·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

Ebay shipping question

So, I sold an iPad on ebay, received payment, printed out label using sellers verified address, shipped package...

According to the tracking number, it says that the package was delivered, it also included the time that the package was delivered.

The buyer says he nor his wife ever got the package and is demanding a refund and opened a case.

Who is at fault for the buyer not getting the package that the post office said was delivered. Me or the USPS?
--
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God,
then we will be a nation gone under."

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:9

Did you insure the package for it's actual value?

Please say yes.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

The package was insured

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA
reply to Jackarino

Then I would say USPS.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

The buyer is wording the case like I was the one who actually delivered the package and was the reason the package went missing

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA

Sounds like a mess. Let's see what happens.

Good luck to you.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

Thanks I'll post some updates

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to Jackarino

It's USPS' fault. File a claim.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
reply to Jackarino

Usually for something of this value, you get signature confirmation. Did you get that?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

Just insurance. A lesson for next time is to get signature. Still, this isn't my fault.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

You did nothing wrong (unless you put something other than an iPad in the box). You shipped it to the verified address. You used an eBay-approved shipping company. You have confirmation from the USPS that they delivered it.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jackarino

Sent the buyer a messaging, trying to make a deal. I told him that I would refund 1/2 of the price, since I am still without the ipad and he is out money.

He said that he wants all of his money back.

Why should I refund all of the money when I am not at fault.

USPS is giving me a tough time as far as insurance because they said that they arent responsible once the package is marked "delivered"
--

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

He's scamming you. In the end, he'll end up with an iPad *and* all his money.

If USPS confirmed delivery to his address, include that information with your Paypal receipt ("add tracking info"), and the recovery is on him (if it actually wasn't delivered).
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley

1 recommendation

reply to Jackarino

It's very possible they are telling the truth. Here is a topic where my friend is in the same situation but on the opposite end. Once again USPS claims it has been delivered.

»Gamestop.com online ordering?

HarryH3

join:2005-02-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Jackarino

Too late now, but NEVER, EVER ship something expensive to someone that you don't know UNLESS you pay the extra few bucks to check the "Adult Signature Required" box. No matter how much the buyer bitches about never being home to sign, it's the only way for you to be protected from stuff like this.

Oh yeah, good luck getting anything from the Post Office. They're from the government, they are NOT here to help you.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

From now on, signature will be used. But I still have the proof that the postal service provided delivery confirmation

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Jackarino

How much was this for? Over $250, Paypal *requires* a signature in addition to the tracking. In the paypal dispute, if one is started, once you upload the tracking they will ask for signature confirmation as well. Once you say you did not purchase it, you will automatically lose the dispute and the buyer will get his money back.

To paypal, it does not matter if the item shows as delivered unless it is less than $250. The USPS more than likely did deliver it and this guy is a pro and knows what to look for.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 recommendation

reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

But I still have the proof that the postal service provided delivery confirmation

That prrof gets the USPS off the hook for paying your insurance claim. It does not get you off the hook with paypal since a signature was not requested...if the item was over $250.
--

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Deerfield, IL

1 edit
reply to Jackarino

Maybe I missed it, but I'm not seeing the sales price. Assuming the buyer paid with Paypal, that's going to be the key for you. If the sales price including shipping was under $250, you are supposed to win a dispute with Paypal under seller protection if you have delivery confirmation showing delivery to the buyer's Paypal-confirmed address. (It's always a role of the dice to some extent when buyers file a dispute, because Paypal doesn't always follow its own rules, but they usually do.)

However if the item sold for over $250, you will normally lose the dispute without signature confirmation which Paypal requires of sellers for items this expensive. See Section 11.4 in the Paypal user agreement:
»www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/us···en_US#11
There are other gotchas there as well, such as you must have shipped to the address that Paypal told you to ship to.

Unfortunately there are some buyers who scam the system by automatically filing item-not-delivered claims for items they did receive when the item cost over $250 and the seller failed to get signature confirmation or when the buyer talked the seller into shipping into a different address, common at the holidays when buyers say, oh, it's a gift, please ship somewhere else. You can read more about buyer scams here:
»community.ebay.com/t5/The-Front-···/2662626
It's possible your buyer is acting in good faith and really didn't get the iPad, but some buyers do play these games, sad to say.

Good luck.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Gbcue

said by Gbcue:

Usually for something of this value, you get signature confirmation. Did you get that?

insured items include it all ready
over certain amount..

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to swintec

said by swintec:

Over $250, Paypal *requires* a signature in addition to the tracking

IF he also used eBay's shipping tool to process it through the USPS, wouldn't "signature req'd" automatically be added ? I would argue that it BETTER be.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jackarino

The buyer and I worked out an agreement. I will be refunding half of the purchase price of $255.

I know, about the signature, again, lesson for next time. But ebay nor paypal forced me to add signature, which I think should be mandatory for packages for this value

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by Jackarino:

But ebay nor paypal forced me to add signature, which I think should be mandatory for packages for this value

How would they force you to add a signature? Plus, some sellers may not want to take on the added cost of a signature and will deal with the risk themselves.

The buyer sounds like he got a new ipad for half price.

Let me ask you this, if Dell shipped you your new laptop and it showed as delivered but was no where to be found...would you take half your money back and call it good?

I wouldnt be surprised if he files a dispute with paypal...how have you both been communicating?
--

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

The buyer and I worked out an agreement. I will be refunding half of the purchase price of $255.

I know, about the signature, again, lesson for next time. But ebay nor paypal forced me to add signature, which I think should be mandatory for packages for this value

it's kinda of a admission of guilt on his end for taking 1/2 back and not 100%
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to swintec

We have both been communicating through the ebay case messenger, so all of these messages would be seen by ebay if the case were to be escalated

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

said by Jackarino:

it's kinda of a admission of guilt on his end for taking 1/2 back and not 100%

He claims his wife forced him to make the deal, the gut has 114 feedbacks, all positive
--

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

We have both been communicating through the ebay case messenger, so all of these messages would be seen by ebay if the case were to be escalated

Do paypal dispute agents see messages on ebay? i always saw them as separate despite being owned by the same company.
--

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

If i needed to deal with paypal, I could show them the ebay case messages

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by Jackarino:

If i needed to deal with paypal, I could show them the ebay case messages

Have you used the dispute / resolution manager on paypal before? Any correspondence, at least for disputes I have had, had to happen within there. Stuff outside of that could be faked...unless of course they have access to Ebays system. I dont really know. By the way, from the paypal side of things the buyer has 45 days for a full refund for any reason, completely separate and unrelated to Ebays, or what you may have stated in the auction.

Count your blessings if you get out of all this with just losing the $255.
--

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Jackarino

At this point, i'm happy to refund the $127 and be done with it. Paypal has recalled the dull amount in my account for the dispute.