All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

In what year has the first reail SSD came out?

In what year has the frist retail SSD came out. Wasn't in 2010?
I am not aware of SSDs »www.anandtech.com/show/2225/2 that were released to the consumer market in 2007.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Solid-state disks were definitely available in the mid 1970s. You could probably get them in the 1960s too, but if you had to ask the price, you couldn't afford it.

Prior to reliable flash, the disks were volatile and had to be reloaded after power failure. Generally that was done by copying 'important' files from the system disk at startup.

EDITED to add this link: »www.storagesearch.com/ch ··· sds.html
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

I remember using RAM-based SSD's long ago. In the 80's we upgraded some Fairchild Sentry 21 test systems with solid state disks. Picture many circuit boards covered with dual-inline-package memory chips. The programs were normally stored on tape reels and took a VERY long time to load. By loading them to the RAM disk then we could just select the program we wanted and load 'er up! Each unit had its own battery pack to maintain DRAM refresh during power outages. We've come a long way since then...

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to 47717768

to 47717768
SSDs have been around for a long-long time, but most (all?) of the early ones were DRAM based. I bought my first flash based SSD in 2002 off eBay from some surplus reseller. (still have it somewhere) I also have an I-RAM .

I vaguely remember having some very early RAM based SSD using the floppy port!!
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3
DEC EZ51 solid-state disk

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

3 edits

Jan Janowski to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
I built a 512K drive based on 32kx8 SRAM chips and put it inside a TI99/4A Computer.... and ran everything off 12VDC battery.... It truely was a portable computer.... But honestly, I don't know what year I did it. It was covered in a 3 part article in a magazine called Micropendium. But I forgot when... I was many years ago...
It ran basic or Assembly language programs and booted a loader program that doubled as a stand alone disk OS...

June 1989 is when it was published... It had been around for a year before...
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to dave

Premium Member

to dave
Cool! The ones I used were used on test systems at a DEC semiconductor testing facility, but they weren't made by DEC.
I seem to recall that they had many vertical boards, rather than a couple of horizontal ones. But it was a long time ago, so my memory could be a tad fuzzy.