?

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Anveo
·VMedia
reply to mozerd
said by mozerd:

Yes, my privacy is 100% safe with my bank account and or my doctor.

Ha ha, best laugh I've had all week. You may be able to trust your Doctor or bank, but you cannot trust the people who work for them.
--
DPC3825 (bridge mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 1.8.10.1 on a Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.ms - Localphone - UKDDI

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by grand total:

said by mozerd:

Yes, my privacy is 100% safe with my bank account and or my doctor.

Ha ha, best laugh I've had all week. You may be able to trust your Doctor or bank, but you cannot trust the people who work for them.

Really.

You'd have to find an old-time doctor (like from the Gunsmoke TV show) who works by himself and has no staff. Even then, your data is all going to go to the provincial health plan (Canada) or to a private health insurer and maybe also the Feds (US).

Similarly, as far as banks, even Swiss banks are not what they used to be.

-----

In a related vein:

Found: Hacker server storing two million pilfered passwords

Credentials belonged to users of Facebook, Yahoo, Google, Twitter, and more.

»arstechnica.com/security/2013/12···aswords/

sabresfan
Sabresfan

join:2009-05-03
Buffalo, NY
reply to RobThompson
My sipsorcery account is now blocked from working google voice. Sipsorcery's server is somewhere in Europe and google will not allow access to my gmail from there anymore. I received a suspicious activity email from google and verified it was me but its still blocked.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·callwithus
·T-Mobile US
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to PX Eliezer
said by PX Eliezer:

As well, if the choice is between supporting friends of Grover Norquist, or paying Localphone a penny a minute to make a call, isn't the second option better?

Actually, it is 0.5c/min in the lower 48, but this may be also a question of personal finances. 15 years ago, I would not have bought a Chinese product, no matter the hassle and additional expenses involved in getting something else. Things change; and not always for the better.
Walmart hurts most those people who shop there.
Google joining ALEC is for me the last drop indeed, they definitely joined the the ranks of evil, but what are you going to do? Stop using my computer because I do not like Microsoft? Yes, I am waiting for a porting special from Localphone and I will be completely out of GV before May, but the truth is that we have less and less choices. At least it is a nice thing to have a bunch of good VOIP companies.

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8
reply to PX Eliezer
said by PX Eliezer:

I agree, but I don't think that it will be a dramatic execution. Rather they will slowly emasculate some of it, change some of it, and scatter the remaining ashes to the wind.

Sounds to me like they've already started...

Hell, just last month they killed Google Checkout - a service that actually made them money! They're like a kid flailing around trying to grab the newest shiniest toy and when they finally get it and play with it they get bored, throw it away, and move on to the next toy. That's nice and all that they have the money to do it - but they're impacting real people who depend on these services only to have them shut down on them within a few years.

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by nitzan:

Hell, just last month they killed Google Checkout - a service that actually made them money! They're like a kid flailing around trying to grab the newest shiniest toy and when they finally get it and play with it they get bored, throw it away, and move on to the next toy. That's nice and all that they have the money to do it - but they're impacting real people who depend on these services only to have them shut down on them within a few years.

This is an excellent analysis, and sadly all too true.

Jon D

@comcast.net
reply to sabresfan
Change your password and it will work again. Same thing happens with PBXes

pinky321

join:2002-06-05

1 edit
reply to sabresfan
Server of SIPsorcery is located in Dallas, Texas. The exact data center information can be found via »www.tierpoint.com/data-centers/dallas

I also use SIPsorcery to make outgoing calls via Google Voice. It continue to work fine and reliably.

I also have another Google Voice that log in from different countries, actually different continents without any problem. Try only log in Google from United States with only one instance without any other login should take care of the concern.

Otherwise, try following steps within United States:
- Confirming the "Suspicious activity" on Google.
- Changing password (to contain upper and lower case letters, punctuation and numbers and is 10 digits long).

josephf

join:2009-04-26
reply to RobThompson
Has Obi indicated whether or not they intend to release a new ATA that will support Google Voice's new protocol, post May 2014? Is such an endeavor even technically feasible?

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
OBi has said nothing beyond that direct support of Google Voice will stop when Google shuts of XMPP.

I suspect that when Google said their TOS was being violated but without mentioning any names, they were thinking of OBihai.

josephf

Is there any reason that it would be any less technically feasible for OBi to release a new device supporting GV's new protocol than it was for them to have supported the old protocol?

cb14

Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·callwithus
·T-Mobile US
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
said by josephf:

Is there any reason that it would be any less technically feasible for OBi to release a new device supporting GV's new protocol than it was for them to have supported the old protocol?

It may not be legally feasible.

josephf

Reviews:
·VoicePulse
said by cb14:

said by josephf:

Any more or less so than the first time OBi introduced a Google Voice supporting ATA?

cb14

Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·callwithus
·T-Mobile US
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
said by josephf:

said by cb14:

said by josephf:

Any more or less so than the first time OBi introduced a Google Voice supporting ATA?

Google seems to be less enchanted by the idea of third parties using GV for outgoing calls( the number of which skyrocketed over time) than they used to be.

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
Mention of old non-XMPP method of triggering GV callback:

»pbxinaflash.com/community/index.···s.12620/

Don't know the specifics, like if it exploits yet another API likely to go away real soon also or just change too frequently to be useful.

But another company could create an XMPP-supporting old GV clone, grand central all over again. Let's see google claimed to offer free service in order to drive voice transcription research? Who else just might barely have nearly as compelling an incentive... who could it be... I wonder... could it be... the NSA?!

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8
said by brookeKrige:

Let's see google claimed to offer free service in order to drive voice transcription research? Who else just might barely have nearly as compelling an incentive... who could it be... I wonder... could it be... the NSA?!

Yes, except the NSA doesn't need to offer a free service to do this - they can just record your calls on any US carrier!

Source: none. I'm mostly joking, although wouldn't be surprised if it's mostly true...

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
said by nitzan:

Source: none. I'm mostly joking, although wouldn't be surprised if it's mostly true...

its not mostly true --- its TRUE!

The very same happens in Canada --- on 911 for North America Privacy changed its meaning for all because stupid people elected by stupid people are allowed to run the show.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business