uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

What happened?

This site was down for everyone for about an hour early this AM. This is the fourth time the site has been down recently.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

I was getting error 501 or the site was completely unresponsive from 0740h until 0810h this morning. I was also having error messages yesterday morning from 1100h to 1130h.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee

nil
Java Geek
join:2000-11-27
kudos:2

3 recommendations

reply to Mele20
Resource contention on a server, it should be fine from now on.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
Click for full size
some ill behaviour from four IPs bashing away at the site search function caused disk full. Both temporary table creation AND mysql binlogging meant triple disk space use and a full partition.

I don't know what you mean by "recently" unless you just mean this weekend (anything unavailable this weekend was for the same reason), as during November it was 100% availability unless you are going to quibble over 2 minutes.

At least, according to pingdom.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Click for full size
It was down again just now for about one-half hour. I wrote a reply to a thread poster and tried to post it and got a 504 error like the other times. So, I checked "Is it Down Right Now" site and I don't understand their stats. They say it has been down for 4 hours 36 mnutes when I checked at 9:08 PM HST. I got on at about 8:15PM so it wasn't down 4 hours and 36 minutes! It went down at about 9:08 PM.

It has been down briefly, maybe 5 minutes or so, several times before this weekend but earlier this week. I was slightly worried then that maybe there was another nasty peering/routing problem for me as I checked "Down for Everyone or Just Me" those times and that site said it was "just me". But then the time it was down that I showed in the first screen shot "Down for Everyone or Just Me" also said it was only down for me which was wrong. Then I remembered "Is it down Right Now" site and I checked it and got the result I posted in the first post. So, while I don't want the site down for everyone, even for a brief time, I'm glad that it isn't just me with bad routing/peering.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
The last one, which started around 2:04, was nothing to do with the site itself. I suspect liquidweb was having some kind of internal vlan problem for 20 minutes judging by the stats I can see.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Well, I guess that is good. I'm glad it wasn't a site problem but Liquidweb seems a bit problematic since you moved the site to their hosting.
--

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
reply to Mele20
It has been down for me about three times the past couple of days with 504 errors. The last error said something like a new script was being worked on. I didn't make a screen shot of it though.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Yeah, I got that message about a new script being worked on also. I thought I made a screenshot of it but I couldn't find it.
--